PDA

View Full Version : they just dont understand birds!

Jessica12345
06-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Well My aunt and 3 couzins came over today and tiki isnt fond of new people, so she wouldnt go near them. She never goes near anybody new. :(

But after about an hour of being there I put her on my shoulder and went back to talk to them.

My couzins is like, "birds HATE me, then never come near me."
SO, I explained to her how they ussually wont go to new people right away.
She didnt get it.
Then my aunt said "I dont like birds anyway, they dont do anything.
:mad: now this of course got me upset. I told her that they are EXTREMELY playful and active, and big clowns when you know them, but they have to gain your trust.
She didnt get it.

aghh, well i didnt want to get in a fight with family so i gave up on them.

*sigh*

well i just had to vent...... :rolleyes: thanks for listening... lol. :p

iceyshiver21
06-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Ahhh!! I know what you mean....I dont own any birds but they act like that around my rat....

"why would you want a rat?" They're fun and very smart
"Rats are dirty" The're cleaner than most people I know
"ewww...look at it...." Um hey thats my pet your talking about!

I just dont know....then again its all in the eye of the beholder...

tikeyas_mom
06-22-2003, 07:04 PM
omg i know what you mean. ppl just dont understand many of my pets either. They are like "That yellow bird is mean, you should just give it away or let it loose". ummm... NO!!!! :rolleyes:

goodness some ppl just get on my nerves.

I would love to see pics of your rattie!!! :D..

Dogz
06-22-2003, 10:50 PM
I know exactly what you mean! My sister brought home a rat once, and ppl that came over were like, " Get that thing away from me! It's gross!" I was thinking, "No grosser than you!:mad: " And also my aunt got bit by a dog when she was real little, and now she says right to my face, "Keep your dogs away from me! I don't like them!" And PLUS she made her kids be scared of dogs too!:mad:

wolfsoul
06-22-2003, 11:08 PM
I know how you feel.

People drive me nuts when they go on about rats, talking as if they actually know something. This girl I know who I really hate (She doesn't know I hate her because I don't like to tell people lol) says that my rats are so ugly, and she always tells me that she hopes they die. Thet next time she says that i'm going to say that I hope she dies.

when my grandma says she hates rats, she says it in a joking way, and it's fun to stick them in her face lol. She really doesn't like them, but atleast she doesn't tell me to kill them and stuff.

iceyshiver21
06-22-2003, 11:20 PM
My aunt is deathly afraid of my rats but she dont go around saying she hates them and that they should die either she just askes me to not set them around by her. I wish more people could be like that instead.

CathyBogart
06-23-2003, 02:49 AM
I get that with my rats, but more with my reptiles. I understand if people don't like them. Fine, many people don't care for reptiles, whatever.

I don't walk up to people with little kids on the street and tell them how much I despise little kids, so why should anyone walk up to me and announce that my pet is disgusting? It p*sses me off!

popcornbird
06-23-2003, 03:51 AM
Ugh people like that make me SO mad!!! Most of my family/friends love my birds, so I don't have much of a problem with that, however, Popcorn and Muffin don't feel comfortable around new people, so they prefer to stay in their cage when we have guests over. A couple of times, some visitor's kids wanted to play with them, but whenever they took them out, Popcorn and Muffin ran back to the cage. They started fussing and saying the birds hate them and don't do anything, so I told them it was because they don't know them and are afraid of people they never saw. I told them to speak to them gently and maybe they'd decide they were nice enough to play with. Instead, those kids insisted that birds can't recognize people so it doesn't make a difference if they never saw them. :rolleyes: I called Popcorn and Muffin, and they both ran to me, climbed up my shoulder and gave me kisses in front of those kids, of course proving them wrong. :rolleyes: Birds can't recognize? LOL They know each and every person in the family and react differently to different people. The kids were so mad Popcorn and Muffin play with me but run from them, so they decided they were mean. :rolleyes: I got mad of course but they would never understand. My birds love my friends who they see often though. People who don't understand will never understand. Parrots are known to be amongst the most intelligent animals and they LOVE to play and act clownish. Some people just think they are no different than wild sparrows etc. and they assume wrong things about them, as well as other animals they don't know about. :rolleyes:

Jessica12345
06-23-2003, 06:14 AM
*sigh*

people without pets can be sooo mean! :(

cali
06-23-2003, 02:39 PM
I know what you mean. my grandparents insist on calling my gerbils rats, and acting like they are all discusting:rolleyes: and I remember something that got me angry at a petstore is a little girl wanted a rat and her dad said and i quote "yuk! you dont want a rat, those are discusting" :mad: oh, that guy really pissed me off:mad:
the rest of my family loves animals though, my cousin adores my gerbils, when she met my first gerbil sandy she loved her so much she got a gerbil of her own, and her brother got a hamster, and they havea dog named scruffy and a cat named sox. my other cousins have 2 dogs one named spud, and I dont remember the other dogs name. my other cousins have a cat I dont know its name though, and my dads parents grew up with dogs(and my dad with dogs) and my mom grew up with tones of animals so her parents love animals too, my mom had several dogs, a couple cats, lots of fish, 2 gerbils, a couple of budgies, and my mom took horse riding lessons, I take after my mom lol can ya tell?:p

CathyBogart
06-23-2003, 03:01 PM
I guessI'm pretty lucky family-wise, as my grandparents are polite about the reptiles. They don't care for them much, but they've never insulted me with things they've said. My grandmother always asks me how the "reptols" are, and even though she makes it clear that she doesn't want to touch them she'll come in to my room and comment on how much Alielle's grown since she last saw her. ^_^

The rest of my family generally loves the animals. One uncle and his family have an Iguana, a corn snake, and a bearded dragon, so they're always excited to see my babies. Several cousins have had ratties.

I have a lot of problems because I like to take my animals out places with me. The snakes come to the video store, and the lizard to Fry's electronics and out on walks with the dog, etc. It seems everyone has to tell me their opinions of my animals. I get about 1/3 positive and 2/3 negative responses.

iceyshiver21
06-23-2003, 03:16 PM
A few years back we brought two Lab/Rotty cross pups to the fair to get socailized and maybe find a home....Well my mom had a ceramic booth at the fair and the pups would sit by me....a kid next to use from the FFA booth LOVED CJ our pure black pup and really wanted him, The boy must have been about 16 or 17 and he just wouldnt set the pup down...I think he fell in love with it on the spot. We told him that if he could get his parents to agree and in a few weeks still wanted the pup to give us a call. Well when his dad came over and looked at the pup sleeping on my brothers lap he gave me a discusted look and said "No i think we'll get YOU a purebreed, instead of this mutt." My mom told me this and I lost my temper. I mean sure some people pefer purebred but he didnt have to act like that. I was SO mad. I couldnt find the guy but while walking my pups I found a fellow rotty lover and we swapped some amazing stories...which told me that there are still really great people out there.

I too am lucky family wise on my dad's side....my mom's side couldn't keep pets if there life depended on it...my mom and uncle perry are exceptions they love animals.