PDA

View Full Version : Eeeew! She ate it!

ChrisH
06-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Ebbs rarely goes in the bathroom so when I saw her go in there, and that she was jumping about, I followed with my camera
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p3dd6ad4022e6de126e185d42ab86fe31/fbd90f35.jpg

It was a moth that she was after (see attachment) and as it was on the wall I went looking for my bug jar - I hate killing things, I`d rather catch them if I can - I looked and looked but couldn`t find it so I came back upstairs. There was Ebby chewing on something... and the moth had disappeared! YUK!

Chris

AmberLee
06-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Hmmm, do you think she's trying to tell you she needs more protein in her diet?

NoahsMommy
06-24-2003, 01:23 PM
hee hee :D

GOOD EBBY!!!

The reason I agreed to get a cat (I was like Edwina's Secretary, didn't know the utter joy of cats, or cared to :eek: :eek: ) was for bug protection. :D I love that I haven't seen a spider or bug in my apartment for two years!!! YIPPEEE!!!! :D :D :D

Prairie Purrs
06-24-2003, 01:28 PM
My cats think of moths as flying cat treats. During moth season I have to take extra care to secure the breakables. :)

slick
06-24-2003, 01:33 PM
My cats aren't so much amused by moths but they love those big Daddy-long-legs that come flying around. I try to catch them ASAP and put them outside, otherwise, Max plays with them and bats them around and sometimes a leg goes missing. Makes me very sad for the bug.

Lerah021399
06-24-2003, 01:45 PM
Our house rarely has bugs because of the kitties. In fact, our house doesn't have any pests...all of our neighbors had mice and we never saw one. This was either because the cats had gotten them or the mice didn't dare to enter.

06-24-2003, 01:48 PM
Our pond is very close to our livingroom. The window in front of the pond, is the favorite look-out-point of our cats Maya and Inka!
They always go nuts every time they spot a mosquito on the outside of that window; they don't realize that the poor bug is unreachable for them and jump like crazy to get it :rolleyes: :) :) .
As you all know that water attracks mosquito's during summer, we have lots of fun watching our cuties hunting for bugs, ha ha ha!!:p :p :p

See how close-by the pond is!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pond1.jpg

ScantyNebula
06-24-2003, 01:59 PM
here in St.John's there are a lot of earwigs going around during the summer .. I don't know if any of you haven't seen one, but they are GROSS! UGH, I moved out of one place because they used to be in the shower curtain and everything!! Anyway, I caught Toby in the kitchen one day batting one around the floor. .. he wouldn't eat it, he was just doing the weird meow thing, and patting it around. Of course I killed the ugly thing. I hate bugs so much.

iceyshiver21
06-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Haha
cute Kitties

**Lut I love your pond its SO big!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-24-2003, 02:03 PM
When Tubby was a lot younger, we lived in an older house in Green Bay, WI. I would often see him in the exact same pose as Ebby is - staring up at the wall. There were lots of spiders and he just loved stalking them and killing them when they finally came within range. Sometimes I wondered how he didn't get a sore neck 'cause he'd sit there for hours on end, staring up at the walls and ceilings. I often had paw prints all over the walls too, from when he'd try to jump up and get them. Got to the point where all I had to do was say "Kitty, bugs!" with excitement in my voice and he'd come running from where ever he was. He didn't understand my pointing (didn't know to look at what I was pointing at not my finger :rolleyes: ) so I'd often have to pick him up until he saw the bug move. Then he'd be entranced and nothing I did could persuade him to leave his post. :D

These days we don't have many bugs, and Tubby doesn't care as much about them either. :( :D

Barbara
06-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by CatsinDenver
My cats think of moths as flying cat treats. During moth season I have to take extra care to secure the breakables. :)

Yeah same here. Filou loves the moth hunting sessions on the balcony. And Tigris protects me from any big spider but I can't look at him when these thick black legs go into his mouth:eek: :eek:

tatsxxx11
06-24-2003, 02:18 PM
Same here!:D Mr. B and Oliver love summer...peak "moth" season!! Lots of yummy winged "friends" to chase and EAT!:eek:

ChrisH
06-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Lol :D thanks for the stories about your bug hunter kittys!:D

I don`t mind most insects/bugs I will try and catch them and put them out, moths, daddylonglegs etc, spiders I leave wander unless I am in, or getting into, bed...it is just the thought they might crawl on me! :eek:
The ones I do dislike and usually kill (though even then I don`t like doing it) are flies and bluebottles - I HATE them, earwigs - not sure why I dislike them so much, wasps - I am scared of them, nasty creatures and lastly (except for slimy sluggy things) are.....
ANTS - they seem to take over, I have been having a running battle with them every year for around 8 years now, even when I think I have everywhere covered they still appear!
I have sat down and said to them that I don`t mind if they live outside in the yard or garden, they can build a house...hell, a whole estate, raise a family, whatever, just stay out of MY house or I`ll kill ya!! Do they listen? No! So it`s out with the spay gun and the powder yet again. *Sigh* :D

bluekat
06-24-2003, 04:22 PM
Ewwwww, I hate insects and bugs. That moth in the pic looks big.
Once there was this big fly that came into our house, and Blueberry started to chase it around the house. We caught it after, I guess he would've eaten it if we hadn't. And my neighbour's cat eats LOTS of them too. Once in our garage, he found a fly, and started eating it. and he's caught wasps and other insects too and eats them.:p

Kirsten
06-24-2003, 04:47 PM
LOL, Luna is also doing that! :) It's fun for her at night when all these bugs, moths and spiders are coming in, it's the highlight of her day actually! :)

Kirsten

AmberLee
06-24-2003, 04:50 PM
Shouting, "Wow, a BUG!" really revves up the fur-babies around here, too.

