PDA

View Full Version : Back from Vacation

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-22-2003, 04:18 AM
Got back from vacation yesterday morning.

I had a great time, but I was so worried about Ally - she has never been in a cattery before. I phoned twice whilst I was away, and the lady at the cattery said she was doing fine.

BUT when I pickied her up last night she was skin and bones! She had lost SO much weight, and I feel so dreadful for leaving her like that.

She is also a bit sulky - I popped home to see her (I am at work today), and she is in her "hidey hole" up on top of the cupboard and won't come down! I know she will get over the sulks - she always sulks when we leave her. Last year we were away for almost a month - she was sulky when we got back, but hadn't lost any weight or anything. (I have always had a sitter for her - this was her first time in a cattery).

I am supposed to go away for three weeks in December - I have told my hubby we will have to move house before then, so we have an extra room and the sitter can come ond stay whilst we are away!

I feel like such a bad Meowmie - leaving her and coming back to find her so skinny!:(

Randi
06-22-2003, 06:38 AM
Welcome back! :)

Oh, poor Ally has missed you so. :( She probably haesn't eaten a lot while in the cattery. We boarded Fister once in the wrong place. Never again!!

We had spent a lot of time searching for a suitable place for him, and once tried a cattery slightly closer to where we live, and felt comfortable with it, since it was run by a vet. What an incompetent fool he turned out to be! We had carefully explained about Fisters rather special habits, and he seemed nice and understanding. The cats had a cage each, and a free area where they could mix if they wish. When we got back, I phoned him to arrange to fetch Fister, and explained that he would have to sedate him to get him in his box. “No problem” says the guy, he’s as mild as you can imagine, I can get him in the carrier with no problems. I could hardly believe my ears, was Fister going all soft on us? So we arrive at the vets, and he brings out the carrier and proudly shows us the contents. A small longhaired orange cat looking nothing like Fister at all! In all the time Fister had been there, I don’t think he’d seen a single hair of him. Fister had lost 1/2 kg too. :(

So then he had to be found and netted, and THEN he sedated Fister! When we arrived home, we found that Fister was scratched in the face and had a horrible cold. We were so angry, and the vet didn’t get his full fee.

IttyBittyKitty
06-22-2003, 08:21 AM
Don't feel like a bad meowmie! It is very hard to choose a cattery, this one sounded so good on the outset. It may not have been the cattery's fault that Ally lost so much weight, some times cats refuse to eat when they are distressed to be stubborn. Hopefully, next time you will be able to get a sitter as Ally will probably be less stressed staying in her home environment.

Welcome back :)