PDA

View Full Version : How long should a cat be in labor?

Chinadoll
06-27-2003, 10:11 AM
I have a co-worker whose cat is very very pregnant. She 's(the cat) been meowing for the last couple days constantly. She (the co-worker) said that as of yesterday evening the cat seemed to be in labor. Without being too graphic...bottom swollen, wet, and a little dilated? What are the signs of impending kitty labor? How long before we should be worried that Mamma cat needs to go to vet if kittens aren't coming? I told her if it was me, I would've been at the vets by now. But, I don't know if I being overly paranoid and this is just a normal progression of labor for a cat. Anyone have any experience??

catland
06-27-2003, 10:50 AM
Cats will have visible contractions. When its time to deliver, they'll want to go to a secluded place to give birth. Do these people have a box ready for her?

A phone call to a vet certainly wouln't hurt if it seems like she's been in labor for a while (I don't know how much "a while" is, but a vet should be able to answer that question).

Chinadoll
06-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks. I'm having her call the vet. She does have a bed set up. She said years ago when her other cat had kittens, she(the cat) gave birth on her bed so she has learned to fix a place for the cat. This is a stray she found outside already very pregnant. Which is why I'm concerned that their might be complications and said go to the vet! I'm known as the pet lady in the office. They think I'm insane for having 8 critters, but yet that somehow qualifies me as having vet knowledge. Whenever someone's dog so much as sneezes I'm asked for my opinion. I only wish I knew.

Chinadoll
06-27-2003, 12:13 PM
*update* Her 14 year old daughter is home with Mama cat. She just had 3. 1 red and 2 black and white kitties. Instead of using the box they set up, she used the towel next to her litter box. Go figure. I'm still concerned about complications, so I told her to have her daughter keep in contact with the vet just in case. Thanks everyone. Why do I have the nagging feeling that I'm going to end up with a kitten in a couple months?

Barbara
06-27-2003, 12:51 PM
One of my cats 20 years ago got her kittens on some old clothes on the bottom of a closed cupboard -I found her the next morning, she was lying in there, nursing the babies and purring. And I was astonished how perfectly clean it all was as cat moms eat all the messy stuff. Ok a little blood on the clothes but nothing gross.

They sound so sweet and at the moment we expect seeing pictures of them so we can consult you in finding the right one for you:D :D :D

Congratulations for being their auntie:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-27-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Chinadoll
Why do I have the nagging feeling that I'm going to end up with a kitten in a couple months?

:D :D :D
Maybe because you're known as "The Pet Lady." :D

Chinadoll
06-27-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Barbara

They sound so sweet and at the moment we expect seeing pictures of them so we can consult you in finding the right one for you:D :D :D

Congratulations for being their auntie:D

Funny you should say that, Judy(my coworker) was just saying how she should bring home the office digital camera so she could bring pics for me took pick one out. I'm still not committing to anything...yet!

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Maybe because you're known as "The Pet Lady."

lol...Don't I know it. *sigh* Despite everything and no matter how many critters I have, there will always be room for one more. Reputation well earned, I guess. ;) :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-27-2003, 03:30 PM
Despite everything and no matter how many critters I have, there will always be room for one more. Reputation well earned, I guess. ;) :D

Oh, oh....

To: Joey - c/o United States Marine Corps

Joey stop
get home quick stop
critter total growing stop
hurry!!! stop

Chinadoll
06-27-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Oh, oh....

To: Joey - c/o United States Marine Corps

Joey stop
get home quick stop
critter total growing stop
hurry!!! stop

LOL!!!:D :D He would so not be pleased if he came home to more kittens. But, he'd get over it. Fail safe method...plop said critter into his lap and tell him to look into its eyes and tell it can't live here. Works every time. ;)

Good news today....Got word that his battalion will be home for Christmas...could be sooner, but at the latest Christmas. At least I have a date now instead of all the speculation and rumors that have been flying around thr troops and family members.

Barbara
06-28-2003, 09:21 AM
We have seen pix of Joe and can't imagine he won't be happy with a kitten.:D

And this is a traditional issue: men go to war, they come home, there is a new baby :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-30-2003, 10:05 AM
Good news today....Got word that his battalion will be home for Christmas...could be sooner, but at the latest Christmas. At least I have a date now instead of all the speculation and rumors that have been flying around thr troops and family members.

That's great news!!!:D :D

NoahsMommy
06-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Yay!!! That's wonderful news!! :D

iceyshiver21
06-30-2003, 11:58 PM
Bluey had her kittens in my Dresser Drawer...luckly for me she woke me up first...I hand raised her and had to help her raise her kittens since her mommy died before her eyes where open..most of it was instinct though...She wasnt in Labor long...only an hour tops for 2 kittens.