PDA

View Full Version : The responsibility of having pets

popcornbird
06-25-2003, 01:10 AM
Thankfully, the majority of us pet lovers here on this board are very responsible about our pets and do our best to provide them with the best lives we can give them. Unfortunately, it seems that there may be certain members on this board, who love animals just the same, however, they may not be following the responsible *rules* of having pets. I felt it my responsibility to try my best to explain what enormous responsibility comes with every pet addition to any household. You are all welcome to add tips in your replies.

Now, what does responsibility mean? What does it mean to be responsible?

The definition of R-E-S-P-O-N-S-I-B-L-E is:

Able to be trusted or depended upon; reliable.
Able to make moral or rational decisions on one's own and therefore answerable for one's behavior.

From this definition, it can be noted that being responsible is something that, if not done properly, can be a reason to take one's actions into account. Responsiblity is thus, a big thing, and not something to take lightly.

When one has a pet, no matter what the animal, the pet is dependant on its owner, and the owners must be fully responsible for it. Below, we will discuss some issues of responsibility that comes with the addition of any pet in the family.

Points to discuss and verify before adding a pet to the family

Financial Situation

One of the first things to take note of before bringing a pet into the household is considering your family income and financial situation. Adding a pet to the family is adding monthly and yearly expense. Before going on the the next point, one must ask him/herself the following questions:

Do I have enough money to buy food, toys, and basic neccessities for my pet?

Do I have enough money to ensure medical care for my pet?

If, God forbid, there's an emergency, am I capable of providing my pet with the vet bills, etc. needed at that very moment?

Am I stable enough financially, and otherwise, to ensure I will hopefully have enough to care for a pet for years to come?

If the answer to any of these questions is *No*, stop right there and decide on getting a pet when the situation is right. If the answer to all these questions is yes, go on the the next point.

Family discussion

Having a pet is something that should be decided amongst the whole family. If one member of the family just goes and gets a pet, and the others have problems, (disagreements, allergies, medical situations, not willing or unable to take care of their part of the responsiblity *if you are a kid or teen and get a pet, a lot of the responsibility is on your parents*, etc. If every family member does not condone with the idea of adding a pet to the family, do NOT get one. It will only cause problems and can end up with problems in the life of the innocent animal. Again, if not everyone in the family agrees, stop right here and don't go on to the next point. If everyone agrees, move on with the questions.

Children in the family

Another thing to think about before you get a pet is if you have have young children. Questions to ask yourself on this issue include:

Are the children of the family well educated on how to behave with a pet?

Is any child too young to understand how to react to an animal?

Is there any child that can cause potential harm to the pet?

If all is clear, move on. If not, work on the problems and solve them before adding a pet to the family.

Previous Pets

If you already have pets in the household, you may need to ponder on certain issues before adding another pet to the household. Things to ask yourself include:

Do I have any larger pet that can possibly cause harm to the pet I am adding?

Is it possible for the pet I am bringing to cause fear in the hearts of my previous pets?

Can any one of my previous pets be a potential predator to the animal I am bring home *or vice versal*?

Do I have a secure house in which there is no possibility for my smaller pets to get loose, and God forbid, killed or hurt by my larger pets?

Am I bringing my pet into harms way by adding a pet?

Am I bringing my future pet into harms way by bringing it into a home with other pets who have a large prey drive?

If all is clear, go on. If not, do NOT add a pet to your family until the situation is different and safe.

Time/Devotion

When bringing a pet into the family, know that the pet is a living thing and needs friends and company to keep from getting bored. Ask yourself the following questions:

Do I have enough time for another pet?

Will I give the pet enough attention?

Will I be able to fulfill its needs?

Will the pet be happy in my household?

Environment

When adding a pet to the household, one must be certain to have the proper environment to house the pet in. If you have allergies, you should have an area to keep your pets, where they won't cause so many problems to your health that you'd end up getting rid of them. You must also ensure that they feel safe in their environment, and that there are no hazards threatening them.

Conclusion

In this post, I have discussed the issues of the responsibility that comes with the addition of any new pet to the family. If you are unsure of any issues discussed here, postpose your adoption of an animal to when the situation is right. If all is clear and you are positive you can be responsible on ALL of these issues, go for it.

I spent a LOT of time writing this, and I hope and pray that it benefits us all, and the certain members learn from it and apply it in their animal loving lives. We are human beings and make mistakes, however, once a mistake has been made, it should NOT be repeated. With every mistake, there are lessons to be learned and responsibilities to be added. Everyone, please feel free to add your comments and add any issues of responsibilty I may have missed.

I would also like to add that, no matter how much you love animals, having too many can cause disruption and horrors in the lives of the pets, and if you are not responsible enough to take care of each and every one of their lives, perhaps you should think about it and not add anymore pets to the household.

