PDA

View Full Version : PetTalk Meeting 2002?

zippy-kat
11-18-2001, 07:57 PM
Angel and I were wonderin' if anyone might be interested in meeting up sometime in 2002 for a PetTalk get together?

We were thinkin' maybe somewhere in the Lone Star State (TX) but of course that's open for discussion.

Whatcha guys think?

aly
11-18-2001, 08:45 PM
Count me in :) Of course I can't say for sure since I don't know the dates but I sure will try my hardest to make it. Ohh and if its within driving distance, the puppers will come too!

Logan
11-18-2001, 09:24 PM
Tonya, you and I have talked about this already. I'm hoping for a Spring Break visit to the grand state of Texas, but we can't know for sure right now. Unfortunately, if we make that trip, our furry children can't come with us..... :( but I'd love to meet all of you.

I'm open...Spring Break is scheduled for April 1-5 in the Greenville County Schools. And of course, I'm not coming without Helen, so get ready!! LOL!

If its not during her spring break, I wouldn't be able to come until summertime.

Logan

aly
11-18-2001, 09:36 PM
If anyone decides for sure that they are coming to Texas, even if its not during the scheduled Pet Talk meeting, let me know as soon as you decide!!! I would love to make arrangements to meet any of you who come, anytime! I do work weekends, but if known ahead of time, I could get someone to cover for me.

jackiesdaisy1935
11-18-2001, 09:53 PM
I think that would be wonderful for all you young people, but we wouldn't drive to Texas and flying is out of the question for us. The furthest we drive is Palm Springs and into the Ca mountains, but I think it would be a wonderful idea for you all to get together.
Jackie

AdoreMyDogs
11-18-2001, 11:06 PM
Spring break would be a good time. I can say that I doubt I will go in the summer though, I very much dislike the heat and I would be driving. I have been to as much as the airport in TX in the summer and I found the summer heat miserable, but I am just not tolerant of that kind of heat. I can't say for sure if I would do it, but I very well may be able to. I was just saying on Delidog's "response" post, how maybe we could set up a sort of cross state carpool with pettalkers who live relatively close to one another might be interested in trying. I do know that if I am able to meet in TX, I would drive and I would really only want to travel if I have my Graham with me. I don't find travel without my angel much fun. I miss him too much.

So....I would not mind driving to TX, but don't think I could make a road trip any further from MI then that.

So you can count me in as a very deffinate possibility. I love this idea :) I would absolutely love to meet as many PetTalkers as I could. I have grown so close to you all, meeting you would be such an honor :)

SimbaTWonderDog
11-18-2001, 11:16 PM
-feels left out-

Leslie, do you think maybe we can get something together in the month of july?!?

That would be soooooooooo awesome!
Wish i could visit in Texas but id have no way of getting there... and we g to MI every summer so it would be perfect!

AdoreMyDogs
11-18-2001, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTWonderDog:
<STRONG>-feels left out-

Leslie, do you think maybe we can get something together in the month of july?!?

That would be soooooooooo awesome!
Wish i could visit in Texas but id have no way of getting there... and we g to MI every summer so it would be perfect!</STRONG>

YES! We could for sure get together this July. We'll have to arrange something for sure. You know where I live, you said that your sister works in Auburn Hills, right? And you normally come to Flint, right? Well that's not too far from me at all! We'll have to set something up. This summer I won't be working on that darn house like I was last summer that you were here. I don't expect that anything major will be happening this summer. It'll be nice to meet you and that SimSim boy! You're bringing him again this year I assume?

Let's try to make a meeting this summer :)

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

SimbaTWonderDog
11-19-2001, 12:16 AM
I stay in Fenton.... but thats not far.. my mother and i looked on a map... hopefully we will be going... but im not sure because my father has a really bad back. He has a something call DDD Detieorating Disc Disease, he has no disc inbetween some of his bones in his spine. He needs surgery but we dont have the money. He gets angry alot too because of his disease :( i just kinda go away with Simba in my room... geez dogs are great!

delidog
11-19-2001, 05:24 AM
simba, i am just slightly south of you in fl....if deli and i drove to texas....we would have a very empty,big back seat in our vehicle!!!i bet you and simba would fit just fine!!!! the deli dog

auggie
11-19-2001, 05:55 AM
It would be great if you all could come to Texas. Love to meet everyone.
Leslie I know what you mean about the miserable Texas heat. I've been living here for a long time and never get used to it. That's one of the reasons I still don't have a dog. Can't stand being outside during the summer.

11-19-2001, 07:19 AM
I think it would be a lot of fun :) I could see if Carla wants to go. That way her and I can pick up Tonya on the way and off to Texas we go!! We don't have to make it too long... Just a long weekend or something. Don't want to drain the wallets :D!

