PDA

View Full Version : question

ChloeLove
06-21-2003, 03:24 PM
Ok, I was researching on rats and a few sites say NEVER to use pine bedding, then other sites say that it's okay. What is your experience?
-Amanda

tikeyas_mom
06-21-2003, 04:23 PM
NEVER use pine or cerdar bedding. I have heard a lot questions about bedding. Well all I got to say is 'Cedar' and 'Pine' are the worst kinds of bedding you could use. These kinds of beddings are extremely bad for rodents 'respiratory system'. Your rat will start to have problems breathing and if you do not consult a vet the problem will most likely get worse and your rodent will probably die. Also 'Cedar' and 'Pine' are chips of wood and it is possible that a wood chip may end up in your rodents eyes which could easily blind him or her. The most safest kinds of bedding are 'Aspen' and 'Carefresh'. 'Aspen' is also a kind of wood but it will not harm your rodents 'respiratory system'. 'Carefresh' is not a type of wood and will also not harm your rodents 'respiratory system'. 'Carefresh' is more of a soft material and your rats will probably enjoy it. So if you have been using 'Cedar' and 'Pine' it's time to swich to a more safer type of bedding.

Rats are commonly diagnosed with repitory problems. Bedding can just make it worse.

I suggest useing plain unsented toilet paper.

goto this site: http://exoticpets.about.com/library/weekly/aa011501a.htm

luckies4me
06-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Pine and Cedar contain toxic "phenols" in the bedding which can seriously damage your ratties lungs. I use Carefresh Ultra and hardwood pellets. I have recently started using just towels for my bucks, as they are potty trained and now are so very good are using their litter box. :D

Some pine beddings are heat treated to release the phenols, but I still wouldn't trust it.

ChloeLove
06-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks. :)

cali
06-21-2003, 08:23 PM
cader and AIR dried pine are bad, KILN dried pine is perfectly safe.