PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to give this a try...

ScantyNebula
06-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Hey guys .. I literally dragged my sick self out of the bed to give you guys pics. Sorry I can't do video - I got LOTS of video - I just don't feel well enough to do it.

Alyson, I LOVE Lily .. she is the sweetest little thing .. Oh my when I saw her at your Dads hotel I couldn't believe how gorgeous she was, and how affectionate, as well as active! Rosemary and her friend Sue are really nice - she has to get Sue to come online more often ;)

I was feeling good up until the point that we arrived back to the house with Lily. It just hit me - intense fever .. its so awful. But I held it back and took lots of video, not so many pics but I'll post them all. After finally realizing I was to sick to stay awake .. I went to bed - and Lily came in and slept with me the whole time! Eventually she ended up sleeping right by my face -- how sweet!!She's being a little strange around Toby tho - Toby obviously wants to be friends, he is always trying to go around her and play with her, and Lily Hisses and growls everytime. I'm sure with time she will get over it. I did expect a little hostility.

Ok now for the pics. Sorry, no captions :(

http://www.nebulaart.com/toby/l1.jpg
http://www.nebulaart.com/toby/l2.jpg
http://www.nebulaart.com/toby/l3.jpg
http://www.nebulaart.com/toby/l4.jpg
http://www.nebulaart.com/toby/l5.jpg
http://www.nebulaart.com/toby/l6.jpg
http://www.nebulaart.com/toby/l7.jpg

Alyson, thanks so much for all the stuff you sent me!! Wow .. you didn't have to do all that! I love it all :) Thanks for everything!

Your sister and dad are really nice people, very friendly :) I had a good time today well up until now lol .. I have to get back to bed soon .. I doubt I'll even get into work tomorrow again =/

Johanna

ScantyNebula
06-25-2003, 08:01 PM
btw that is Alyson's sister .. she's really nice! :D

another thing .. toby panted a few times with his mouth open while trying to approach Lily and being hissed away .. is this okay? Poor thing he's not himself. :( I think he is jealous because Lily does cuddle with us a lot .. and he really wants to be friends and Lily isn't cooperating .. he looks upset kinda.. :( I try to pet him but he just walks away most times, he's definetely not himself :(

aly
06-25-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by ScantyNebula
and Lily came in and slept with me the whole time! Eventually she ended up sleeping right by my face -- how sweet!!
Johanna

Oh my gosh , I'm so happy she's being good for you. The tears are flowing again.

Thanks so much for the pictures! These will hold us over until tomorrow when you're hopefully feeling better.

I don't know why Lily is pulling that with Toby :( I am pretty sure she'll get over it soon. I hope she's not making him feel too bad.

jenluckenbach
06-25-2003, 08:04 PM
http://www.nebulaart.com/toby/l5.jpg
Hey buster, a little privacy please!

http://www.nebulaart.com/toby/l6.jpg
OOOOOO What's this?!?! Looking good sister!

Toby, is this the spot Meowmie needs me to stay?

aly
06-25-2003, 08:04 PM
Johanna, maybe you could stick Lily in a bathroom or somewhere for a little while so Toby can feel better.

I expect her to get over herself within a couple days. You could rub Toby with a towel and put that towel under her food bowl so she gets used to his scent.

She and Shiloh had a rocky start but a couple days later they were perfectly fine.

NoahsMommy
06-25-2003, 08:07 PM
Wonderful pictures. Thank you so much for getting out of bed sick for us, what a sweetie. :)

I think that panting thing means stress? That's what I read a while back when Noah would do it on the way home from the vet. He's probably just not understanding what's going on, but he will.

Feel better soon! Kiss Toby and Lily for me. :)

ScantyNebula
06-25-2003, 08:07 PM
I don't think separating them would work well .. we tried and Toby was meowing and meowing to get in with her .. he even pounced at the door! He really likes being around her ..

aly
06-25-2003, 08:12 PM
I don't think separating them would work well .. we tried and Toby was meowing and meowing to get in with her .. he even pounced at the door! He really likes being around her ..

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW :(

Lily - Don't make me fly to Canada and give you a talking to! You be NICE to your brother so you don't stress mommy out!

ScantyNebula
06-25-2003, 08:14 PM
yes Lily, keep doing it!! That way your foster mommy will come visit Newfoundland ;) ;)

ScantyNebula
06-25-2003, 08:16 PM
well guys I'm off to get some more rest - I'll see you all tomorrow

aly
06-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Goodnight Johanna... FEEL BETTER!!!

I think if you can find a toy that Lily really likes tomorrow, you can try to make her play with it at the same time as Toby. That might make her warm up faster.

Toby honey, I'm sorry she's being a pill to you. I hope you're back to yourself soon so you don't worry mommy.

