PDA

View Full Version : Fisters Journey - A CHEEKY MONKEY!

jonza
06-29-2003, 02:59 PM
My 64th birthday went really well, a bit of clothes shopping in the morning (very rare indeed, now I’m OK for a couple of years!), followed by a Formula One qualification in the afternoon, and a lovely meal in the evening.
Quite satisfactory. :)

BUT! We were once more foolish enough to let Fister out in his yard after about 7 in the evening. He had been out a few days ago but been good and came back on time. This time though, he decided to make a real trip out of it, and went on one of his famous walkabouts. On my birthday of all days.

http://studio16a.dk/Cats/roof-eyes.jpg
He He He, you can’t catch me!

What a sleepless night that became!
He had of course spent his childhood down in the yard, but he has grown a bit softer since then, and a nasty aggressive tuxedo boy has since appeared in the yard and considers it his own. Fister has had a clash with him before, which ended up with him getting an infection in his mouth and losing two teeth. At least the other cat got a good beating and lost a lot of blood, but Fister is not at all aggressive and doesn’t like fighting, so he is always very careful down there nowadays. That’s one of the reasons we have difficulty sleeping when he’s out all night.
He was about to be a good boy and come back up about 10’ish, but unfortunately some kids appeared in the yard and he immediately made himself scarce. So we call him again at 11 and then again at midnight. No sign of him. I get up and go out about 2.30. Still no sign.

Randi tries it about 3 o’clock … and there he is, calm as can be, a real cool cat. He wanders slowly over to the door, stops and begins to wash himself. I know this one, it’s SO FRUSTRATING. He sits about a meter away and just stares at you, giving himself the odd lick now and again. After about 5 minutes of this Randi understandably gives up and came back to bed cursing under her breath. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Then Randi tries again at 5 in the morning - not a whisker to be seen.

At 8.30 in the morning, I go out, and there he is, pitifully hiding up on a roof and miawing, because his enemy the tuxedo is out and about! He scrambles on to his tree, loses his balance and falls over 3 meters to the ground with a terrific thump. :eek: :eek:

http://studio16a.dk/Cats/roof-tree.jpg
Pride comes before a fall!

Then he saunters slowly over to me as if nothing had happened, sits down a meter from me and starts playing Smart Alec again. Aaaarrghhh!! Luckily, he sees the tux again and wanders in. But will he come up the stairs? You must be joking. He decides that this is the perfect time to make a detailed inspection of the stairwell to the cellar. That was it. Enough is enough. He got a bit of boot-assisted take off and was sent upstairs post-haste. :D
Was he happy to be back? Certainly in no way that I could perceive. He was actually really miffed at the treatment that he had received, and went straight under his wardrobe in a big huff to sulk. He slept there for about 8 hours, then got up for a snack and continued his sleep on his armchair. I definitely wasn’t flavour of the day, he completely refused to recognise my existence, and if I stroked him or talked to him, he would ignore me and just kept his eyes tightly closed if I came anywhere near him or petted him. This has happened once before, when I turned round in bed not knowing he was behind me, and he got a sharp elbow straight on the nose. He wouldn’t talk to me and refused to recognise me for two days after that!
He’s been back for two days now, and apart from coming up onto the bed and getting a couple of perfunctory cuddles in the middle of the night, he has done nothing but sleep and eat. Oh well, he’ll get over it soon enough.

Good Grief, can’t cats be FRUSTRATING sometimes! :mad: :mad: :mad:

john

PS. It’s now Sunday evening, and everything is back to normal again. He just CANNOT understand why humans get so uppity about loosing a few hours sleep at night. In fact, he’s out on the back stairs now, howling and calling to be let out again. FORGET IT!

AmberLee
06-29-2003, 03:17 PM
John,

I love your stories, although this one had me quite worried at times. So glad your furry tormentor is home safe and sound. Give him a cuddle for me as soon as his majesty allows it, of course. :rolleyes: ;) :D

PayItForward
06-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by jonza
PS. It’s now Sunday evening, and everything is back to normal again. He just CANNOT understand why humans get so uppity about loosing a few hours sleep at night. In fact, he’s out on the back stairs now, howling and calling to be let out again. [b]FORGET IT!
LOL. :D

Don't you just love cats selective hearing/memory but I'm so good, let me out {cute face tilted upwards}

NoahsMommy
06-29-2003, 03:59 PM
Silly Fister! Don't be doing that anymore...I know that your ears automatically close when mama and dad want you to do something...but try to keep them open next time. ;)

Cataholic
06-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Fister, you are a nawteekat! Your daddy didn't want this grief on his birthday, no less. I am very sad to hear that it is an aggressive tuxie giving you the whatfor. I assure you that if Tex was near you, he would straighten that tuxie fellow out right away. Now, behave!!

