PDA

View Full Version : Police Shoot Dog, Cite Owner For Leash Violation

Cheshirekatt
06-22-2003, 03:42 PM
It's not just pitty owners that have to worry........

Police shoot dog, then cite owner for leash violation

The Associated Press

MILWAUKEE A woman who had just talked a friend out of suicide had her pet cocker spaniel shot to death by a police officer called to her house.

Then the officer handed Valerie Mueller a $120 citation for having her dog, Sprite, outside without a leash.

I will fight that ticket, said Mueller, 33, a special education teacher with Milwaukee Public Schools.

Since last weekends incident, Mueller has filed a complaint with the city Fire and Police Commission.

At the time of the shooting last Saturday, she and her dog were in the back yard around 2 a.m., waiting for police. When squad cars arrived, Sprite bounded toward the officers.

Seconds later, the 6-year-old, 38-pound Sprite was shot in the head.

He fell over and flinched, said Mueller, who was standing about 10 feet behind the dog when the officer fired. To see him fall over flinching and die right there, its just hard to explain.

The incident happened when police responded to the 911 call reporting a man contemplating suicide. By the time officers arrived, the man, Muellers friend, had calmed down.

I told them, The dog is harmless, don't hurt the dog, said Dave Williams, another friend of Mueller who witnessed the shooting. Three seconds later, they shot the dog.

Police Chief Arthur Jones said his department is investigating to see whether the officer was in enough danger to warrant the actions.

Mueller said the officer, Chaquila Peavy, refused to identify herself after she shot Sprite, but Jones said Mueller and her friends never asked for the officers name.

Jones said an officer can shoot a dog if the officer reasonably feels that they're in danger.

As to whether an officer could feel threatened by a cocker spaniel, Jones said, it just depends on the individual and the circumstances.

We're going to look into it, there's no question. There will be an investigation.

Jill De Grave, education director for the Wisconsin Humane Society in Milwaukee, said police officers should have to prove pet killings are justified.

She suggested that the police department provide officers with training about dogs.

Every police officer can benefit from training on handling dogs and reading behavior, De Grave said.

_

_

language=JavaScript> </SCRIPT> _

Cataholic
06-22-2003, 03:52 PM
And, to them we trust society's wellfare.

Can you get us an address to send a letter to?

Cheshirekatt
06-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Let me see what I can come up with.......

Cheshirekatt
06-22-2003, 04:16 PM
This is what I came up with:

You mail e-mail them a letter at:

[email protected]

or send it to:

Milwaukee Fire & Police Comission
809 N Broadway
Room 104
Milwaukee, WA 53202

David Heard is the name of the executive director.

tikeyas_mom
06-22-2003, 06:41 PM
omg :(. that is so sad. I cannot believe that she just shot the dog for walking up to her :(. How could anyone do that? Even if they were a stupid police officer. :mad:

moosmom
06-22-2003, 07:06 PM
A police officer feeling threatened by a cocker spaniel????? That is a bunch of horse puckies and I hope that dog's owner sues the police department.

carole
06-22-2003, 08:29 PM
oops .....another human error, i think not, i cant believe this story, that a police officer dealing on a day to day basis with crime, could feel threatened by a cocker spaniel., another needless death, shame shame shame, i really feel for the owner, here she was doing a good deed saving someone from suicide, and she ends up loosing her beloved best friend, grrrrr.....................:mad: :mad: :mad:

wolfsoul
06-22-2003, 11:30 PM
That's so terrible! :mad: god, people are stupid.

It reminds me of a story when a family was pulled over because the man in front was speeding. When he got out, the family border collie went out and started chasing the beam of the officer's flashlight. The officer shot the dog. And it died. :mad: :(

lovemyshiba
06-24-2003, 09:51 AM
that is just disgusting:mad: :mad: :mad:

Lirathal
06-29-2003, 07:09 PM
Hi,

I was reading through the dog house at this and that, I find it interesting about people's opinions and etc etc. I came across this older thread and thought I'd voice mine. The people that have posted here have all condemned the police officer for the incident after hearing a report from the news media, who got it from the owner. Regardless of what type of dog it is, police officers have the duty to protect people and lives. They can't do that with a 40lbs (just a guess) dog attacking them. If the dog came running up to the officer and she shot, that is one thing. If the dog was barking and running up, and the police officer felt threatened, I believe there is just cause. It is sad the dog died. I agree, that perhaps officers should learn to read animal "body language" more, but there are instances that no matter how well you know animals, you can't read them properly. Put yourself in the police officers position for one moment. You are entering a potential hostile area (read: potential suicider and family), and you have available to you limited information. It is 2am and dark, you have no idea if there is a weapon (gun or otherwise) available to the potential suicider and how will that person react to your presence. All of a sudden a large dog bounds toward you with no warning (I don't know if there was or wasn't). Personally I don't know what I would do, I'm not a officer and don't have the training, however one of my best friends is an RCMP officer and tells me his stories. When you worried about someone who may have a gun or other weapons, you have to engaged in creating a safe area for yourself and your partner or backup that may arrive. (is how I understand it).

Once again I am sorry that the dog died, if the police officer was found to be in error, then s/he was in error and was wrong, but it just seems to me that posters have jumped to a conclusion about someone without potentially knowing what the situation was.

My 2 cents
Regards,
Lirathal
Nathan