PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Harry Potter fans?

bluekat
06-20-2003, 05:01 PM
:D The fifth book is coming out tomorrow! I ordered it, and I can't wait to get it! They say an important character dies, I'm so eager to find out! But I know I'll be sad too. At 12:00 tonight(12:00 am), some bookstores have a party thing. But I'm not going. I think they just sit there all night and read:D
Anyways, do any of you like Harry Potter?

ChloeLove
06-20-2003, 05:16 PM
I like the books, but not the movies too much. Can't wait to read it, though!
Here are some things I found on AOL.

Here is a snippet of the book:
"Dumbledore lowered his hands and surveyed Harry through his half-moon glasses. 'It is time,' he said, 'for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry. Please sit down. I am going to tell you everything'"

Here are some clues:
-One of Harry's 'fans' will die. Rowling said the death was 'horrible to write'.

-Ginny Weasly will play an important role.

-The author released some hints:
Ron...broom...sacked...house-elf...new...teacher...dies...sorry...thirty-eight chapters...might change...longest volume

The Story:
Problem: The wizarding world will be divided between those who believe Voldemort has returned and those who don't, but Harry will know the threat is very real.

Quiddich Update: Ron joins the Quiddich team.

Defense Against The Dark Arts Teacher: is a woman

Pages: 870

Sorry I've bored you all. I got it from timeforkids.com

binka_nugget
06-20-2003, 05:19 PM
I'm a HUGE harry potter fan. Unfortunatly, I don't have the money to buy it. I have to save $60 dollars for the book Kai chewed up. GRRRR

Once you finish, tell us how you liked it k?

bluekat
06-20-2003, 05:30 PM
I don't want Ron to die, a lot of people think it will be him though.

Hmmm, I wonder how many days it'll take me to finish the book? I'll be reading nonstop all day:D

AmberLee
06-20-2003, 07:28 PM
*blush* I ordered the book months ago and tomorrow KAK and I are visiting Wolflady for a barbeque at her home. When I realized that I'd MISS delivery of HP5 I flipped. PMed Wolflady in a panic if I could have the book delivered to her home instead. So we have an appointment to go pick up HER HP5 tomorrow morning, and mine will be delivered there while we visit at some time. Another friend and I were at Borders today and I was asked if I'm coming to their midnight HP party and I explained it was being delivered instead. The woman in the next line said that her daughter was getting it, but she wasn't. I admitted, "no, I had no kids, but was getting it anyway." I may be old, but I refuse to grow up. :p ;) :rolleyes:

Thanks for the head's up, ChloeLove. At a Harry Potter chat area, someone raised a thread debating whether Dumbledore is on the Dark Side or not. It actually upset me, and I re-read the books to date. I think he's a force for good, but wouldn't that be a real shocker at the end of the series if not? :eek:

babolaypo65
06-20-2003, 07:33 PM
I must admit. I've seen the movies, but havent read the books. I did buy the first one in spanish, to practice! But I havent read it yet. I loved the movies, and WILL read the books.

PayItForward
06-20-2003, 07:58 PM
I have a copy reserved and in about 8 hours (after a sleep), I'll be picking it up. Yeah. Just waited three years for this book.

Could be worst, I waited 13 years for Shelters of Stone by Jean Auel to be written/published and she still has two more to write . :eek:

binka_nugget
06-20-2003, 07:59 PM
Oh definately read the books babolaypo65! If you loved the movies that much...I can almost guarentee you that you'll love the books even more. I'm not much of a book person..but Hp is my other life (other than pet talk and Kai lol)

wolflady
06-20-2003, 09:04 PM
LOL Yep, you can count me in on being a Harry Potter fan! LOL Amberlee, I wonder when they will deliver your book tomorrow! :D We may have to have a "reading session" sometime during the afternoon, eh? ;)
:D

KYS
06-20-2003, 09:11 PM
posted by babolaypo65:I must admit. I've seen the movies, but havent read the books. >>>>>

Same here, I have only seen the movies.
Now my husband has read all the Harry Potter books.
I pre-ordered the book for hubby months ago.
Guess who is waiting in line tomarrow for book #5. lol
(I'll keep him company.)
My co-worker is taking her daughter and 3 of her friends
tonight at the book store near her house.
(I guess certain bookstores are having a party and
selling the book at 9:00 tonight if you had pre ordered)

I wonder how long the lines will be?