Uabassoon
06-25-2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks for taking the time to get out of bed to show us those pictures. Lily is so cute! Congrats on your new family member, I can't wait to see even more pictures. I hope you feel better soon.

captain
06-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Now Lily, play nice!!!!! Toby is such a honeypot!!

Thanks for dragging your sick self out of bed to share this with us .... get well soon.

LoudLou
06-25-2003, 09:15 PM
Wow Lily you sure are BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL little girl!!

You look an awful lot like my Mocha Bean!

Foam
06-25-2003, 09:17 PM
GREAT pictures! I'm so happy to see that Lily arrived safley. :)
You two look like you were meant for eachother!
Get well soon =D
Toby looks 'so thrilled' to have Lily around. ;)

aly
06-25-2003, 09:20 PM
I'm sooo tired from last night and I think I caught Johanna's sore throat :eek:

I can't go to sleep though because I keep worrying about Toby. I know they'll be fine in a few days, but I still feel bad.

I'm glad at least Lily's sleeping on her mommy... warming her up to get her better soon :)

Prairie Purrs
06-25-2003, 09:29 PM
I think the first-meeting hisses are more normal than not. I bet they'll be playing together in no time. :)

krazyaboutkatz
06-25-2003, 10:13 PM
I'm so glad that Lily has arrived safely and that Toby likes her. :) I'm sure that in a few days they'll be best friends. Thanks for the great pics Johanna. :D Please take care of yourself and get better soon.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Johanna, you're so sweet for dragging yourself out of bed to update us...with pics and all! I'm sure you knew we were all waiting with baited breath. Now you can get some good rest, because we've been updated.....but can't wait for more pics and the videos too! :D

I sure hope you feel better soon, although you do have a beautiful new little nurse to help you along with that. And not that it's good to miss work, but how wonderful that you will be able to spend time with Lily on her first full day in her new home. :D

And Aly, you need to get some sleep too! I'm sure Lily will get over it real quick and her and Toby will be best friends. They are both young enough that I bet by the time Johanna wakes up and can give us another update, things will have changed dramatically in the Lily and Toby relationship.

They are both such cuties! :D

kimlovescats
06-25-2003, 10:29 PM
I think the stress factor has affected every one ... even both mommies!!! ;) The trip went well, and everyone will adjust in just a couple of days!!! NOW.... get some rest you two mommies!!!!
Once the newness of this big change wears off, everything will be just wonderful!!!!!!! :D

taopjlcpg
06-25-2003, 10:56 PM
hey girl...things sound great and "normal" for into of new kitties to one another....(The "Crazy Cat Lady";) knows....lol:D )
i saw those cool toys and though that if u didn't already have this i HIGHLY SUGGEST it ....we have 2:)
the kids luv them...check this website out
http://www.lovethatcat.com/cat-toys-mouse.html
it is like the mouse in the pic BUT it hangs on the door...
it's get 4 exercise and mine play with it all hours of the day:rolleyes: :p :D
it is my #1 super dooper cat toy find, if u don't already have it
after many,many,many.... different cats coming into my home
all different ages and situations...the most important thing i found
was to always recognize my first kitty tabitha first every time i came into the door
it was kind if a respect thing letting her know i wasn't replacing her, nor could i ever....she responded very well....
of course i'd go to the newcomer right after;)
get well soon.....(and u 2 lil' ones behave while your mommy recovers;) )

iceyshiver21
06-25-2003, 11:05 PM
Im so sorry I had to be the one to tell you :eek: You got the wrong kitty!! I think you accidently got my blueberry instead!! She has been talking about running off to see some of the pettalkers cats, oh my how horrible!! hmm...you naughty bluey!!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p8f22cc06b8cd56862df9985d1f198b2e/fbd601f1.jpg
Heres the culprit..

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-26-2003, 01:03 AM
AWWWWWWWW

Toby looks so sweet in this picture!!!

He looks like he is going to be the best big brother ever! I am sure Lily will warm up to him soon... :D

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Barbara
06-26-2003, 03:29 AM
When I heard about the arrival time yesterday I thought about staying up -but I'm glad I was a reasonable purrson:D else I could have skipped the bed completely.
But now it's so cute seeing Toby and Lily together:D

Toby you must know that your little sis had very busy days: in a carrier -in a plane-in a hotel room and now in your home -so just give her some time and she'll see what a friendly guy you are:) :D

Lilygirl: catgratulations that you made it. Now one or the other big sleep with your sick mom will give you the confidence to make friends with your big brother:)

HayleyRosie
06-26-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by aly
AWWWWWWWWWWWWW :(

Lily - Don't make me fly to Canada and give you a talking to! You be NICE to your brother so you don't stress mommy out!

I think this is a great idea. Lily should keep doing it!