Everyone including myself, lets go back to all the points listed, and see if WE can be considered responsible pet mommies. If we're not, there's a problem that needs to be corrected.

If you go over the questions and see faults within yourself, don't be surprised if others criticize, because that's all they might know. Please, no one take this personally. It is for all of us to take note of and a good thing to review every now and then when we love having pets so much.

The only reason I'm writing this is because I care for everyone's pets and animals, and I hope and pray that all of us, including myself, go over this, see our faults and try to fix them, and see what we're doing right and contnue to do so. You all love your animals and you all care, so do the best you can for them for as long as they live in your lives, and in your care.

:p;););):p

wolf_Q
06-25-2003, 01:29 AM
That looks like a very well thought out post PCB. You make some excellent points! Having a pet, no matter what kind, nor how big or small.....is a BIG responsibility. You are responsible for a living creature. I hope certain people on here read it and actually learn from it.

Fox-Gal
06-25-2003, 01:34 AM
I don't think anyone could have said it any better then you did. :cool:

What I always tell people to make it simple is

"Pet are like your children, love them, care for them as if they where your children. The responsible of a pet should be taken just as serious as the responsible of your child" "A life depends on it"

And what really makes me mad is when pet owners tell me " well he/she was uncontrollable or wouldn't listen so we got rid of him/her" I don't get rid of my children if they misbehave, I work on changing the problem, my pets the same. I don't dump them off.

If you can't take the good with the bad you don't need pets.

CathyBogart
06-25-2003, 01:35 AM
VERY well written PCB!

May I print it out for customers at work/other people I think could benefit?

I can tell that you put a lot of time into this, and it is excellent! I only wish half the customers at work took these things into account.

popcornbird
06-25-2003, 02:01 AM
Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by WolfChan
VERY well written PCB!

May I print it out for customers at work/other people I think could benefit?

I can tell that you put a lot of time into this, and it is excellent! I only wish half the customers at work took these things into account.

Sure, but you may want to change some parts because I was directing it to the members on the board. :)

Some things I missed and would like to add:

Reasons to get a pet

Good and bad reasons to get a pet are as follows:

OMG! Its SO cute! I want it!!!! *Bad reason* You don't get a pet just because its cute. You must be able to ensure that you will be responsible enough to care for it for many years ahead.

What a sweet animal! I would love to have this sweetie, but I'll have to weigh out my situation and see if its possible to ensure I will be able to provide this animal with the best love and care possible. (Good reason)

My other pet is alone and needs company. I cannot provide him/her with enough attention. I need another pet. (Good reason if being though about the same specie, but be sure to have an extra cage/room in case they don't get alone).

Poor animal is in horrible conditions, or needs love. :( I must rescue it. (Good reason as long as you are sure you will be able to provide proper care and attention).

etc. etc.

Breeding

If you are not a well qualified breeder, have never experienced breeding, aren't sure of your pet's condition, or aren't going to provide the pets bred with their forever home, do NOT allow your pets to breed. Pets should be *pets* and if you are not experienced, breeding can be risky. Not only can you put your pets in risk, but you can also put the babies in risk if you don't know what you're doing. Irresponsible breeding is ALWAYS a no no, and a HUGE responsibility. If you cannot handle that, which most pet owners cannot, do NOT ever allow your pets to breed.

Everyone, please add to the list if there's anything missing. :)

tikeyas_mom
06-25-2003, 02:48 AM
this is a good post. I know I am a responsible pet owner. no matter what most of you might think. :)

zanzanfergie
06-25-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
this is a good post. I know I am a responsible pet owner. no matter what most of you might think. :)

Does your level of care meet the standard posted by Popcornbird above?

binka_nugget
06-25-2003, 04:33 AM
that's one hefty reading session lol. Very well thoughtout none the less. My mom and I have been thinking about adding another dog to our household, and I think we may actually be ready for it. :D

allanimalswelcome
06-25-2003, 08:06 AM
Wow that post was so right.

I'm printing it for a certain friend of mine. Maybe it'll change her mind about getting more animals.

~Rachel

primabella
06-25-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
that's one hefty reading session lol. Very well thoughtout none the less. My mom and I have been thinking about adding another dog to our household, and I think we may actually be ready for it. :D

Really Ash? Any idea on what kind?

Very well written PCB. *clap clap clap* I hope some people read and learn from it. Just because someone loves animals, doesn't mean they are responsible enough to own one. Thanks for posting :)

Jessica12345
06-25-2003, 12:06 PM

"Do I have any larger pet that can possibly cause harm to the pet I am adding? " please TM, remeber this question. otherwise im sure you really ARE a responsible owner. ;)

*standing applause* very well dont done, PCB. ;)

RockyRoad
06-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Wow! What a good post, PCB! I too hope that people will read it and learn lots from it. :)

popcornbird
06-25-2003, 12:52 PM

This post was for all of us to see what we're doing wrong and right.