I really hope this works out. What a blast we would have!

11-19-2001, 08:35 AM
I'm at a crossroad here folks. I would love to me all ya'll. But I am scared of all ya'll too, heh heh heh. Then again, any excuse to go home..hmmmm I'll have to ponder this one. :confused:

11-19-2001, 08:41 AM
Don't be scared... none of us bite. We are all good-natured, lovin' folks :D! That is the best part about this place. The only one you SHOULD be scared of is Tonya.... she worries me ;) hee hee hee

3-greys-and-a-mutt
11-19-2001, 08:51 AM
It seems like we have two major groupings here on Pet Talk: the southwesterners/Texans and the east coasters! Texas is a little far for me, but maybe we could have two meetings?
One in Texas, and one on the east coast or mid-west? I could easily make it to Pennsylvania, Tennessee, New York, etc. for a weekend get-a-way, but Texas would mean a much longer trip (or much more money for plane tickets!) Who knows, though, when my hubby gets a job next year, we may end up out west somewhere - so maybe I can't make it to 'Texas 2002,' but maybe I'll be right around the corner for 'Texas 2003!'

11-19-2001, 08:56 AM
I'm all for the midwest. Then again where ever it is, I sure ya'll will have great fun. Me....i'm still ponderin.

Angel, yeah right...that the worst kind the ones to say to not be afraid...been there done that..LOL :eek:

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-19-2001, 09:00 AM
I was thinking of driving to Texas, but that is a loooong drive from GA.

Maybe I could fly down there. But then again, if I can spare a weekend to go to TX, maybe I should go to Ft. Rucker in Alabama to see my husband. He leaves in January and I am not going with him. Weekends are the only time we can spend together after he leaves. :(

Corinna
11-19-2001, 09:53 AM
Kayann don't feel left out I can't go either too many things to do this next year. Also I 'm one of those NOT in the southwest or east. Sounds like tons of fun though you will have to make a HUGE album.
What ever happened to Iditarod fan,haven't seen her in a while.

zippy-kat
11-19-2001, 09:54 AM
Whew! Ok, Ok, I have lots of ppl to reply too...umm, let's see...

Spencersorry if I missed this, but do you know the dates of 'your' spring break? Dallas/Ft. Worth is actually only a 6 hr drive or so from my parents' house! And I would LOVE to visit the big cat sanctuary...not sure how the puppy ppl feel about that though!

LoganEven if the 'big' meeting doesn't work out I'd still like to try to meet you guys (in TX or thereabouts)...just let me know when!

Jackie/KayAnn/Souraya/CorinnaYou guys will be in our thoughts and you know us, we'll take LOTS AND LOTS of pictures!

Augie (aka Tex) Scared of us? We've all had our shots...and I'll make sure Angel wears her muzzle!

3greys I understand that Tx is a bit far for some of the easterners. I guess I'm at a bit of advantage cos my family (usually) makes a yearly trek to WV to visit our stompin' grounds. Soooo...I'll let all the easterners know if this transplanted hillbilly is going back 'home' this summer! Maybe we could meet up then!

Karen/Paul Could you guys be our guests of honor?

Whew! That was a fairly long post! lol I *think* I answered just about everyone...

Ok, if this is a wkend and/or a spring break trip, I'm all in--but, I also graduate college this May and don't egg-sactly know where I'll be for the summer. I *might* be moving to Kansas City, MO!

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: zippy-kat ]

11-19-2001, 10:07 AM
Zippy-kat, all,

I'd definately consider it. Dallas, eh..only 13 hr drive for me, I did it last year to meet up with some friends, although I still prefer to fly, (i'm not spooked yet, if it's my time it's my time). Since home for me is WAY south Texas, I probably wont get home.

Depending on where and when this is going to be held, like I'd say, I'd consider it. My social skills are terrible though, I'd be in a corner drinking beers or something..LOL

11-19-2001, 10:23 AM
Augie, we would not let you sit in a corner drinking beers... with all the personalities on this board, we are all fun and would pull you right outta that shell of yours!

Tonya, your a brat... remind me to bring a kennel for you to ride in on the way to Texas. :D

11-19-2001, 10:26 AM
HAHAHA, the truth comes out....

On-line I am happy go lucky..in person complete opposite. go figure huh? :cool:

sammi
11-19-2001, 11:26 AM
Sounds like fun to me!!!

karen israel
11-19-2001, 12:37 PM
Don't feel too bad Tex, I'm kinda the same way- computers are a great outlet, although I'm far from shy. You can drink a beer and I'll be sippin my White Zinfedel (the I wanna be wine). Depending what happens with my life by 2002, count me in, preferrable when it's no so HOT! We can all wear name badges with our dog's names.."Hi My name is Cody!" Logan's can be "Hi My Name is HONEY!" :D :D :D What a reception she'd get! ( she really is a honey) or "Honey Butter!!! :D :D :D

zippy-kat
11-19-2001, 12:56 PM
Angel dah-ling...

