PDA

View Full Version : New Project at the shelter

moosmom
06-26-2003, 09:26 AM
I now have a new mission at the shelter.

There are 3 feral kittens, about 5-6 weeks old that need socializing.

Smokey grey kitty (male) I named Tucker, beautiful orange tiger female named Rosie, and a black and white male I named Deke.

I am so excited because I love working with feral kittens. I gave them all baths yesterday (now that's starting out on the right foot). The sooner they come around, the sooner they can be adopted.

Yipppppeeeeee!!!!! And no, I'm not taking them home, I'm going to work with them at the shelter.
:D :D :D

aly
06-26-2003, 09:32 AM
I just started volunteering with one of the feral rescue groups in my area. I'm awaiting my next foster feral babies :) So excited!

catland
06-26-2003, 10:45 AM
That's such a great thing to do. Give them lots of pets and kisses for me. Will you be able to take pics?

K & L
06-26-2003, 11:03 AM
Oh I just love working with ferals! Good for both of you. Foods the best trick to get them to trust you! Hmmm now that I think of it, it's the best trick with me too!:D

moosmom
06-26-2003, 04:51 PM
Well, It only took Rosie 1 day to come around. I sat there whispering and singing to her and she began to purr. When I put her back in the cage and took Tucker out, she was jealous and started meowing and putting her paw through the bars.

Tucker and Deke still have a little ways to go. I'll be back there again tomorrow and will keep you posted on their progress.

moosmom
06-28-2003, 09:21 AM
:( :( :(

I went into the shelter yesterday to see and work with my three babies. When I looked in the cage, there were only 2. At first I thought Deke had been put in the isolation unit. I found out that he died Thursday night :( :( :( :( . I am SO upset about this. This poor little baby died ALONE in the middle of the night with no one there to cuddle him and tell him it was okay to go to the Rainbow Bridge. I am devastated. If I had noticed that there was anything wrong or that he was suffering, I would've asked that he be pts so he'd have no pain.

This past week at the shelter has been the absolute PITS!!! They also had an 8 month old orange tiger named Matt that bit someone who came into the shelter. While there yesterday, I put my hand in the cage to pet him. He gave me love bites, but nothing that drew blood. I begged them to let me try and work with him and they said no, that he was to be euthanized last night.

If this keeps up, I'm going to take a break.

BastetsMum
06-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Oh no :( I am so sorry to hear that. Did they tell you what Deke died of? Will it spread to the other kitty's?

I am sorry that the older cat is being euthanised because of stupid people. It makes me sad and angry. Don't give up your shelter work you are making a difference.

moosmom
06-28-2003, 06:36 PM
They have no idea what Deke died of. Isabella (f/k/a Rosie) and Tucker seem to be thriving and are no longer feral. When I walk in the room, they run up to the bars of the cage and meow. Now that's progress!!!

Matt is still here too. I guess they must've forgotten he was in the nursery, which is good for him.

krazyaboutkatz
06-28-2003, 09:13 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Deke's death. :( Hopefully Rosie and Tucker wil be able to get loving forever homes. I also hope that they'll reconsider and let you work with Matt. It's so sad when people won't work with animals and want to euthanize them instead. :( My new furkid Sky is somewhat of a biter and I'm still trying to work with him on this.

IttyBittyKitty
06-28-2003, 09:19 PM
Play hard at the RB, little Deke. Moosmum, I can understand why you would want to take a break after what happened to Deke, the orange kitty and Caesar :(

But! Remember how cute little Rosie and Tucker are

kimlovescats
06-28-2003, 09:41 PM
So sad about the passing of the little one.... but keep up the wonderful work at the shelter.... those babies need people like YOU!!! Chin up, and back to work!;)

HayleyRosie
06-30-2003, 07:00 AM
So sorry to hear about little Deke. Hopefully Rosie and Tucker will find forever homes really soon.

moosmom
06-30-2003, 02:57 PM
Well, Tucker and Isabella (f/k/a Rosie) have gone to foster homes!!! :D :D

There is some good and bad news though. The good news is Matt got a reprieve and is now up for adoption!!! :D :D

There were 4 kittens that I named Dave, Marina, Lexie and Mollie who were about 4 weeks old and learning to eat on their own, which means I had to bathe them daily!! Anyway, when I went in yesterday, there was a note on the desk that Dave was almost dead from dehydration. They managed to get him back, syringe feed him and give him subcue fluids so he bounced back. I prayed all last night that he'd make it through the night. :( Unfortunately he didn't. :( And, Farrah, who was in the cage with the little tortie who had to be euthanized, also had to be pts because she was so weak. :( :( It just never friggin ends. :(

Rest in Peace little ones. I'll miss our smoochies. Be happy at the Rainbow Bridge. You're now free of pain.

NoahsMommy
06-30-2003, 03:03 PM
I'm so sorry Donna. :( :( :( :(

ramanth
06-30-2003, 03:45 PM
*HUGS* to you Donna.

Be at peace knowing that they knew love from you. They didn't die alone. They were with their siblings, knowing you loved them and safe inside instead of out on the street.

Take care at the Rainbow Bridge sweet babies.

catland
06-30-2003, 03:54 PM
Wow. I can't imagine the emotional highs and lows you must be going through on a daily basis.

slick
06-30-2003, 03:56 PM
Oh Donna, that must be so heartbreaking!! Hugs going out to you for all you are doing. RIP little ones for now you can grow up big and strong at the RB.

krazyaboutkatz
06-30-2003, 10:06 PM
This is so sad. :( At least now they're up at the Bridge healthy and happily playing. RIP sweet kittens.

moosmom
07-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Three more feral kittens came into the nursery the other day. All from the same litter. One, a black and white, will come around eventually. He's still a little unsure of hoomans but I know it's only temporary. I wrapped him in a towel and just kissed him and whispered to him. He took it very well.

The OTHER two on the otherhand are vicious. The poor things are terrified and from my experience, are probably not going to be able to be socialized. When I opened the cage door, one of them lunged at me and the other one try to get out. Of course, I got scratched and bitten (nothing serious). I tried to pick one of them up with a towel to protect myself, all heck broke loose. Another shelter worker also tried and she said the same thing happened to her. I'm afraid that they will probably have to be pts.

My little smokey gray kitty, Dave, died yesterday. RIP my boy. Snuggle up to your namesake (my Dad) and give him snuggles and purrs from me.

kimlovescats
07-04-2003, 03:02 PM
I'm so sorry you are having to see so much death .... but what you are doing is so commendable! Even those who have to be pts are being shown love from you, and that is wonderful!

(((((HUGS))))) :)