Aly,

Your dad said he would like for you to come visit him here. We would be able to have a little pet talk meeting and you would be able to see little Lily again.

IttyBittyKitty
06-26-2003, 06:07 AM
Thanks for taking those cute pics!! What a beautiful girl Lily is ... she looks a little bit like my Pixel, and I think she's got a bit of meezer in there (she looks like a lynx point from the photos)

sasvermont
06-26-2003, 07:37 AM
It sounds to me that things are working just fine. Your problems would be much worse if Toby wasn't being so good. I think if you feed them at the same time (maybe a little tuna) on the same plate....and play with them both at the same time, they will get used to bumping into each other.

Here I sit giving someone else advice when I have two cats that cannot even be in the same side of the house together!

That's another story!

I think you will have no problems beyond a little hissing.

By the way, cats have a sense of smell when they open their mouths....... and they do that often when there is something new around the house.....

:cool: :cool: :D :D :cool: :cool:

catlover4ever
06-26-2003, 08:37 AM
Thank you so much for sharing those pictures of Lily and Toby while you were not feeling well. I had been looking forward to seeing those pictures. As a newer person to PT I have been trying to follow a few things like Lily and Toby.

Congratulations on your new arrival.

Hope you feel better soon.

aly
06-26-2003, 08:53 AM
Hehe, I wouldn't feed them tuna at the same time yet. Lily is slightly food possessive with treats :eek: :o She shared her kitten food with Skylar, but not treats. I already told Johanna about that though.

IBK - Yup, she's a lynx point Siamese mix :D She's soooo pretty :)

I woke up so many times last night with a purring kitten on my neck and I kept thinking it was Lily. But of course it was skylar :o :o

K & L
06-26-2003, 09:03 AM
What a neat story and wonderful pictures!

ScantyNebula
06-26-2003, 09:15 AM
Oh boy .. there they go again .. running around the house chasing each other like mad cats..

So I woke up this morning and the worst thing that could've happened did - I got the stomach flu! UgHHHH I'm feeling a little better now so I figured I'd give an update.

I barred Lily in the room with me last night - she slept on the bed with me all night :) I kept Toby outside to have the rest of the house to himself (and to relax) and he came to the door meowing a bit, but he made it thru the night. This morning I heard Toby pounce on Lily, she bawled, so I started clapping my hands to break them up .. after that Lily has been scared of Toby. Toby hisses at her now!! Its the first time I ever heard him hiss! So the tables have turned .. Toby even growled at ME last night when I tried to pet him while he was sniffing one of Lily's toys.

He WON'T leave her alone. She's going around playing with ALL her toys, and Toby creeps up on her and smells her! Thats all he wants to do is smell her. They're getting closer .. they don't hiss at first sight like they used to. I put out some wet food in separate bowls and they ate together - pretty closely. Toby finished and went to sniff Lily and she let out a big growl and hiss. hehe she is very protective over her food.

Ohh what a cutie - she's using her scratching post. :)

Johanna

aly
06-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Aw Johanna, I'm so sorry you're so sick :( Thanks for giving us another update on everything. I wish you could enjoy this time without being sick.

It sounds like Lily and Toby are sort of going through the same stages that Shiloh and Lily went through. I keep hoping and praying they get over it soon. I know they will.

Shiloh hisses at me too if I smell like a new foster cat that she knows is in the house. She eventually always gets over it though.

ScantyNebula
06-26-2003, 09:45 AM
http://www.nebulaart.com/toby/l8.jpg

http://www.nebulaart.com/toby/l9.jpg

http://www.nebulaart.com/toby/l10.jpg

:)

Is it normal for Toby to be panting often? Cause he does it a lot.

aly
06-26-2003, 10:05 AM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! Great pics :D :D :D

Is he panting or is he doing that open mouth thing? That thing where they hold their mouth open for awhile is what they do when there are new smells usually. Shiloh does it in the car because she doesn't get in the car much. Lily also did it when she smelled my jeans after I had been at the shelter all day.

I'm sure its pretty normal. He's probably getting used to her smells.

HayleyRosie
06-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Johanna,

sorry to hear you are sick. I hope you feel better soon. The pictures of Toby and Lily are great. I hope that you can post more when you are feeling better.

ScantyNebula
06-26-2003, 10:24 AM
No, he's panting just like a dog. He's doing it really often ...

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-26-2003, 10:38 AM
http://www.nebulaart.com/toby/l10.jpg

This pic is soooo cute! It's like even though she's looking at you, she can't stop playing (as evidenced by the blurry paw). :D

Sorry I can't help with the panting thing. I would think it's just the new smells, but I know when I took Eddie to the vet he was panting and the vet said cats will usually do that when under stress, but it just seems odd that having a new kitten around would be that much stress for Toby. :confused:

ScantyNebula
06-26-2003, 10:42 AM
I'm thinking his panting (and fast breathing) may be a combination
of both stress and he's running around a lot, chasing after her.