RubyMutt
06-21-2003, 12:23 AM
Yep, I'm a fan :) I pre-ordered a copy from Amazon.com and it's guarenteed to be on my doorstep tomorrow! :D

Miss Meow
06-21-2003, 03:19 AM
I am a huge fan, but waiting for the paperback to be released, so it matches the previous four on the bookshelf ;)

IttyBittyKitty
06-21-2003, 07:09 AM
But my partner, Scott, loves them! :) We walked past a book store last night, and he saw the HP release time of 09:00 a.m. and the look in his eyes said, "I want it NOW" ... but he whinged about getting up at 10:00 a.m. to take kitty girl to the vet LOL

He still hasn't got it yet, I think he plans on downloading it from EasyNews (subscriber-only news group)

smokey the elder
06-21-2003, 08:12 AM
One of my coworkers badgered me back in 2000 to listen to HP on tape. I balked, not caring for books on tape and being somewhat of a snob about "children's books." Well, you know what they say about converts. ;) :D

I can wait until the din dies down; they printed plenty of copies for everyone. HOWEVER, if anyone spoils the ending for me they're in BIG trouble!:D ;) :p

PayItForward
06-21-2003, 09:13 AM
I have been reading THE book for 2 hours and I am up to Chapter 14, Page 251 out of 766 pages. :)

At this rate I'll be finished this afternoon. With another three year wait for the next book. :(

It is good...but I better not say anything about the story.

lynnestankard
06-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Yep - I'm a BIG fan too. Don sneaked out very early this morning and went into town and bought it for me!! He's a sweetie-pie!

I wanted the hardback to go with the others!!

I'm with SmokeyTE - nobody tell the end!!

For anyone who's only seen the movie - please read the books, there's so much in them.

PIF - I'm with you about the long wait for the latest Jean Auel - just hope the other two don't take as long!!

Lynne

bluekat
06-21-2003, 09:23 AM
Yes, the books are much better than the movies. The movies are good, but books have more detail.
PayItForward- Wow, you're there already? I haven't even gotten my book yet:( We're going after lunch to pick it up at Indigo. I can't wait! I've been reading the newspaper, and kids have waited in line for hours yesterday night, trying to be the first 50 to go in.

PayItForward
06-21-2003, 09:24 AM
I did hear that she has finished all the research needed and is writing books 6 & 7 together. Horray.

For anyone who wants to read Jean Auel's cavemen books (accurate with archaeology findings etc.)

The series start with :-

:Clan of the Cave Bear
:Valley of the Horses
:Mamoth Hunters
:Plains of Passage
13 year wait
:Shelters of Stone
:Book 6 - Title unknown, no released Date.
:Book 7 - Title unknown, no released Date.

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-21-2003, 12:48 PM
I got my book at midnight from Barnes and Noble!! I started reading it this morning and had to stop to take care of Drake and Andrew.

binka_nugget
06-21-2003, 04:37 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Someone ruined the book for me! ACK! I know who dies..grrrr :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gone Doggin'
06-21-2003, 08:28 PM
YES!!!!!!!!! I LOVE HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
binka shhhhhh i dun wanna know who dies
arg, i don't like hardcovers, so i'll just borrow it from people before i buy the paperbaxk

AmberLee
06-22-2003, 12:39 AM
*pout* My guaranteed delivery did NOT show up. :( :mad: :( Barnes and Noble are NOT on my preferred list today.

However, that was the only negative part of a fabulous day that featured a visit to Wolflady and her hubby's home. :D :D :D

Marius, Scooter, and Sergei are just as adorable as in their photos, and playful and loveable to boot. I'll post more details tomorrow, almost asleep on my feet tonight. Karen, thank you for being the hostess with the mostest today. I loved going to your volunteer job and cuddling kitties with you, too.

kingrattus
06-22-2003, 12:40 AM
I LOVE HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!
I've read all 4 books & have both movies on dvd. My dad ordered 5 copies of the 5th book. if u ordered online by a certan date u got 40% off. & if u spent over 40$ u got free shipping!! The books will be mailed to my dad by tue latest, ya!!! but some cities, like ottawa, had a special on. they got their orders TODAY!!! For the USA PT. our mail doesn't move on sat like urs does. So its not fair... i want my copy now!!! & since I work in the post office, I got to see & handle lots of copies of the book. :mad: :mad: :mad:

jenfer
06-22-2003, 01:32 AM
I love Harry Potter... I have all the books and watched both movies numerous times. :D
I have also preordered the book, but I won't get it until Monday. :( Oh well, I can wait... i think. haha...

smokey the elder
06-22-2003, 08:11 AM
After delivering some cats yesterday I went to BJ's to look for an air conditioner (summer's supposed to emerge dramatically tomorrow!) No big ac's but behold! A HUGE stack of HP and the Order of the PHoenix! Mine, mine, MINE!!!!
:D :D :D

ps. super cheap too.

