PDA

View Full Version : Voiceless

K & L
06-23-2003, 04:33 PM
We've yet to this day heard Olive meow or purr. It's almost as if she doesn't have a voice. At first I thought maybe she was deaf, etc. but that's not the case. Anyone else have a cat they've never heard?

NoahsMommy
06-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Awwww.....Olive, why don't you talk to your mama? I bet she'd listen real good. :)

Nope, all of ours are talkers, although, Basie never developed a real "MEOW", he squeaks. :)

2kitties
06-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Taz can't meow, but he squeaks. Short sharp squeaks.

K & L
06-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Olive doesn't even do that! It's a little puzzling to me so I think I'll ask the vet next time we're there (which is quite often):D !

catlover4ever
06-24-2003, 09:16 AM
I had Tobias who could not speak at all. He purred like crazy but had absolutely NO meow.

He compensated for this by letting you know that he was around by misbehaving a lot.

You Olive will make up for not having a voice somehow.

Cataholic
06-24-2003, 09:53 AM
My mom's cat, Nevvie, nearly never makes a sound....

06-24-2003, 02:41 PM
Our Maya has a very high voice. It sounds more like a mouse than a cat. Weird, because when she was still a kitten, she could meow loud and clear! that's how we noticed her at the cat-shelter from where we adopted her! (see web-page):)

catland
06-24-2003, 02:59 PM
There is one breed of cat, the Chartruex, that sometimes has mute kitties.

Could be that your kitty went swimming in the Chartruex end of the gene-pool.

K & L
06-24-2003, 03:39 PM
I'll have to read up on that breed! Thanks!

ChrisH
06-24-2003, 04:05 PM
When I was bringing Ebby home she meiowed in the carrier once or twice but it was ages before she made any sort of noise again. Even now she doesn`t make much noise nor meiow really, she just makes a sort of squeeky noise, except when she real excited and then it the noise is more mieow- ish, all in all she is a very quiet cat!:)

Kirsten
06-24-2003, 04:52 PM
My mother once knew a cat without a voice, she couldn't purr or meow at all. We always thought it must have been a defect in the vocal cords...

Kirsten

dragonchilde
06-24-2003, 11:51 PM
I've known of two mute kitties in my life, but neither were always that way.

The first was my mom's cat from way back before I was born. She was injured when my mom's boyfriend threw her against a chair and broke her larynx. All she could do was croak after that.

Needless to say, mom left that jerk.

The second is my old man, Tinkerbell. He's 13, and over the years, his voice just...disappeared. Now, he just moves his mouth and doesn't make a sound. Its really kinda cute.

Minette, my baby girl tux, has a sweet little kitten meow. Its just the tiniest little thing. Its like she can't meow with the same full throated yowl her part-siamese big brother Ozzie can utter.

My other kitty, Wobbles, isn't very vocal at all. She really just doesn't meow much. When she does, its a tiny little "meh" or a "murrfle".

Ozzie's the only one who really meows. And boy does he ever. CONSTANTLY. Long, drawn out meows. Especially when he's hungry. Minette mews constantly when she wants love.

IttyBittyKitty
06-25-2003, 07:06 AM
Could be that kitty is just a little shy and needs some more time to adjust...

Mum's boyfriend has a pair of Burmese who almost never Meow, but when they do, it is very low and hard to hear. They purr like jackhammers however.

Pixel has not one, but TWO meows ... most of the time it is very light and melodious, like a fairly normal DSH kitty girl. But! When she wants to, she can bring on the Meezer Meow in a big way - it's quite odd to hear two totally different sounds coming from the one kitty!

boscibo
06-25-2003, 08:27 AM
Bo never meows unless he is happy to see one of us. He gives a squeaky greeting, that's it. He purrs up a storm, though.

Hanna and Abby are both very vocal, Abby especially.

mruffruff
06-26-2003, 03:07 PM
The 15 year old that I'm cat sitting tries to meow but her voice is very tiny, just like she is. I can barely hear her. But she sure can growl and hiss!

The neighbor's cat comes to visit all the time. She has a very whispery meow. She's always been this way.

I can't remember BC (Black Cat) meowing since I got her in September. Maybe she and Olive just don't have anything to say.
;)

Mary

K & L
06-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by IttyBittyKitty
Could be that kitty is just a little shy and needs some more time to adjust...

We've had Olive for about 5 years now, but she's never made a peep.

carole
06-26-2003, 07:32 PM
My Ash is also nearly non-vocal, he purrs and only miaows when there is something very special coming his way on his dinner plate, after leaving him at the cattery when we went on holiday , he came back and was suprisingly very vocal for him, it was amazing, however he is back to his usual laid back quiet self. my lil Lexie sure makes up for it, she is a very chatty lil madam, and i love it.:)

iceyshiver21
06-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Bluey makes a noise ever time you touch her...its like half purr half meow..its so funny to hear

krazyaboutkatz
06-27-2003, 01:05 AM
I've never known a cat that didn't meow. In my house Sunny is the loudest and most talkative. It must be the Aby in him. :) Storm has a very small meow for such a large cat. If he meows when he's in his carrier people think that he's a kitten. :) Cirrus has a very high pitched chirping meow and he's also a very large cat. My new furkid Sky has more of a normal meow and likes to greet me with one. :)

L. Wayne
06-27-2003, 04:45 AM
Blue-Czarina seldom meows or purrs, in fact, I don't remember ever hearing her purr. She is a Russian Blue mix. Tiger only meows when she is trying to tell me something. But with her huge expressive eyes, I can see what she wants by simply looking at her.

.........wayne

Former User
06-27-2003, 04:51 AM
Felix purrs like crazy but no meow at all :( I hope it will still come

K & L
06-27-2003, 09:19 AM
Well I'm glad to hear Olive isn't the only one that doesn't meow or purr! We were thinking something was wrong with her, even though she seems fine. Maybe she just doesn't want to say anything!:D