If it keeps up I have to bring him to the vet ..

aguu
06-26-2003, 01:35 PM
Oh those pictures are so cute!!
Sorry to hear that you've been so sick, what timing but hey at least you go to stay home with the newbie!
I think Toby may be jealous and that is why he may now be growling at you too. I always heard to give your kitty lots of extra attention and lovies what you bring a new one into the house. And to never get mad if he hisses at the newbie...
Maybe he feels betrayed seeing Lily in bed with you and being looked out? (Of course I am not saying that you HAVE betrayed him!!!)
Just give him extra lovies and attention and he should feel reassured. Kitties are emotional creatures!

aly
06-26-2003, 02:55 PM
I'm sure Toby's okay, but maybe you can just call the vet and ask their opinion?

Just making sure.. you got that envelope I sent right? And the other envelope with her rabies tag?

Sorry I sent along so many copies of her vet records. I wasn't sure if any of the airline people would keep a copy so I sent my sister with plenty.

ramanth
06-26-2003, 03:05 PM
YAY!! I'm so happy to hear that Lily made it safely to you. :)

Love the pics of her and Toby. :D

Killearn Kitties
06-26-2003, 03:12 PM
I'm glad little Lily got to you safely and the pictures are absolutely gorgeous. Toby needs lots of extra attention just now to reassure him. That shouldn't be too hard, he a lovely cat. ;)
Hope you get well soon.

slick
06-26-2003, 03:18 PM
What great pictures and I'm sorry you have not been feeling well. Lily is absolutely beautiful and I'm sure in time Toby will be looking after her like a big brother should. Please take care of yourself.

ScantyNebula
06-26-2003, 03:40 PM
Thanks everyone ...

Things have improved a little .. Toby is relaxing now, and they're just minding their own business, and they're not hissing as much at each other.

RedHedd
06-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Welcome to new kitty-hood! Panting is probably stress related. Mishi does the open-mouth thing, silly goony face, sometimes with Mitzi. They still sniff each other a lot and are still getting used to each other's scents even after six weeks. Just let them keep sniffing.

aly
06-26-2003, 09:49 PM
If you have any paper bags and can make Toby get in one, that might make Lily come play with him :) Thats how she and Shiloh first started playing.

Barbara
06-27-2003, 07:44 AM
Cats usually won't meet and just be friends. To me all this sounds pretty normal. They are already eating side by side -and look sooooo cute together -this is already a large progress.

The open mouth thing is a kind of smelling: cat's have something called Jacobson's organ and they use that when they meet interesting smells like pee of an unknown cat etc.

No idea about the panting.

Just let them have time. they're on their way:) :D

taopjlcpg
06-27-2003, 03:53 PM
http://www.lovethatcat.com/cat-toys-mouse.html
this toy really helped my babies.
it gave them something else to focus on rather than each other.
a common interest;)
even though u just have 2, i promise it's important to get toby the first attention, cats r pretty funny about "the baby" getting all the attention.....i even take one at a time occasionally to sleep alone w/ me at night
depending on if anyone in particular seems stressed
it was good with lily, but toby will need it to...kind of like a jealous sibling thing
let them do their socializing as they are....sometimes nature has to take its course...they will adjust;) ;) ;) luv the pixs:D

ScantyNebula
06-27-2003, 05:11 PM
Alyson sent me that toy .. its so cute! Toby hasn't played at all since Lily showed up. He just sits and wathces her play as if to say "you mean to tell me you fall for that stuff?" hehe Lily's fav toys are mice or balls filled with beads or something .. she hasn't been too interested in the microchip mouse so far. She is a VERY VERY playful kitten - Toby was never like that. At the sound of a toy she comes running and can stay playing with one toy for so long

aly
06-29-2003, 03:31 PM
Hi Johanna -

I've been trying not to bug you so you could take a few days to get better from your flu and get Lily settled in. How are things going now? I hope Lily and Toby's relationship is progressing smoothly.

I tried to pm you the other day but your box is full.

ScantyNebula
06-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Hi, I"m feeling back to myself now .. I don't have time to update you tonight because I am in the middle of working ... I will update you tomorrow! My pm box is not full now I think.

ChrisH
06-30-2003, 05:28 AM
Scanty, I just catching up with the Lily & Toby tale and pictures and was sorry to read you were sick and so pleased that you are now feeling better!:)
Lovely pictures of Toby & Lily, they are both so beautiful. The only things I know about cats are what I have learned here on PT so I haven`t any advice, anyway, seems they are getting on somewhat now and you don`t need it!:D
Please keep posting pictures and keeping us updated on the Toby & Lily antics when you can. Kisses and scritches to them both.:)

Chris