Did you see anything I have listed that you may have done? Let's all be honest to ourselves and realize what we have done wrong, and try to correct our mistakes and prevent them from happening ever again. We all want to be responsible and try our best to be that way. Its good to have a review every now and then.

CathyBogart
06-25-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
If, God forbid, there's an emergency, am I capable of providing my pet with the vet bills, etc. needed at that very moment?

Think on that TM. You always use your mother as an excuse when your animals are sick. Well, guess what? I spent several years saving up money from mowing lawns and bussing my animals to the vet because my mother didn't think rodents needed to see the vet. When my mouse lost a little bit of fur around his eyes, I spent $42 without hesitation just for the exam, despite the fact that it had taken me over a month to earn it without a job. There is ALWAYS a way to get your animals proper veterinary care, and you owe it to them.

Kfamr
06-25-2003, 02:40 PM
This is by far the best post I have seen on this board. Good job, PCB.

wolfsoul
06-25-2003, 02:57 PM
I read all that *sigh* took forever lol. Good post! :)

The only things that I can see that aren't/weren't good for me are

1. Money - Luckily, I have a vet that doesn't make me pay much. I don't have alot of money because I blasted it all paying full price at another vet. My mom doesn't have a good job either :( but luckily, my brother's dad gives us money, and welfare gives us money, and plus we still have some money left over in our medicals. My mom is trying to get a better job, and I'm going to try and get one in a little while.

2. Previous pets - When I first got Frisco, I didn't take into consideration that I have a cat lol. Sara tried to get Frisco at first, but she soon realized that she is no match for those ratty teeth! So now, she's afraid of him and Icarus lol. I'm glad that it worked out that way though, so really this was no problem, but I still should have thought about it before getting the rat.

binka_nugget
06-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by primabella
Really Ash? Any idea on what kind?

It's not a definate yes yet lol...but we've been talking about it. I've been trying to talk her into possibly adopting a mini aussie in a border collie rescue...how a mini aussie got into a bc rescue..i have no idea...but it sounds perfect for us...and I know kai would love another "toy" lol....he loved it when we watched our cousin's dog for 2 weeks.

Kfamr
06-25-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
It's not a definate yes yet lol...but we've been talking about it. I've been trying to talk her into possibly adopting a mini aussie in a border collie rescue...how a mini aussie got into a bc rescue..i have no idea...but it sounds perfect for us...and I know kai would love another "toy" lol....he loved it when we watched our cousin's dog for 2 weeks.

Watching other's animals is about the best way to show that you're able to care for another. I think from taking care of half of the neighborhood dogs that live around here and BluStang24's dog almost everyday is why i was able to actually get Nala.:)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-25-2003, 03:40 PM
You guys are making a huge deal out of this.

I care not to read it because I know it is aimed DIRECTLY at TM.

This is getting really stupid if you ask me.

Kfamr
06-25-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl

So you're saying being responsible for your animals isn't a big deal?

Do not read it if you do not care to, no one is forcing you to.

Everyone should be responsible for their animals, not just TM. I'm sure PCB had no intentions of putting down anyone in this thread, just educating them.

What's getting stupid, If you don't mind me asking.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-25-2003, 03:50 PM
So you're saying being responsible for your animals isn't a big deal?

When did I say that? I don't remember saying that at all.

And what's getting stupid, you ask?

THE WHOLE THING ABOUT TM, TIKEYA, AND JADE.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :

Kfamr
06-25-2003, 03:54 PM

You didn't say it directly, but , you said we're making a big deal about this. This thread is about responsibility for pets. Therefore, it seems like you're saying that resposibility for pets isn't a big deal.

This thread isn't about TM.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lovemyshiba
06-25-2003, 04:05 PM
This thread is about responsible pet ownership , not directed to anyone in particular, but to help educate us all.

I found it very very well written and by far one of the most extensive pieces I've read about getting pets. I think everyone should print it, and hand out copies to everyone they know--we should also give copies to our shelters and SPCA's, and pet stores, so people can have points to ponder before getting a pet.

Tikeya's mom even posted on here, showing that she did not take it as a strike towards her.

primabella
06-25-2003, 04:33 PM
Emily, did you ever PM me back? Or get my PM? I was just wondering...:o

Karen
06-25-2003, 04:42 PM

And what's getting stupid, you ask?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :

Hey, hey, hey, calm down.