GoldenRetrLuver
06-22-2003, 10:10 AM
Grrrrrrrr.......Someone told me who dies!!!!! They spoiled it!!! NOOOOOOO:mad:

Tweety_Pie
06-22-2003, 10:29 AM
my brothers girlfriend got the book for $60.00 and my cousin only got it for $30.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluekat
06-22-2003, 11:44 AM
I'm so stupid, I ruined it for myself. I was looking through the book and found the chapter where the person dies.:( Want me to tell you? I'm just joking, I'll let you guys find out for yourselves.;) I got my book yesterday, and I'm on page one hundred and something, and its very good. I couldn't stop reading it, I was up until almost one thirty a.m last night reading.

I ordered my book at Indigo, and when we went there to pick it up yesterday, there were A LOT of them there. I didn't even have to order it:rolleyes:

GoldenRetrLuver
06-22-2003, 12:25 PM
Psst...at Costco the Harry Potter Book is $16.00! ;)

RockyRoad
06-22-2003, 02:11 PM
I love HP too! I got the book yesterday, and started to read it this morning. I'm only on chapter nine, and still don't know who dies, so nobody spoil it! ;)

popcornbird
06-22-2003, 02:26 PM
I love Harry Potter books! The author writes so well, it just gets you so much into the story that you can't stop reading! I'm not really crazy about it, but when I get my hands on the book, I can't get out of it. Really well written and takes you out into a different world. :D I usually borrow the books from my friend. She's a Harry Potter FREAK and gets every book the day they come out. :rolleyes: I'm almost positive she got the 5th one. I like the movies too. I think I can wait a while to read book 5. I'd love to read it, but I'm not in a crazy hurry!

NoahsMommy
06-22-2003, 02:29 PM
I really need to start reading these books. I went to buy them a few months ago and the woman took me through "story time park" at Barnes & Noble to get to the books and I freaked. I was worried the books were for kids and I wouldn't like them. But...seeing as how so many adults here enjoy them, I thnk I'll give them a try. I'm almost done with the newest "Left Behind" book, so I'll need a new series until next spring! ;)

wolfsoul
06-22-2003, 02:30 PM
I've only read one of the books. It's too hard to read them here, they are in such high demand at the library and they are too much money for me to buy...So I wait until the movie comes out, and stand in line an hour early just so I can watch it. :rolleyes: God, it's terrible. We have too many people in this city lol.

I loved the book I read, and i'm a big fan of the movies. I can't wait until the third movie comes out. That's the one that I read. :D

And I know who dies in the fifth one too lol. binka_nugget told me. I won't tell though...

bluekat
06-23-2003, 04:20 PM
It seems like some of us already knows who dies in the book. I really wanted to know who died, and the first thing I did when I got the book was turn to the last page, and see whose names there are there. Then I know who didn't die:rolleyes: :D . But then, flipping through the book I read who dies.:(
PCB- You are right, the books are VERY hard to put down. Once I was up until 1:30 am reading it. I couldn't stop!
Noahsmommy- A lot of adults that I know love the books too, did you know they have an adult edition too? The cover's different, but the inside is the same. So I guess its that others won't see an adult reading a kids' book, lol:D

kingrattus
06-23-2003, 10:37 PM
Yes please don't post who dies... I'm really excited about my book. it'll be in tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

popcornbird
06-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by bluekat

PCB- You are right, the books are VERY hard to put down. Once I was up until 1:30 am reading it. I couldn't stop!

Hehehe. That's nothing. I was up till 3am reading the 1st and 2nd books. :o:o

Ps. I want to know who dies, so anyone who knows, please PM me! :o:o

binka_nugget
06-24-2003, 05:06 AM
lol are you sure pcb??? I'll tell you but...just make sure you're positive on that one...I got really mad when I found out

binka_nugget
06-24-2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Psst...at Costco the Harry Potter Book is $16.00! ;)

Well...I only need $15.80 till I can buy it...Lol god bless the internet...I downloaded a two versions..but i'm pretty sure both are fake..either way, they're very well written

Kfamr
06-24-2003, 05:11 AM
I've never even touched a Harry Potter book. :p

Barbara
06-24-2003, 12:58 PM
I'll wait for the translation. 766 pages in English would take me till Christmas:D But the translation won't be available until mid November. So DON'T tell me:D :D :D

popcornbird
06-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
lol are you sure pcb??? I'll tell you but...just make sure you're positive on that one...I got really mad when I found out

Yes I'm sure! LOL