PDA

View Full Version : How did you name your dog?

GoldenRetrLuver
06-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Well, im bored again...lol. How did you decide to name your dog what you did? Were you thinking of any other names for them?

Daisys was either going to be Mandy, or Daisy. So, i guess we decided on Daisy!

Mollys was already choosen before we got her. We thought Molly was a good name for a collie. ;)

jenfer
06-27-2003, 09:20 PM
hmm... my sis is the one who named chilli... there just happened to be a restaurant near her school called "Chilli and Pepper" (or sth like that)... and that's how she is name. :rolleyes: but this name kind of suit her, cuz she is spicy. :D hahahaha...

Christiansmommy
06-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Well, we wont officially have her in our house for another 2 weeks, but we have named her already...its Mocha. She is a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, so I like to go with theme names...since she is a swiss dog, and swiss mocha is a type of chocolate....i just liked it and it fit! She also has browm in her coat, with Mocha is the color of too....i love naming pets...it is fun to get creative!

Robyn

binka_nugget
06-27-2003, 11:13 PM
I went through loads before I picked Kai. We narrowed it down to blaze, chip, mocha, skittles, pogo, zeke, coco and keiko (if we got a girl). The name Kai wasn't even in the list until the very last moment. I had returned from a school camping trip a few days before we were deciding on names and one of my leaders happened to be named Kai-tech. I had a bit of a crush on him lol (ack..I like everyone lol)...and decided to shorten it to Kai.

Foam
06-27-2003, 11:26 PM
Hmm..
Darlin went for months as just Puppy. I named her Spanky for a while, LOL, but then when we took her to the Groomers, they came up with either Sunshine or Darlin. We're from Oklahoma, so Darlin was of course out choice! Interesting, eh? ;)

Kfamr
06-27-2003, 11:56 PM
The lion King is my favorite movie.... I think it pretty much says for both of their names.

The Cat Factory
06-28-2003, 12:56 AM
The first thing that we called him was Buddy, so that;s what name we dedided on :D

Cheshirekatt
06-28-2003, 01:04 AM
Contrary to popular belief, Wilma isn't named after Wilma Flintstone. She's actually named after a character from the cheesey 70's Buck Rogers tv show.

Joxer is named after Ted Raimi's character on Xena. Who's full name is Joxer The Mighty, Master of Mayhem. :)

Buford is named after Jackie Gleason's character in Smokey and the Bandit. Buford T. Justice.

gkristian
06-28-2003, 02:57 AM
We named Foxy Foxy because we thought that he looked a little bit like a fox

Cisco's Mom
06-28-2003, 05:49 AM
Cisco was named after an old tv show called, "Cisco the kid". I also thought about calling him Pedro, but decided I liked Cisco better. I'm glad to, because I have met other chi's with the Pedro name, but not Cisco!!:D

anna_66
06-28-2003, 07:00 AM
Our Angus boy is named after Angus young from AC/DC:p

We hear the song Roxanne when we were bring Roxey home, so we just shortened it to Roxey:)

Huney was so scared when we got her home, I just kept saying "Come here honey" and she came, so we stuck with Huney:D

allanimalswelcome
06-28-2003, 07:23 AM
Origanlly Patrick was going to be Benny. But then my sister came up with the name Patrick and though it was heavily disputed Patrick won.

My dad named Leo. He has a "mane" that looks like a lions kinda.

My deceased dog Sylvie was named after my dad drew names out of a hat and my oldest sister's name was picked. Thank god for that though because we were absolutly going to name her whatever was picked out of the hat and my brother Peter put the name Booger!