With the way you drive, I'd be MORE THAN GLAD to ride in the kennel! ;) :D

My spring break is March 22-April 1.

11-19-2001, 01:02 PM
Hey, how do you know how I drive!!! I drive very well thank you :D!

SimbaTWonderDog
11-19-2001, 02:01 PM
DeliDog: Im afraid i wouldnt be able to... because i am young and my parents wouldnt let me... they dont understand how sweet you all are and my mom is still thinking wether or not to let me give out our address..... grrr this is the only reason i hate being young!

On the other had.. wow i have a tough life!! I have to go to the beach everyday with my sister! UHG this is sooooooo hard!!! hehehe ill have to load pics on webshots sometime and show em off!

11-19-2001, 02:32 PM
I wanna be young again please please please :) :D ;)

11-19-2001, 02:55 PM
Naaaah, bein' young ain't that fun. To many things to try to figure out. Once you are older and have learned, things get easier. I still have a long way to go but today I have experienced some things that would have turned out a lot different had they happened a few years back. So, you could say I have a learned a thing or too and it felt great!

Anyway, I hope this meeting really happens. It would be so much fun. I like Spence's ideas of places to meet. I don't think I could bring any of my girls though.... to long of a drive in the car for them :(.

SimbaTWonderDog
11-19-2001, 08:07 PM
But Augie dear, you are young!

11-19-2001, 08:32 PM
Simba, sometimes I forget I am young.
Thanks for the reminder darlin.

Karen
11-19-2001, 09:32 PM
As for Paul and I, keep us updated. That would be too long of a drive - more than 24 hours, I know, as my brother was stationed at Ft. Hood in Texas, and I know it took him more than a day of driving pretty much non-stop to get back to base from Massachusetts. But depending on when and where, we might be able to arrange something - do let us know when concrete "Spring 2002 Texas" plans are made. Also, of course, if any big summer gatherings are happening - after all, I met Sandra, Logan and Helen last summer and we all came away smiling, right? :) And, let's see, if we met Bridget (Daisy's Mom)'s parents ahead of time, maybe she could come with us some time - she and Daisy only about 45 minutes away from us.

Kayann - I completely understand your parents' reluctance to let you give out your address. Maybe if your mom and I, or your dad and I or Paul spoke some time, we could work out some way of you meeting folks with our "supervision" - I'm a real, honest-to-goodness responsible adult! We'll have to think about that if some event comes up that might be feasible for you and Simba to attend and that I'll be there for.

aly
11-19-2001, 10:12 PM
I'm so excited reading all these posts!!! But I am disappointed that not everyone would be able to go. I also feel guilty since Dallas is 3 hours away from me and 2 days away from others. But I will definately be there if it happens in Dallas! And both of my dogs will be there too!!! I probably wouldn't want to leave them alone toooo much in the hotel, but I would love to go to either the Big Cat Sanctuary or the Ft. Worth Zoo.

My spring break is March 10-17, but I could still easily make it during any other time.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-19-2001, 10:45 PM
Being young isn't THAT much fun!!! :D I'm 11... so, yes, I'm young, and it is stressful at times :D!

I probably, wouldn't be able to go to the Pet talk meeting eathier... my parents wouldn't let me, eathier!

crow_noir
11-20-2001, 01:36 AM
sorry to say, but we're not even sure if we'll have the money saved up for our Tennesee(sp?) trip, so i'm pretty sure we won't be able to make it to the "Texas" get together.

If anything is to happen in MI let me know. ;)

shais_mom
11-20-2001, 02:28 AM
Better late then never!!
Tho I would love to see the Lone Star State, I am afraid I wouldn't be able to make it down there. Finances. :( :(
MidWesterners:
Would love to have a MidWest meet! There are a bunch of us too! I have said something to Terri about meeting her when Keegan can travel better, she is only about 4 hours away. Jessica, is about an hour and half and I think Phred is about 2-1/2 hours away, tho I am not sure.
KayAnn and Sarah, I am 26 years old, and have lived on my own for 3 years and my mom is still leery about the people I meet on the internet. So don't think when you get older they stop worrying b/c they donot! :D
Augie(Tex)- Just how young are you? Missed that post!!And did you check out my webshots album to see the new golden addition?
And how are things on the GR site?
I would love to Travel to Tx or Az sometime maybe 2003 or late 2002. I am having a friend move out to Az in Feb. :cool:

lbaker
11-20-2001, 07:04 AM
Well I'm old enough to have a daugher, son-in-law and 2 yr old grandson that happen to live in McKinney TX (North Dallas). Don't get to see them nearly enough from my East Coast digs but what a great excuse for a visit :D
laurie

mugsy
11-20-2001, 07:11 AM
Well guys, I was told by Mike that Dallas would be about a 25-30 hour drive and I HATE to fly so it would be driving. I like the Midwest idea simply because it's the middle of the country. Someplace like Missouri or Kansas would be middle of the road. What do you guys think of that? Just never mind me if it's a problem and I'm babbling! lol I miss you guys a lot by the way!