Barbara
06-30-2003, 03:07 AM
That's so true -it is impossible to influence a cat who minds his own business.

And I wouldn't have slept too knowing that the boy was outside.

Sometimes Filou walks around, looking cute. I make strange sounds to get him near me. Ignores me. Finally I catch him giving him a cuddle. He somehow accepts it for 5 seconds with a kind of rolleyes gaze (these meowmies -crazy are they!) and then wriggles himself free and goes exactly to the place it all started and continues his way:D

Which leads again to the question: How do they see us?

Anyway I am sure Fister enjoyed his night out, including all the exciting adventures and maybe even falling from the roof:D

Pam
06-30-2003, 06:49 AM
First of all, Happy Belated Birthday John! I love your Fister stories and this was no exception. Sorry about the fall out of the tree but he appears no worse for it and the photo certainly made us all feel that we had been there! It seems you can take the kitty out of the yard but you can't take the yard out of the kitty. :) I had to smile about his timing for a good groom. :rolleyes: My two always feel the need to groom themselves after they have been chastised for something like being found in the middle of the kitchen table. I think they feel it makes them look nonchalant and completely unbothered by the rude humans. CATS! Yes they do try to maintain the upper hand while adding to the gray hairs in their humans' heads!! :)

ChrisH
06-30-2003, 07:32 AM
Lol, what a character your Fister is!:) Which is good for us if not for you, because we get so many great stories for you to tell us out of his antics!!:)

Glad you enjoyed your birthday:) .....umm, John, what is a Formula One qualification? Something to do with car racing?

Chris

Edwina's Secretary
06-30-2003, 08:58 AM
Frankly Fister....a dead mouse would probably have been a better birthday gift! :D ;) :rolleyes: :D

Kona & Oreo's mom
06-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Fister, you should have been nicer to your person on his birthday! But I hope that you had a fun evening out and about, and I am glad that you are home where it is safe now. :)

jonza
07-01-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Pam
My two always feel the need to groom themselves after they have been chastised for something like being found in the middle of the kitchen table. I think they feel it makes them look nonchalant and completely unbothered by the rude humans.
Yes! That’s certainly true with Fister. If he gets a good ticking off for being noisy in bed or something like that, he will suddenly get this frantic need to wash himself EXTREMELY THOROUGHLY! Nothing in the world will put him off, not even a biff on the head. :eek:

I must admit that Sara is right too, a dead mouse would somehow have shown just a little bit more respect I feel! ;)

… and yes, ChrisH, Formula One is the ultimate in single seater car racing.

We don’t really have to worry about Fister by the way, he has fallen off roofs before, and it hasn’t dampened his desire to go walkabout in his yard in the least. I think he’s hooked on the adrenalin rush, because he’s always very nervous but just has to give it a try. He was out again this morning, which is very unusual. He went straight up on the roof and sat around in the rain for a while looking a bit bored. Then he saw me and started his pitiful “please come and get me” miawing. I gave in and went down to fetch him.

I might as well accept the fact, he’s IMPOSSIBLE!!! :mad: :D :mad: :D

john

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-01-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by jonza
I might as well accept the fact, he’s IMPOSSIBLE!!! :mad: :D :mad: :D

:D :D :D
But that's why we love them so much.
:D :D :D

momoffuzzyfaces
07-01-2003, 11:47 AM
Cats! Sometimes you don't know whether to hug them or strangle them!

John, about the Formula One: were you driving?:D

jonza
07-01-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
John, about the Formula One: were you driving?
Goodness me no, I don’t think I could handle 900 horsepower in a 500 kg car!!
But I’ve flown in a Lancaster (World War 2) bomber when I was 17 - THAT was an experience! :eek: :eek: :eek:
My last job before leaving England was actually working on a Formula One car, as mechanic and detail design draughtsman. I have always been mad about the sport, wouldn’t miss a race for the world.

… and Debbie you are absolutely right. It’s the fact that Fister is impossible that provides THE CHALLENGE and makes it all that extra bit interesting!

john