~Rachel

Airedalekisses
06-28-2003, 08:44 AM
Honey was named because she was honey coloured. Paddel is a German name which means to walk funny. Dizzy was for Disraeli-my mom is a big history buff. Trollie was named after a stuffed wire fox terrier on wheels-like a Trolley car. Max was named after a character in a children's book. Dippy was a foundling whose name was Serendipity.

primabella
06-28-2003, 08:49 AM
Mickey was one of those names I never liked for a dog and wasn't even on my list of names. We were most probably going to name him Simba but last minute I suggested Mickey and everyone in the family agreed on it. No one ever agreed on a name so it was a keeper ;)

cloverfdx
06-28-2003, 08:51 AM
:)

well clover was named after a little black poodle in the VC Andrews, books (flowers in the atic, serie's) even though she isnt a little black poodle :rolleyes: , she was never going to be anything else :) but has alot of nick names now

penny got her name because when we bought her home she was soooo tiny, ma said she was the size of a penny coin lol, she was going to be chrissy or tinsel or some other silly xmas name , she was born 25/12/97

theodore went through alot of names in the first week and i finally said theodore (was reading the news paper and there was a story about a policeman senior sargent theo?????, who had done somthing heroic) so theo stuck :)

RubyMutt
06-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Ruby was given her name by her previous owners. When they surrendered her to the HS the HS kept her name. She was 2 years old when she came to live with me and I didn't want to confuse her by changing her name then (I like her name anyway :D), so I kept it.

CountryWolf07
06-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Anna already was named when we adopted her from APL.. and Rosie's name.. well, my brother came up with Rose, and my dad said how about Rosie - and it just clicked. :) I wanted to name her Phoebe or Daisy.. but I'm happy with the name Rosie!

CamCamPup33
06-28-2003, 03:23 PM
hmmm.. We named cami cami because its an odd name.. :D not many people name their dogs cami so i decided that would fit her well.. Plus we wanted to name her brandy but my sister said it reminded her of the singer so she didnt want to name her that.. :rolleyes: and she was the color of brandy.. the acholic beverage.. hehe.. We named cali , cali well she was already named when we got her but i figured because she is a CaliCo cat. CALI would suit her! :D

*LabLoverKEB*
06-29-2003, 10:34 AM
My mom named Sadie!:) ;)

bnormal
06-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Callihan was named after the Clint Eastwood character in the Dirty Harry movies...Inspector Callahan

Mitchell was named by the Doberman Rescue of Columbus

:D :D :D

captain
06-29-2003, 06:11 PM
Lets talk about my other 2 dallies first ....

Dalmalli Houston - called that because the winner of the Dalmatian International competition was called Dalmalli.

Leroy Brown .... - the male we found, no idea what his name WAS, but to call him I always said "come here big boy", and Leroy is almost the same .... AND he suited Leroy Brown because he was the "baddest man in the whole damn town!" (like the song)

Current pups :

Captain - was puppy for about a week, until my husband suggested we call him Jim Beam (?????), and I said "You don't even drink Jim Beam. You drink Captain Morgan ...... so Captain was BORN!

Ruby - birthday is in July (birthstone is Ruby). BUT actually because she had Scarlett piece of wool around her neck for the 1st 8 weeks of her life .... (that is how Dalmatian breeders identify the pups when they are born - different colour wool ID's which pup is which because they have no identifying marks when born!!) Scarlett = Ruby ... get it??

And Jo the bird - 'cos that is what they said it was. We now call her JoJo, or JoBird

lovemyshiba
06-29-2003, 09:45 PM
It's fun to read how all the pups got their names!!!

Kito's mom's name was Nikita--we liked that, but didn't think it suited a boy, so we shortened it, and made it what we thought sounded like a boy's name.

Abbey was already named--at the Beagle rescue, they got 3 beagles from Ohio, A, B, and C--Abbey, Baxter and ??? We kept it, because she knew it.

Riley came to me with the name Dominic--I thought it was dumb, and he didn't know it, so we changed it. I went through the past dogs of the day, picked two names, and set up a poll--Riley was the winning name!!

clara4457
06-30-2003, 07:36 AM
Leo was a stray from the shelter and didn't have a name so my sister and I sat outside with him and just fired off names at him until he responded to one. Leo perked his ears - so he was forever named.

Penny Lane's name just popped into my head as I was driving to pick her up at the shelter after my application was approved. She responded immediately.