11-20-2001, 07:47 AM
There can be several meetings. Some of us are grouped together on the east coast, some in the midwest and the rest down south here. So, not everyone can or even has to try and attend one place. Go where you can :D!

We can get a list of people who want to attempt a meeting, then pick a place near each group of people. It sounds like a lot of us are interested in this which is fantastic! Although, I want to meet you Staci!! I need to meet the girl who shares my birthday, age and favorite karaoke song!

I tell you, meeting your online friends is a fantastic thing. I will never forget meeting Carla. Tonya, soon my dear, you will meet me. I promise. My sister-in-law has been asking me to come out to New Mexico for a long time now. I am considering going soon. But, hubby won't like me driving alone.... I, on the other hand, would LOVE IT!! Just me and maybe one dog, on the open road... ahhhhhhhh, I can't wait.

Anyway, we will figure this out and it will be great :D!

Iditarodfan
11-20-2001, 08:50 AM
HELLO, TEXAS SOUNDS WONDERFUL....WHERE, IT'S A BIG STATE. :D WE HAVE MY MOM LIVING WITH US, SO DON'T KNOW IF WE COULD LEAVE THIS SPRING. :( BUT KEEP POSTING AND I'LL KEEP CHECKING IN. MOLLY WOULD LOVE TO MEET HER FUR FRIENDS. ;)

aly
11-20-2001, 10:16 AM
That's a great idea about having the 4 seperate meeting locations, although I'd LOVE to be able to see everyone at once. I know that would be near impossible though. I would be willing to drive out of state, but I get really groggy after about 5 or 6 hours and if I was driving alone, I'd be scared of falling asleep. I'd also probably end up in China knowing how I am with directions :) But I'll see what I can work out.

Albea
11-20-2001, 11:24 AM
All your ideas for Pettalk friends to meet somewhere are great. However, I'm afraid I will have to pass, even if there is a meeting for us Yankees. I'm planning to have knee "Sir Jury" in March, the recovery period is about two months. So, I'll be out of circulation for a while. :( I hope you will all take many pictures and have lots of fun.

wolflady
11-20-2001, 11:29 AM
I posted this idea on the cat forum under Cat Shows, and a couple of people showed interest for all of us out west!! Another location for a Pet Talk meeting 2002...California!!! South, north, middle..no problem!! AmberLee and Noah's Mommy and I were thinking it would be fun, we just need to pick a weekend and a local and we'll be there with bells on! LOL :D

cr7clark
11-20-2001, 11:40 AM
A spring get together or even a summer one sounds wonderful! I could do it, but would like to meet up with someone/carpool if possible. I live in Aberdeen, MD, about 20 minutes away from the PA border. I've driven to Texas before, would be willing to drive anywhere with someone. Laurie in Kensington, how about it?

mugsy
11-20-2001, 12:08 PM
Hi all,

I know that we have a location problem again, but if you want to meet at a zoo, Fort Wayne's Children's Zoo is in the top 10 in the nation. Just another option.

karen israel
11-20-2001, 01:50 PM
Hey Kayann and Sarah,,don't feel bad! Just like Stacy, although I live in a house with my mom, and I'm 1/2 century old...mom still wants me to call if I'm going out late or coming home late. Even when I'm out with my friends and we all head home, we ALL call each other to say we got home! Don't take it as being young or as an insult! As you get older you'll realize it's kinda neat to have people care so much, (not check up) about your safety! You both sound mature. If this happens, I'll also be more than happy to talk to your folks and take you under my wing. I'm sure it'll be like having 50 mothers..just what you need huh?

