PDA

View Full Version : poor misty, need advice

cali
06-26-2003, 02:13 PM
ok misty got to run out on a farm for 3 hours yesterday, but her pads are not very tuff yet, and she ripped up her pads a bite. its not bad or anything, they are just a little sore on all 4 feet, is there anything I can do or put on her feet to make her feel a bite better? it hurts her to stand on them, but she insistes on following me around. so far I have rubbed a little lotion on her feet to make them feel a little better, and she is in her crate with a stuffed kong right now to get her mind on it, is there anything else I can do to make her feel a little better? :confused:

wolfsoul
06-26-2003, 02:24 PM
You could try soaking her feet, it would take the pain away, but it would also make her pads even more soft.

I say, just let her run it off. It will numb any pain and it will make her pads rough and tough for any future running around. :)

aly
06-26-2003, 03:24 PM
I'd go see a vet. Even if its a minor thing now, it could get worse if not attended to properly.

Airedalekisses
06-26-2003, 06:21 PM
Aww poor little paws, my fox terriers used to love to run on the tennis court. I would put some olive oil on the pads and the next day they would be a bit tender but fine.Plus if they lick the paws no awful tasting lotion.

binka_nugget
06-26-2003, 06:32 PM
i'd try soaking it like wolfsoul said...maybe some chilled water? or warm? lol...i'm not sure which one would be better..and maybe a sort of gentle masage

sabies
06-26-2003, 11:53 PM
I would go see a vet too. I had a dog who was older and her pads cracked from walking on sidewalks too much. I took her to the vet and they gave me some kind of ointment - since it was so long ago I don't remember what the ointment was or what other advice the vet gave, sorry :(.

chloe's mom
06-27-2003, 10:51 AM
Poor Misty.... I bet she had a lot of fun, though! If her pads are actually cracked, I would recommend putting a little Neosporin (triple antibiotic ointment) on the cuts. I've had a little experience with this because when we take Chloe to the river, she will run around until her pads start to bleed. She loves the water so much, but I have had to start bringing her home early because she has so much fun swimming and running that she won't stop until it's too late. And then when we get home she licks her little feeties and makes them worse. I put Vick's vapor rub around (not touching, just surrounding) the affected area so she doesn't lick at herself. If I can convince her to not lick the affected area, she's usually ok the next day and completely recovered the day after that.

Good luck with Misty's tootsies...

cali
06-27-2003, 11:58 AM
oh her paws arent cracked, the top layer of her pads on all her feet rubbed off thats all, her feet are just a little sore. I was suggested bag balm, to put on it?? anyone know what this is??? I was told it will help her paws heal faster:confused: I have never heard of this though?