PDA

View Full Version : A campfire tail?

Denyce
06-30-2003, 02:28 PM
Unfortunately the only pictures I can submit are with words because this took place in the evening. However, Saturday was really pleasent here in Happy Valley. It was in the upper 70's/low80's with low humidity. My husband, another friend and I spent the day picnicing in one of the local state parks. It was a great day of bird and butterfly watching and walking along a stream. When we got home we were just exhausted and took a nap for an hour.

At 8pm my husband and I got up and it was still just so perfect out. Just a bit of a chill in the air but not so cold that you are miserable..just that little bit of crispness. We live on 11 acres in the mountains of central PA so we have a large fire ring in the backyard surrounded by maples and oaks. So we decided to have a campfire and make some s'mores. Now Deirdre wasn't very happy because she had seen very little of me that day. So while I was sitting outside I could hear her just howling and crying. I have never brought them out in the evening or during a campfire but I thought...oh what the heck.

I went in and just got Deirdre. The other 3 just like to take off in different directions and I just didn't have the energy and it was getting too dark by this time. But Deirdre sat near my chair and just watched the coming dusk, the birds flying over head and a bunny eating some grass and dandelions just a bit away. Deirdre being the Mighty Huntress that she is was REALLY watching the bunbun but was staying close....until the bun saw my husband stand to poke at the fire some more...he then took off running for the woods. This of course provoked the predator instinct in my Deirdre and there she was off in hot pursuit for a bunny that was about the same size she is. I wasn't worried because of the size of the bunny and the head start he had and sure enough he was long gone before she was able to get very close but she enjoyed the short thrill of the chase. She came right back when I called her and hopped up in my lap.

So we were able to go back to a very relaxing day of eating roasted marshmallows and watching the fire. Deirdre even found the fire interesting and enjoyed watching the little sparks and crackles. Seeing her however in the firelight was just so beautiful. Her eyes just sparkled and when she turned her head so you could see her profile with all her little hairs just framing her sillouette. It was just an incredibly peaceful moment that I am just putting the wonderful memory in my little memory box to pull out someday when this special moment is needed.

Denyce

ramanth
06-30-2003, 02:34 PM
Sounds like a great day/evening. :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Sounds like a wonderful day followed by a wonderful peaceful evening with husband and kitty. :D Thanks for sharing the stories, it made me feel peaceful just reading it. :)

slick
06-30-2003, 04:13 PM
Sigh..........

What a nice story.

Lorraine
06-30-2003, 06:38 PM
What a beautiful story. I have also lived in PA and it is quite
lovely. That was so nice to read after a long day, it made my evening very pleasant!:)

krazyaboutkatz
07-01-2003, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the nice heartwarming story. :)