PDA

View Full Version : What age was/were your cat(s)

kath00
06-23-2003, 04:42 PM
...the day you adopted him/them ? :rolleyes:

You can select more than one option, 'cause many of you have more than one cat! :)

In your opinion , at what age is a kitten ready for adoption ?

NoahsMommy
06-23-2003, 05:00 PM
The poll only allows us to select one. :(

Noah: 7 weeks old
Noel: 3 months old
Basie: 6 weeks old
Olivia: 6.5 years old
Micah: 3.5 years old
Hermoine: 7 weeks old

shais_mom
06-24-2003, 12:47 AM
Kylie was almost exactly a year old, she's 3 now.

aly
06-24-2003, 01:08 AM
Shiloh: 7 months old
Skylar: 1 day old

Skylar started out as a foster and I found Shiloh on the street. If I was going out to adopt a cat from a shelter though, I'd definately get an adult. I love kittens to death and they are wonderful to have around, but they get homes a lot easier than the adults.

Uabassoon
06-24-2003, 02:32 AM
I voted for over 4 months. Corkscrew was around 8 months or so when I adopted him and Tibby was exactly 4 months when I got her.

06-24-2003, 02:47 AM
I could select only one..!

Inka: 5 to 6 weeks (she was found abandoned in a cornfield)
Maya: 5 months (from a shelter)
Sydney(RB) : 6 weeks

IttyBittyKitty
06-24-2003, 04:39 AM
We adopted Pixel from the local shelter ... the RSPCA thought she was 3 months old, but the vet confirmed that she was closer to 4 months old.

:)

Kfamr
06-24-2003, 04:41 AM
My brother's kitten, Orion, was 6 weeks when he adopted him.

PayItForward
06-24-2003, 06:25 AM
I could only select one..So I choose the 'over 4 months' option.

George - 8 years
Milly - 10 months
Milo - 1 year
Treacle - 1 year
Bramble - 6 weeks
Tigs - 8 weeks

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-24-2003, 10:04 AM
Tubby was 3 - 4 months old and Peanut was 9-10 months old.

I think most places use 8 weeks as the youngest a kitten can be taken away from its mother. But I know with SAS and her new Juni Rose, the breeder wanted the kittens to stay much longer - wasn't it 14 weeks or something like that?

You're getting a kitten from a breeder sometime in August aren't you? I do know that it's best for the kitten if you have patience and not take it too soon. You'll end up with a much healthier, happier kitten, so although it's hard to be patient, in the long run you and she/he will be much better off. :)

DaisyMcCat
06-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Woah, where's the options for those who adopt adult cats?

I have two cats. One I got when he was 9 yrs, and the other when she was 7 yrs. I think kittens are adorable, of course, but they are very easy to find homes for, while adult cats are not. Plus, witha dopting adults, you have the benefit of knowing what their personality is like, rather than gambling on what they will turn into.

And anyone who thinks a cat must be with you since kittenhood to bond is wrong, wrong. Mine couldn't be more loving and attached to me if I had them since their birth.

DaisyMcCat
06-24-2003, 10:22 AM
P.S., I used to work in a shelter. We would adopt out at 8 weeks, but 12 weeks is ideal. Kittens are physically and mentally healthier when they are with their mothers for that amount of time, as this is when they strengthen their immune systems and learn basic manners.

Taking it any earlier shows great irresponsibility, both on your part and that of the breeder. In fact, if the breeder let you take it any earlier, I'd be comfortable saying that it's probably a backyard breeder (or kitten mill) situation.