PDA

View Full Version : Who is looking for a job?

bnormal
06-29-2003, 11:05 AM
Inspired by Payitforwards' post on a new job (congratulations)...who among us is unemployed and looking for a job?

I've been out of a "regular" job for over a year...I am one of those "unskilled" people...been in sales for the last 10 years!

I have done some subcontract work for a few companies and have worked at a few temp agencies in the last 12 months....

Good jobs in Columbus, Ohio are becoming tough to find!

:D :D :D

PayItForward
06-29-2003, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the Congrats ;)

I just wanted to add that I had been out of work for the past 11 months due to redundancy.

I struggled to find a new job in Sheffield, as I was considered to over qualified (my degree).

Companies couldn't understand why I would take a pay drop for a Sheffield based job, the fact that my partner & house was here is not reason enough ??

As I know how hard it is to be out of work (and I have a 50/50 chance of being out of work again in 3 months), I pass on positive thoughts & prayers to bnormal and all PT's looking for work.

bnormal
06-29-2003, 12:23 PM
Thanks PIF!

:D :D :D

moosmom
06-29-2003, 06:48 PM
Bnormal,

I've been unemployed since February. I quit my job at a walk-in psychiatric center because it was either THEIR sanity or MINE!!! Guess who won?

Fortunately I'm collecting unemployment from Connecticut (I moved to Michigan in September) and wasn't eligile for Michigan unemployment cuz I'd only been working in the state for 4 months. It was actually a GOOD thing because I'm actually surviving on it.

The job market sucks right now. I'm SURE it has to do with the economy. I've been sending out resumes via fax, snail mail and e-mails and haven't gotten as much as a "Thank you, we'll keep your resume on file".

I'm trying not to let it get to me. I'll start worrying more as the end of my benefits rolls around (January '04) Don't know what I'll do then. Probably have to work 2 part-time jobs just to make ends meet. Or stand on a main street corner with a "Will Work for Food" sign.

Good luck in your job searches Bnormal and PayItForward.

Cincy'sMom
06-29-2003, 06:54 PM
I think it is hard time to find jobs in the Ohio/Michigan area. My mom had been looking for work since last August, and has just accepted a secretarial position at a vet's office, statring the week after the 4th. My dad's company closed last Sept. and he is still looking...

Good luck finding something!!!

binka_nugget
06-29-2003, 07:09 PM
I've been looking for a job for a few months now...being a youth, I don't think too many places are willing to hire me. My first job was at Subway *shudders*. I quit in september although I should have stayed...If I had known we were getting a dog the next month, I would have stayed and had more money to spoil Kai with lol. I've been applying at a few places...mostly subway because it's not so bad and I'm more likely to get hired by a subway rather than somewhere else. Oy..

Kfamr
06-29-2003, 07:28 PM
If i wanted a job I know of two places i could start tomorrow. Chick-Fil-A and my grandfather's business, Family Appliances. Neither I want to do, only because i hate being around people. I like to be left alone to work.

tikeyas_mom
06-30-2003, 12:30 AM
Hey, I have been unemployed since jan, I quit my job at little caesars. I hated working there, it was heel and everyone was rude and annoying and most of all LOUD. I had to get out of there because they were underpaying everyone + they were fundling my money, they said I lose checks when they did. :mad:...

So Now I am looking for a summer job anywhere, EXCEPT pizza places or hot fast food restaurants. I would like to work at a pet store, but ya they are all really low on customers and cant afford to hire. :rolleyes:. but I am trying to apply places outdorrsy, like orchards ect.. I havent had luck so far.

bnormal
06-30-2003, 07:31 AM
I interviewed a few weeks ago at a "retail" music store. The guy told me starting pay was 515, I asked, "a week"? He said, "no, an hour"....I started laughing right in his face!

moosmom
06-30-2003, 02:28 PM
$5.15 an hour??? I would've laughed in his face too!!!