I try to enjoy the fur-kid's enthusiasm and not think about the bugs much...

krazyaboutkatz
06-25-2003, 12:52 AM
Since my cats are indoor only cats, they love it when a bug gets inside. :) Storm starts his meow alert and then the others get excited as well. I always try to kill the bug before they have a chance to eat it. :)

Cheshirekatt
06-25-2003, 12:58 AM
When I was little our old tom cat, Fritzie used to eat june bugs.

Ewwwwww......crunchy!

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-25-2003, 01:52 AM
Ally also loves to chase bugs, but her favourite is Gheckos!!!

We get loads of them here. The funniest thing is when they climb accross my bathroom window (on the outside). Ally paws at them and tries to catch them! Silly girl - she is convinced that one day Mr Ghecko will make a mistake and run accross HER side of the window!;)

Her other amusement at the moment is the birds nesting in the Air Con outside my study (I'ts one of those old-fashioned "box" ones, set into the side of the house, and every summer birdie nest down in the gap between the AC and the wall). Ally sits on my bookshelf with her little nose pressed to the wall for HOURS - I think that she thinks "one day they will make a mistake and be on my side of the wall".

Reminds me of my RB Ridgeback Fiona. She used to chase birds around the garden, but was too big and clumsy to catch any! Then one day she DID catch one - it was obviously someones pet which had escaped, and didnt have much survival instinct. The FUNNIEST thing was that, after ALL these YEARS of chasing birdies, Fiona had NO IDEA what to do when she caught it - she just sat in the garden with a really DUMB expression on her face, and her eyebrows all wrinkled up in surprise!

(We got the birdie off her, and our vet sorted it out and re-homed it - for such a HUGE dog she was so gentle with it - it was hardly injured!)

IttyBittyKitty
06-25-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
hee hee :D

GOOD EBBY!!!

The reason I agreed to get a cat (I was like Edwina's Secretary, didn't know the utter joy of cats, or cared to :eek: :eek: ) was for bug protection. :D I love that I haven't seen a spider or bug in my apartment for two years!!! YIPPEEE!!!! :D :D :D

:)

And I thought we were just lucky. Should have known though, I saw Pixel eating a daddy long legs the other day!

Lorraine
06-25-2003, 07:29 AM
Good kitty Ebby for catching that mean moth!!:)
Here in Florida, it is bug paradise for cats, because the bugs are extra large, and very plentiful!!
Sammy and Romeo are inside cats too, so when a mosquito gets in, they go absolutley nuts trying to catch it! Sammy usually wins because he is bigger, and jumps higher, so he gets the snack!
Romeo looks at him as if to say, "are you gonna give me just a bite of that yummy bug?"EEEWWW!

Ear wigs down here are exceptionally gross, they are either light green or beige, my kids call them "booger bugs" because that is excatlly what they look like! :eek:
According to Sammy, I suppose these are quite tasty as well!
So far, I have been lucky not to have seen any cockroaches in my apartment. Those are the NASTIEST of all, they are huge!
I HATE those the most! They are so big, you need a shot gun to kill them!:rolleyes: I hope if one ever decides to venture in my place, the cats will get to it, before I even see it!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Lorraine
So far, I have been lucky not to have seen any cockroaches in my apartment. Those are the NASTIEST of all, they are huge!
I HATE those the most! They are so big, you need a shot gun to kill them!:rolleyes: I hope if one ever decides to venture in my place, the cats will get to it, before I even see it!

I have a friend who used to live in Florida, in the St Pete area. She was in a temporaty living situation, and there happened to be....well...not "lots" of cockroaches...but more than "some" cockroaches. She was so grateful to have 3 kitties at the time because she knew the population was kept under control. And how did she know this you ask? Well, seems the kitties would kill them, but not eat them, so she'd find the carcasses in the morning! :eek: :eek: Talk about Eeeeewwwww!!! The good news is she soon found a much better place to live. The kitties easily adapted from cockroaches to those little lizard things you guys have down there. Again they'd kill but not eat, and they always left the carcass in a very consipicuous place so she was sure to see it and know how busy they had been. ;) :rolleyes: :D

catmandu
06-25-2003, 09:50 AM
Actually the lost cats have a laissez faire deal with the various spiders and flies that live here. live and let alonre they seem to beleive all Creatures have a right to Live!