PDA

View Full Version : Corkscrew is acting strange

Uabassoon
06-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Since I started packing up getting ready for the move Corkscrew has been acting very strange. For one thing he's been very friendly, he follows me everywhere I go. It's like he can't be more than 2 feet away from me at all times. This is very strange for him, he usually never wants anything to do with me. Then this morning he peed outside of the litterbox. I'm trying to give him all the attention he wants and I've been extra nice to him. Usually when he acts nice it's because he's sick and I can tell by looking at him when he is feeling ill. He looks super healthy right now. My roommate suggested that Corkscrew might think that I'm going to leave him. His previous owner was in the process of moving when she gave him to me and I had just moved into my house when I got him so there were boxes all over the place. If he's scared I want to reassure him that he will be moving with me to, but I don't know how to do that.

PayItForward
06-30-2003, 03:23 PM
Poor Baby. I can understand why he is worried, it must seem to him like life is repeating itself.

When are you moving ?

I surpose the sooner you move, the sooner he'll know he is moving too !

ramanth
06-30-2003, 03:41 PM
I'd say it's stress.

Either A) He thinks you're moving without him... or B) You may unknowingly be stressed about the move and he's picking up on your feelings.

How long till you move? Any way you could give them Feliway/Rescue Remedy or any other calming agent? That's what I suggest. :)

Good luck with your move!

slick
06-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Boy, moving is stressful enough on humans, think what it will do to kitties. He must be reacting to the move itself. I would go with what Ramanth suggested as well as extra hugs and kisses. I really hope the move goes well.

Uabassoon
06-30-2003, 04:48 PM
OMG my poor baby, no wonder he is freaking out. I talked to my friend Emma who was good friends with the girl I got Corkscrew from. All 3 of his previous owners got rid of him while they were moving! And all of this was within a year because he was a little less than a year old when I got him. So now I'm sure that he thinks I will be getting rid of him seeing as how 3 people have already done this to him.

I get the key to my new apt. tomorrow so I'll be spending the next few days moving into my new place. Right now I'm giving him extra treats and giving him lots of love. Luckily we will be moving very soon and he'll realize that he isn't getting dumped off again.

Kim thanks for the advice I'm going to look into getting something to calm him down because I'm sure it will get worse as I actually start to move things out of the house.

krazyaboutkatz
06-30-2003, 11:57 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Corkscrew is so stressed. Too bad you just can't tell him that he's moving with you. Hopefully you'll be able to calm him down. Please keep us updated. Goodluck on the move.

kittens
07-01-2003, 01:59 AM
hate to repeat myself about feliway, but it might help. the pkg says thats one use for it, is when moving... maybe worth a try.

Vio&Juni
07-01-2003, 02:41 AM
Poor Corkscrew, it must be tough on him. What a nice surprise will be when he'll realize he's moving too :)

IttyBittyKitty
07-01-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
OMG my poor baby, no wonder he is freaking out. I talked to my friend Emma who was good friends with the girl I got Corkscrew from. All 3 of his previous owners got rid of him while they were moving! And all of this was within a year because he was a little less than a year old when I got him. So now I'm sure that he thinks I will be getting rid of him seeing as how 3 people have already done this to him.

OMG the poor, poor darling!!! No wonder he is so distressed about the move! It's also quite astounding how cats are able to associate current events with what has happened in the past. Perhaps you can use his intelligence to alleviate the situation ... perhaps, while he's watching, packing his things all mixed up with yours? Or take him to the new place before you move, with a few of his things, and show him that this is where you're all going. It's a long shot ... and cuddles, treats and scritchies will work just as nicely. Good luck with the move.

Lorraine
07-01-2003, 06:05 AM
Oh, poor fella! I can understand why he is stressed, I'm sure
Corkscrew is also picking up on your stress level as well. I have heard that many times cats know excatly how you feel, and he's just as concerned about his mommy being stressed too!
Not to mentioned what he's gone through before he came to you.
Soon you all will be settled, and Corkscrew will realize all is fine!
Good luck to you in your new place!:)
Please give Corkscrew some belly rubs and head sctritchies from me!
Sammy and Romeo send him some headbumpies too!!:D

jenluckenbach
07-01-2003, 06:12 AM
All 3 of his previous owners got rid of him while they were moving!
That is the saddest thing !!! POOR Corkscrew, no wonder he's upset. He will be so relieved when he gets to his new home and finds that you are still there.

Uabassoon
07-01-2003, 12:14 PM
As stressed out as I know he is, I love getting attention from him, it's so rare that it's nice to be able to pet him once in awhile. I've gotten together a bunch of people so I'm hoping that I can get everything moved into my new place today. So if things go well tonight Corkscrew will be in our new place and he'll realize that he really does have a forever home with me.