lbaker
11-20-2001, 02:01 PM
BosMom, sounds good to me, you are only about an hour away :D K9KarenI lives in PA too so let's think about it :)Thelma and Louise hit the road or something :rolleyes: Fun to think about anyway and my grandson is in TX too :)But I have a brother in San Diego and meeting Jackie would be great so I'm up for West Coast too :D :D Let's face it...I'm just anxious to meet such wonderful people but oh my goodness :eek:What a crew :eek:
laurie

jackiesdaisy1935
11-20-2001, 03:54 PM
Putting in my two cents. Was thinking about Palm Springs, California. Palm Springs is close to the Arizona folks, the California folks, don't know about how far Texas is. Palm Springs is on the border to Arizona in the southeastern part of California. There is a nice hotel that welcomes furkids, I believe cats or dogs and is quite reasonable. There is a big grassy park in the back of the hotel. Palm Springs does have an enclosed large Dog Park for large dogs and a small enclosed park for small dogs. There is a sky tram that you can ride from the desert floor to the top of the mountains. There are many restaurants reasonable to expensive. The airport is not far from the hotel. There is a huge, huge outlet mall about 15 or 20 minutes from the hotel. They have desert safaris that you can take riding out in jeeps. No matter when you decide or where you decide you should think about Spring Break, I don't know what it is in the East but the kids really go all out for it here with partying and drinking sometimes brawls.
April and May is a good time usually in the desert, it can get some hot but it's so dry you don't really feel it.
Anyway, just a thought!!!
Jackie
P.S. The pictures of the hotel was in my post when I posted pictures from our vacation we took in October.

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Jackie ]

aly
11-20-2001, 07:27 PM
I've been to Palm Springs a few times. I like it but always try to avoid the college partying scene there. Hehe kinda ironic since I'm in college myself I guess. It is a pretty long drive for me. Maybe I could carpool with some Texans and pick up Angel and Tonya on the way?

11-20-2001, 07:36 PM
Aly that sounds good to me! Palm Springs is only 4 hours from me. I used to drive out to LA every month. Very easy drive from here.... not sure how it is all the way from Texas but it should just be straight across on I 10.

I've driven past that HUGE outlet mall outside of the Springs but never got a chance to stop :( Maybe this time we can :D!

sammi
11-20-2001, 07:46 PM
I think this really sounds like fun!!! I would need to fly to the meeting place. I would be a real chicken to drive!!! Any idea when this would happen?

aly
11-20-2001, 08:50 PM
I would prefer flying too if it was far away. I actually think flying would be safer than trying to drive groggy. But I REALLY REALLY REALLY need to take my dogs. I am dying for you all to meet them!

jackiesdaisy1935
11-21-2001, 09:26 AM
We would have no problem going to Palm Springs however I don't want to interfer with whatever you all think is better for all of you. Maybe you should take a vote on which site would work out the best. That would be the first step. Then the next step would be to take a vote on the month that would be best. I think you have to start from scratch here to see who may come and who can't come. Reservations for hotels should be made way ahead of time, and you can always cancel in case of emergency about 24 hours before arrival.
Jackie

TheAntiPam
11-21-2001, 02:05 PM
Another Califorina Voice - I'm near Los Angeles, and could be there if we meet in CA or in AZ. Also, I'm going to be in Florida in the middle part of March 2002 visiting family, so if the FLA bunch gets together --- So, put me on the list if possible!

P.S. My cats will come along only if its for a group nap! :D

jackiesdaisy1935
11-21-2001, 02:13 PM
O.K. Let's organize a little. Everyone who thinks they could make it to either and would prefer, lets vote.

TEXAS......PALM SPRINGS....ARIZONA

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Jackie ]

zippy-kat
11-21-2001, 02:21 PM
Aly I'm with you, I'd like to avoid the college partyin' scene. (We must be the only kollege kidz who aren't into that...)

**depending on dates of course**
TEXAS--DEFINITELY!
ARIZONA--DEFINITELY!
Palm Springs--a strong possibility!

jackiesdaisy1935
11-21-2001, 02:32 PM
For Me it would be

PALM SPRINGS

Jackie

sammi
11-21-2001, 03:27 PM
Az. would be good BUT Palm Springs!! Texas ok also. I think it would be fun to go to Palm Springs. :cool:

Karen
11-21-2001, 03:44 PM
Would this be for a spring-time date? Are folks still thinking of a Mid-West one this summer?

Withholding my vote so as not to unduly influence anything ...

jackiesdaisy1935
11-21-2001, 04:08 PM
Probably another thing to vote on is the month. Someone else can tell when spring break is I think it is usually the middle of April here. Palm Springs would probably be nice in May or early June. After that too hot in Palm Springs.

Vote on Month

April.....May.....June

Logan
11-21-2001, 05:25 PM
My next big trip will be Texas. So, if I can swing it at the time you will all be there, and Helen can make it, then we'll come then. Otherwise, we'll take our Texas trip sometime, and see whoever we can while we're there. :)

Plan the trip, and if we can come, we will. :D

11-21-2001, 06:24 PM
Well you know my vote would be for Arizona! But, provided hubby lets me go and we can afford it I would be willing to drive to TX or CA :D!

And, I most definitely want to avoid the busy spring break time. Things are more expensive, more crowed and much more crazy!