No one ever said it was directed at any one person. Just because that's how YOU see it, doesn't mean that is how it was meant. Read some of the posts above ... others have admitted to thinking about -or not - some of these issues. You objected BEFORE you read the whole post. That's not fair. Please READ the initial post before you react emotionally to what you percieve is an attack on another.

popcornbird
06-25-2003, 04:51 PM
AbbyGirl, if you read the post in the first place, you would know that it WASN'T directed to TM. I didn't even mention Tikeyas mom or ANYONE for that matter, in the entire post. If it was indeed pointing at Tikeyas mom, she would never have replied and said it was a good post, or she would have replied and protested. If you didn't read it, you shouldn't be talking. Tikeyas mom liked the post herself. :rolleyes:

When the Jade incident happened, I PM'd Tikeyas mom, and told her how sorry I was about it etc. and you can even go and ask her about it. This thread was made for educating everyone, and as a reminder on how important it is to be responsible when bringing an animal into the house. :rolleyes:

KayAnn, Karen, and everyone, thanks so much! :D

ChloeLove
06-25-2003, 05:19 PM
That was a great post, PCB...It was really informative. I am gonna give this to my friend. She has 8 dogs, and can't even take care of them. :rolleyes:

tikeyas_mom
06-25-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by zanzanfergie
Does your level of care meet the standard posted by Popcornbird above?

yes, does yours?

tikeyas_mom
06-25-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Think on that TM. You always use your mother as an excuse when your animals are sick. Well, guess what? I spent several years saving up money from mowing lawns and bussing my animals to the vet because my mother didn't think rodents needed to see the vet. When my mouse lost a little bit of fur around his eyes, I spent $42 without hesitation just for the exam, despite the fact that it had taken me over a month to earn it without a job. There is ALWAYS a way to get your animals proper veterinary care, and you owe it to them.

I understand that. But I am still a good pet owner, I took my gerbil in and my dogs are all up to date with shots and cat to. all my larger pets are spayed and neutered. so its all good. The rat is now getting proper vet care and attention. And Sages ear infecting is gone, she dowent even tilt anymore, she love to run and dig like a normal gerbil. :D

tikeyas_mom
06-25-2003, 05:30 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking. It is kinda obviouse that it is directed at ME and noone eles here. I think thats kinda imbarassing. But I dont care because I dont know anyof you and will not see anyof you in my life, I could care less what you all think about my pet caring skills. :rolleyes:. its all good in my book. I will just stick to the ppl who stand up for me, because they know that you can judge someone by what they post on an internet chat thing. it is ignorant, so ya, I will stick to pming the ppl who really matter. My friends. here. ;)

aly
06-25-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
--we should also give copies to our shelters and SPCA's, and pet stores, so people can have points to ponder before getting a pet.

The shelters I work/volunteer at already give out papers with this exact same info :D

Only problem is people don't care to read it much :(

popcornbird
06-25-2003, 06:03 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking. It is kinda obviouse that it is directed at ME and noone eles here. I think thats kinda imbarassing. But I dont care because I dont know anyof you and will not see anyof you in my life, I could care less what you all think about my pet caring skills. :rolleyes:. its all good in my book. I will just stick to the ppl who stand up for me, because they know that you can judge someone by what they post on an internet chat thing. it is ignorant, so ya, I will stick to pming the ppl who really matter. My friends. here. ;)

She didn't even read it TM. :rolleyes: This thread was just a reminder for all of us. I'm so glad to hear your pets are all updated with shots and everything. Its good to know, and you are definitely a loving pet owner. We all make mistakes. I'm sure you will take extra care of all your pets and always try your best to keep the little ones safe from the big ones from now on.

Ps. How are your baby gerbils, Cheeko, Spanky, and Spring?

tikeyas_mom
06-25-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
She didn't even read it TM. :rolleyes: This thread was just a reminder for all of us. I'm so glad to hear your pets are all updated with shots and everything. Its good to know, and you are definitely a loving pet owner. We all make mistakes. I'm sure you will take extra care of all your pets and always try your best to keep the little ones safe from the big ones from now on.

Ps. How are your baby gerbils, Cheeko, Spanky, and Spring?

they are great, I can hear them having a blast outside in the sun. *they are in the shade of corse lol * but they love hearing and cherping to the wild birds and the cockatiels next door. Spring is ghood to. Spanky loves to play ing his bath lol it is so funny it is like he doesnt want to get his bum wet so he'll try to keep it out of the water lol. Baby gerbils are good I named one oreo and the other vinilla, I dont know If I am still keeping them though. I am pondering over it. Sage is having a hay day in her toilet paper cardbord castle. lol it is so funny to watch her play.. And my hammies are good to I bought them new wheels yesterday, they dont squeek, they dont have runs *so the feets dont get hert* They have been running since I brought the wheels home lol.

And about her not reading the post, she might not have, but it seems kinda obviouse that it is directed at me, but oh well I am glad you posted it for future reference, and it is much more polite then the post that wolf_q posted.

zanzanfergie
06-26-2003, 05:36 AM
yes, does yours?

Yes, it does. Glad you feel that way.

Kfamr
06-26-2003, 05:45 AM
TM. :rolleyes: