PDA

View Full Version : Eosinophilic granulomatous complex...?

kittens
06-26-2003, 08:32 AM
such a long name! just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this?

K & L
06-26-2003, 09:09 AM
Never had. What is it?

Denyce
06-26-2003, 11:06 AM
Yes my Brianna has this. They are also called Rodent Ulcers. They are an inflammation usually around the lip area. The lip gets swollen and nasty looking...if left untreated they can become ulcerated and raw. They are not serious in that they won't kill the cat but you do want to treat for them. Research has also found that the same inflammations occur in the esophagus and intestinal system. Very similar to Irritable Bowel Syndrome. This causes frequent vomiting and diarrhea. They need to be treated with an anti-inflammatory steroid when there is a flare up. For Brianna this is about every 6 to 12 weeks or so. I am now giving her 5 mg of oral Pred for about a week when she has a flare up. The episodes seem to be brought on by stress also. My first cat Smokey would get a couple but there would be long periods, even years between them. Brianna gets them on a pretty regular basis.

Here is a link with some information also.

http://www.vetinfo.com/ceosinophilic.html

Denyce

kittens
06-26-2003, 01:09 PM
Denyce
thanks for the link, I will look at it now, but my cat Emma has this on her paw only, I give her 5mg of prednozone every other day, it used to be 10. she seems to do ok with that, so far, knock on wood. when it first started, then yes she also had to have a shot.

Denyce
06-26-2003, 01:22 PM
I used to give Brianna a shot of Depomedral but she tends to react quite a bit to shots. She retains a lump for some time. That is why I changed to the oral Preds.

kittens
06-26-2003, 05:31 PM
do you give her the shots yourself? or take her to the vet?
does she have to have occasional blood tests?