PDA

View Full Version : baby bird care

Luka-pop
06-20-2003, 06:30 PM
I just found a baby bird that was pushed out of its nest. It's hairless with its eyes still unopened, probably not even a week old. He's got a great appetite and bowel movement. I'm feeding him every 45 minutes, some dog food and corn flakes soaked in water, but what else should I do? (The vets won't take him in cuz it's just a sparrow.)

wolfsoul
06-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Here are some links to questions like these. Also, from what I've read, a baby bird needs to be fed every ten-fifteen minutes.

baby robin found (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26687&highlight=baby+bird)
baby bird dropped (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26428&highlight=baby+bird)

Good luck!

PS there are two people that I know of here who have raised wild birds. Allanimalswelcome and Kingrattus. You should pm them and ask a few questions. There are also some here who know alot about birds in general. Try PMing popcornbird or Jessica12345.

Desert Arabian
06-22-2003, 12:36 AM
Here's a good article, from the local humane society near my house........Click Here (http://www.wihumane.com/wildlife/index.html#babybird)

Luka-pop
06-22-2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys! This sparrow is unbelievable! It's eyes opened and its wing feathers are coming out so fast! And its chirp is getting louder and louder every day. It had a cut in its back from falling from the barn ceiling, but it healed nicely. I'll try to post pics later.

Talon
05-30-2004, 02:45 PM
:eek: Wow! I just found 2 baby sparrows also! He, or i think its a he, has his full fethers in now! but his brother, just died...:(

Naughtia
06-28-2004, 04:59 PM
it sounds like you are doing a great job. I personnaly went to the pet swtore and bought some baby bird food and a seringe. and kept feeding my baby sparrow every 30 minutes . I also got some small meal worms and mix it with applesause and feed the bird with a tweezer. it seems to work if you have any other questions plese email me at [email protected]
i am by no means an expert this has just worked for me !;0)

mrm
07-04-2004, 10:54 AM
I recently built a birdhouse and hung it in my backyard. Sparrows moved in, and had babies. However, I didnt make the hole small enough and a bluejay got in it and ate 3 of the 4 babies, then killed the mother. :( I realized I had no choice but to take in the remaining baby. This happened yesterdy, and as of today, the birds eyes are open and it has lots of feahers. I feed it dry baby food mixed with water every hour, and it always swallows its food. The problem is, it wont let me feed it, and I have to pry open its beak to feed it with an eyedropper. Is there any way to get it to let me feed it? Will it learn to trust me over time? If anybody knows something about it, please help.

katiebutterfly
06-19-2005, 08:53 PM
i also found a baby bird in my back yard about 20 minutes ago, i dont know how to take care of it can you give me some advice please? how is your bird doing ? the bird i found is probley about a week old i guess his eyes are closed i fed him half a worm awhile ago and hes sleeping now how often do i feed him and how much? please email me at [email protected] thankyou, katie.