Daisy's Mom
11-21-2001, 07:41 PM
I realyl wish I could go, guys, but being 16 yeard old and living in MA, it's near impossible! But I hope you all do it and take tons of pictures for the rest of us at home!

jackiesdaisy1935
11-21-2001, 08:39 PM
It looks to me like Texas might have it, I'm sure someone who lives there will know a nice hotel that takes dogs etc and can let everybody know where it is located. It's to far for us to drive and I wouldn't leave my dogs to fly so we will look forward to the pictures, you better take lots of them.
Jackie

sammi
11-21-2001, 08:47 PM
Calif. has not lost out yet....

lbaker
11-21-2001, 09:03 PM
Right now I will float to the heavens to meet with the heathens and wherever whenever..
laurie :eek: :D

aly
11-22-2001, 10:28 AM
Texas would be best for me. But I could also try the other places. If its in Texas, I could make it anytime.

sammi
11-22-2001, 12:54 PM
Just think if everybody got together in Texas in Aly's town she would have us all going home with another pet!! The shelters would get cleaned out of homeless pets. :eek: :D :eek:

zippy-kat
11-22-2001, 06:57 PM
I prefer Texas but I AM willing to travel to other places.

It would be nice to have a west coast meeting, an east coast meeting, and then something/somewhere in between. (Hmm...maybe we could make it an annual event and hold it in different places each yr...)

Yep, there will probably be more and I sure hope I'm there for every one of them!

Karen
11-22-2001, 07:18 PM
Texas seems to be doing well in the "polling" though there are people who couldn't come. Why don't we plan a "Texas Spring Break" when the most people are to make it, and meet maybe at the big cat sanctuary (http://www.bigcat.org/About/about-us.asp) that Chuck (okay, Spencer-the-Lion) mentioned. Then we could plan maybe a Michigan/Midwest type event for some time in the summer, when Texas'd be too hot, anyway, and maybe a third event, some time in the future, for San Diego, and we could all go to the Wild Animal Park there! What do you think, gang?

And Bridget, maybe we could comvince your mom that Paul and I would be acceptable guardians and you could fly with us and come to Texas, too! I can be really grown-up, honest!

aly
11-23-2001, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by sammi:
<STRONG>Just think if everybody got together in Texas in Aly's town she would have us all going home with another pet!! The shelters would get cleaned out of homeless pets. :eek: :D :eek:</STRONG>

You better believe it :D :D :D :D :D

zippy-kat
11-23-2001, 12:30 AM
I think Karen's plan sounds great--count me in!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
11-23-2001, 12:53 AM
Karen, this is why you are the moderator of this board (and supreme ruler of us all :D )... because you are such a diplomat and have such fabulous ideas!!!
Texas is absolutely out of my budget this year (mainly because I only get 10 vacation days and want to use those towards a vacation that my hubby could go on with me over the summer before he hets a "real job"; and because Texas is so far I'd have to buy plane tickets or take at least four extra days off work just for travel time. Trust me, I've been trying to make this work, but there are too many reasons it won't this year :( :( :( )
But a Michigan/midwest reunion is PERFECT for me (even an east coast reunion is probably within only one day's car trip away!) Karen, I am going to place my vote for a summer Michigan area reunion! Maybe we can plan it for when KayAnn is in Michigan with her family! Staci and I are in Ohio, Leslie is near Detroit I believe, and there's several others within a few-state radius. Toledo has a great zoo, but I don't know if it's enough of a draw for those who would have to travel great distances. Maybe Leslie knows of some meeting spots near her?

SimbaTWonderDog
11-23-2001, 03:49 AM
u know Austin is a great city... Nelly was born there!! sorry had to say that. :rolleyes:

aly
11-23-2001, 07:23 AM
Both sets of my grandparents live right outside of Detroit. If there's a Michigan get-together sometime, I *might* be able to make that one too.

jackiesdaisy1935
11-23-2001, 09:24 AM
Karen I think that's a very good idea most like the Texas area, maybe sometime we can have one either in Palm Springs or of course San Diego is nice, great weather year round, we have the "World Famous San Diego Zoo" and also as you mentioned the "Wild Animal Park"
we have "Old Town" the beginning of California missions, we have "Horton Plaza" for those who love to shop or maybe we can get the West Coast People interested in one here.
Jackie

AdoreMyDogs
11-23-2001, 09:43 AM
As I thought twice about the TX meeting, I am not sure I could do it, regardless of how much I would like to do it. I just don't have the money. I will just have to wait and see what things look like when the time gets closer to the meeting. I am all for a MI meeting. MI has some great things to see and do. I also have to add that the Toledo zoo is really good, as Jessica suggested. It may be better then the Detroit zoo, but even the Detroit zoo is much better then it used to be. They just added on a bunch of cool new things.

I would really like to bring Graham and maybe Cassie (depending on the weather, she can't handle too much heat and humidity) if we do meet. I would love for you guys to meet them. Maybe the meeting could have a fun activity (a zoo or something) and also a fun pet friendly activity where those of us who wish to bring our pets can do so. Just a suggestion. If we decide to do a meeting in Michigan I will do my part and find fun meeting places.

lbaker
11-23-2001, 09:47 AM
if you build it.....they will come :p
laurie

mugsy
11-23-2001, 04:38 PM
Summer in Michigan would be ok with me. I can't make it to Texas. Like I said before here in Fort Wayne, we have a great zoo and about 45 minutes north of here we have a wildlife rescue park. They have 2 shows a day, but the 4:00 show is when they feed the animals. Where would we be thinking about in Michigan?

Sudilar
11-23-2001, 04:45 PM
Too bad. A few years ago, we owned a (summer)house in Michigan with lake access. We could have met there!

Michigan may be doable for me, but I don't drive on expressways....

RachelJ
11-24-2001, 06:38 PM
Michigan may be do-able for me too. Would love to be able to go somewhere with the pups. Maybe we could search out some pet friendly motels like the kind Jackie was talking about in Palm Springs.

lizbud
11-24-2001, 07:32 PM
I think a Pet Talk Meeting is a Great idea.
Just waiting till some kind of a plan was
formed..Karen's idea is a good one. A meeting
in the Spring (TX)and another in the midwest
(MI) next summer. Can't make the Spring one
because of cost involved, but the Summer one
in the Mid-west would be do-able.
Don't know about Buddy coming along.He rides well in the car,would be O.K. with
the people, but does bark at dogs he doesn't know...Anyway I think it's a Great idea...

Karen
11-24-2001, 10:35 PM
Okay, Texas folks, when would be a good time for the Spring Pet Talk gathering? Ideas, Texas residents? A weekend would be best for us, but you could plan for a longer time if you wanted, and we'd see when folks could be there. Once we decide on a locale, then we can figure out pet-friendly accomodations, etc., right?

And when folks like KayAnn and Simba find out when they'll be in the Mid-West this summer, folks can start planning that one, too.

lbaker
11-24-2001, 10:53 PM
Well count me in for TX :D maybe BosMom and I can drive w/ someone that needs a ride but I just may fly away....I want to get away...I want to flyyyy awaaay :o sorry, Lenny Kravitz moment...No spring break college nonsense please but anyplace can be good with you guys. Can't bring my dogs..too many, so that limits the time I can be away. But a long weekend or something :confused: will have to spend a few days in North Dallas with my grandson but I can work that in somehow...let's rock and roll :D :D
laurie

zippy-kat
11-24-2001, 11:13 PM
So Tx it is?

My spring break is the very last week of March--I'll bet that's earlier than most people?

shais_mom
11-24-2001, 11:50 PM
I am game for anywhere in MI!
Anytime!!!

purrfectpaws
11-25-2001, 12:13 AM
hey jackie, I would love for it to be in San Diego. My big sis lives there so I def have a place to stay. hey, wouldn't Mission Beach be great for all of us to take our dogs to??
San Diego and the Zoo has my vote :cool:

Gepansy
11-27-2001, 04:00 PM
the only way i could go is if somebody took me.(zippy) :D i'll do anything. :D

jackiesdaisy1935
11-27-2001, 05:13 PM
Carla, I think we are voted out by Texas this Spring, maybe we could get a west coast meeting together in the fall, that is the best time of year here, beautiful, warm and not many tourists here then.
Jackie

Phred
11-27-2001, 09:39 PM
Here's a Trip Planning Aid I found:

http://www.indo.com/distance/.

Enter two cities in the format of "City, ST" and it calculates the straight line distance; or 'as the crow flies', between the locations you entered. Probably need to add 10% to 20% to account for "driving" distance. On the results page you can ask for "See these places on the map" and it draws a basic map showing both locations. Purdy neat; and rather fast in its operation, too. Even finds the lil rinky-dink towns 'some' of us live in :d.

Cinder, Smokey, and I just might be game for trying to make a Mid-West Pet Talkers Party - if the fambly Trakter Kar can make it that far :rolleyes:. Where's Mishy-gan? :p

aly
11-27-2001, 09:53 PM
Phred, I was just looking for a site exactly like that last night when I was trying to figure out if I should take this one internship or not! THANKS for posting that!!

Phred
11-27-2001, 10:04 PM
Glad to be of help, Aly! :D

purrley
11-28-2001, 12:52 PM
Well GOOD NIGHT - all this get together talk happend when I was on vacation from work - no computer at home and absolutely none of you mentioned coming to Utah :D :D :D why don't ya'll come here for the Olympics - we'll all get together in Park City and have a great ole time :D :D . Seriously - I'd love to go to Texas for a get together, but I'm afraid that just wouldn't even be feasible financially for me :( at least not this year) - spent the whole wad on my house - it would take a least a year before I could even entertain the thought of going somewhere.

wolflady
11-28-2001, 06:57 PM
Yes, this year has been pretty harsh financially, what with the economy taking a nose dive which hurt all of silicon valley pretty heavily, then the terrible things on 911. Me getting a 40% paycut and my PTO cut in half doesn't help either. :rolleyes: Funny though, all of the places mentioned would be pretty good for me depending on what time of year it is!! LOL LOL I go to Indiana for 'vacation' a lot as it's my home state, so driving up to MI or IL or OH would be no problem. I also have a sister-in-law living in Austin, TX and I LOVE San Diego!! Right now, I could drive to San Diego no problem, plus I have some friends that live in LA that would go with me :) I'll have to wait and see what happens, but I think all of them are great ideas! :D

sammi
11-28-2001, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Marius's Mom:
<STRONG>Yes, this year has been pretty harsh financially, what with the economy taking a nose dive which hurt all of silicon valley pretty heavily, then the terrible things on 911. Me getting a 40% paycut and my PTO cut in half doesn't help either. :rolleyes: Funny though, all of the places mentioned would be pretty good for me depending on what time of year it is!! LOL LOL I go to Indiana for 'vacation' a lot as it's my home state, so driving up to MI or IL or OH would be no problem. I also have a sister-in-law living in Austin, TX and I LOVE San Diego!! Right now, I could drive to San Diego no problem, plus I have some friends that live in LA that would go with me :) I'll have to wait and see what happens, but I think all of them are great ideas! :D</STRONG>
Silicon Valley, isn't everybody filthy rich there????HA HA
:D :eek: :D

Karen
11-28-2001, 09:11 PM
What are good spring dates for Texas folk?
Spencer? Aly? When should we try to gather some of the Pet Talk Family?

zippy-kat
11-28-2001, 11:20 PM
Ok, this may be one of my *duhm blonde* moments but...

If all (who are traveling) stayed in the same hotel--are we eligible for a group discount?

aly
11-28-2001, 11:54 PM
As long as I know a month or two in advance, I'm pretty sure I can work out almost any time. Hopefully we can all agree on a good time (nervous about this since there's so many of us, I'm afraid some won't be able to come because of a previous committment).

Spencer, when's a good time for you? What about Leah? I wonder if she'd be interested in meeting.

Tonya - We could probably get a group discount rate. I will look up pet friendly hotels for those of us with critters and then call about the discounts. But what city did we decide on? Dallas?

thelmalu99
11-29-2001, 12:24 PM
Wow, I can't believe I never saw this! Thanks Aly and Logan! :)
I LOVE the idea of a Pet Talk meeting! It has been a looong time since I was in Dallas. What a beautiful and CLEAN city! I think I can make it, as long as the airfare isn't too steep. :rolleyes: I'll have to check it out. I think I can definitely do an East Coast meeting, but I would love to be able to make it to the Dallas one! :cool:
I only have one request: can we do it on a weekend? :D

wolflady
11-29-2001, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat:
<STRONG>If all (who are traveling) stayed in the same hotel--are we eligible for a group discount?</STRONG>

This made me think of something....ya'll know how there's clubs for just about everything nowadays? Like my family is a member of the Mopar club out here in CA, and we were a member of the Ford Model A club back in Indiana (car clubs). Being members of the county and state clubs, we would have meetings, and then once a year, there would be a national meeting in a difference place in the US where all the clubs would come together and meet. Is there a such thing as a Pet Club (not counting dog/cat show type things)?? Hey, it's a hobby and a fancy like cars are to some folks. We could plan yearly events and maybe start a trend for state clubs, and maybe a few years from now, have national meets! :D :D :D LOL LOL Hey, it could happen!! LOL LOL Ok, back to reality...

Sammi, unfortunatly most everyone but me is filthy rich here in Silicon Valley!!! :( LOL LOL If I didn't have the support of hubby's salary...I'd probably be living in a cardboard box...that is if I could afford it!! LOL LOL

:rolleyes: ;) :D

sammi
11-29-2001, 02:47 PM
I would love to go any place that you guys decided on. If I can find someone to go with me. My husband would go in a heartbeat if he could get off work.
It would be nice if everyone could stay in the same motel/hotel.
Maybe we could rent the whole place! :D We should get a discount then for sure.
Maybe start a new topic just for everyone to sign up that really plans to go?