PDA

View Full Version : FIRST AID KIT FOR YOUR PET?

jackiesdaisy1935
09-16-2001, 10:01 AM
I got this from another site and found that I am not prepared with a kit. I never thought of it before. Does anyone here have a first aid kit for their pet and what does it have in it? I'm going to make one up as we travel with Daisy and Perry but not sure what to put in it besides the obvious.
Jackie

3-greys-and-a-mutt
09-16-2001, 10:38 AM
We don't really have a kit made up either, but we keep the basics handy: gauze, athletic tape, hydrogen peroxide, styptic pencil, baby aspirin...
Do you have a link for that site? I'd like to see what other people put in their doggie first aid kits! :D

KayAnn
09-16-2001, 11:05 AM
Well we dont have quite an first aid kit but we have more like an emergancy bag... its a bag thats by the door and it has food leashes a bottle water 2 bowl and toys and snack and such just incase like we have to go real quick of we have to evacuate we grab that for Simba.

kobieeli
09-16-2001, 11:30 AM
We travel and camp with the dawgs quite often, and although we have a "fun bag" for them (leashes, goodies, frisbees, etc.) we're also in the process of assembling a first aid kit. If you buy it from pet supply stores it'll probably be way overpriced, so here's a link to the guide we're using to figure out what items should go in it:
www.golden-retriever.com/firstaid.html (http://www.golden-retriever.com/firstaid.html)

And here's a good emergency health guide for dogs that's short and useful:
www.learnfree-pets.com/pet-care-health/canine-first-aid/default.htm (http://www.learnfree-pets.com/pet-care-health/canine-first-aid/default.htm)

[ September 16, 2001: Message edited by: kobieeli ]

jackiesdaisy1935
09-16-2001, 11:55 AM
Thanks Kobieeli, that's a great site and I am going to assemble a kit for our dogs for home and traveling. It just never occured to me before, but it is so very important, especially here in California with earthquakes and such every now and then.
Jackie

kobieeli
09-16-2001, 12:05 PM
Oh my gosh, Jackie, you've reminded me that we don't have an earthquake kit for ourselves yet! :eek: We need to get that kind of thing together soon...but of course the kit for the dogs comes first! ;)

Dixieland Dancer
09-17-2001, 08:45 AM
Here is a page that I include in our puppy packages to new families of our pups. It may help you to assemble your first aid kits.

Since you never know when an accident will happen, keeping a pet emergency kit at your home or in your car is a good idea. It need only contain a few simple things. You can put it together yourself and buy the items separately, or buy one ready-made. If you make one up yourself, the following items comprise a complete list:

· Your veterinarian's number (both regular and emergency) and your local or national poison control phone number (1-800-548-2423 is the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center).
· Appropriate-sized muzzle because animals in pain may lash out - even at their owner.
· Bandage materials: sterile gauze, non-stick bandages, adhesive bandage tape.
· Isopropyl rubbing alcohol.
· Hydrogen peroxide for cleaning wounds and in case you need to make your pet vomit.
· Activated charcoal to absorb ingested poisons (make sure to consult a veterinarian before using).
· Appropriate-sized stretcher. A blanket or sheet works well for larger dogs.
· Nylon slip leash - easy to get on and off.
· Clean towel or rag.
· A blanket to warm an animal in shock. Some pharmacies carry a lightweight thermal blanket.
· Hemostat or tweezers.
· Oral syringe or eye dropper to dispense oral medications.
· Sterile saline solution or eye wash and sterile eye lubricant for eye injuries.
· Styptic powder or pads (like CutStop).
· Rectal thermometer.
· Pet Pectate, or similar product used to treat minor diarrhea.
· 325 mg tablets of canine or buffered aspirin (for dogs only).
· 25 mg capsules of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) for allergic reactions to insect bites. Again, consult your veterinarian before using.
· Stop Itch or a similar product for insect bites.
· Triple antibiotic ointment for minor cuts and scrapes.
· Cold pack for swelling.
· Scissors or a knife.

And since you aren't using this kit all the time and some items have expiration dates, watch these carefully and replace when needed. Remember that even the best first aid kit isn't any good if you don't know how to use it so make sure to brush up on your first aid basics and consult a vet if you have any questions on treatments or doses.