PDA

View Full Version : Kong ideas

puppygrrl4eva7
06-20-2003, 12:37 PM
I bought Ringo a kong (it's teeny) but he doesn't seem to have any interest in it I put peanut butter in it but he doesn't really care for peanut butter either. Any Kong Ideas?:)

Kfamr
06-20-2003, 01:14 PM
I put pieces of their kibble in Simba and Nala's kong. They roll it around and the food falls out. they seem to like it.

Airedalekisses
06-20-2003, 04:05 PM
use to put water in the puppies' kongs and let it freeze-really helped those teething problems-plus it does keep doggies cool. My Airedale liked a bit of bacon grease-just a tiny bit- smeared in his.:)

cloverfdx
06-21-2003, 09:07 AM
airdalekisses "use to put water in the puppies' kongs and let it freeze

what a great idea for summer i must try that, clover would love it with bit's of fruit added and frozen

clover gets a bit of penutbutter and some dry food (kibble) in her kong, and if she is lucky a lil bit of chesse ~YUM~

binka_nugget
06-22-2003, 08:20 PM
I tried peanut butter a couple times, kai doesn't care for it. He never play with it until I added a broken leash to the end. I just tied a knot and put it through the hole. Now..he loves his kong... :rolleyes:

GoldenRetrLuver
06-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Frozen bananna....lol Daisy LOVES it!:)

Kfamr
06-24-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Airedalekisses
use to put water in the puppies' kongs and let it freeze-

I should try that.... How does the water stay in there while freezing? Did you use something to plug the holes? If so, What?

Airedalekisses
06-24-2003, 11:50 AM
My kongs were the older ones with just one hole. I guess they changed them so the vacuum wouldn't catch the doggies' tongues.You could put the kong in a plastic zip bag filled with water then let the whole block freeze-most beasties I know love to push around chunks of ice.Messy but great on a hot day. And it certainly is that today-90 awful degrees in Indiana

anna_66
06-28-2003, 06:49 AM
I got a couple of good recipies from the Kong Website (http://www.kongcompany.com/). Just click-how to use Kong, there are quite a few recipies and mine have enjoyed every one:D

I just got back from the pet store and got this!
http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/3/3558501111B.jpg

closeg
07-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Hi,
I have a pug so we have the small size kong as well. The Eukanuba puppy biscuits are the perfect size for shoving right down inside the kong - they fit perfect right into the tip and wedge in. It keeps her busy for at least 30 - 60 minutes trying to figure out how to get the "cookie" out.

Georgia

Kona & Oreo's mom
07-16-2003, 01:23 PM
On hot summer days, I make this Kong-cicle for Oreo: Plug the small hole with a Pupperoni stick, put the Kong upside down in a glass, fill the Kong with low-sodium chicken broth, and freeze. Oreo loves it! But it is definately an outside treat--messy!

Omi2003
07-16-2003, 04:04 PM
Wouldn't the peanut butter in the Kong toy be rather high in calories?? I know we feed both our older dog and even Finny, who is 1 1/2, a restricted calorie diet. (Eukanuba) I really watch their diets and treats and I would think the peanut butter wouldn't be good for fitness.

cloverfdx
07-17-2003, 10:24 AM
clover doesnt get penut butter in her kong all the time. but it shouldnt be much of a problem if the dog gets alot of exercise (clover does,flyball,obedience,beginner agility,running at the park with other dogs everyday) so guess she would burn the calories off

it would depend on the individual dog though.

some great kong ideas have been shared and cant wait to try the frozen kong when summer comes (not for a while yet:( )
still to cold/freezing ~Brrrrrrrr~

Omi2003
07-17-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi. I hope you don't think I was criticizing. I wouldn't do that. Well, hopefully I wouldn't! I just wondered about it as we're always trying to keep the dogs weight down. I like the idea of the ice in the kong also. Great idea. I should try it with Finny. He's got one of those small long noses and would love it. Right now, he's pouncing and attacking Maddie. Twice a day he goes nuts! He runs around the house in circles. Around one of our tables, up on the sectional and then stops, then starts again. When he stops it looks like he's thinking! Then he runs full tilt into Maddie. It's absolutely hysterical. We swear he's half fox. He actually plays hide and pounce (or attack). He hides behind trees or furniture then comes running out and pounces on Maddie. We didn't teach this to him. I wonder if it's a Sheltie or Spitz thing. Too funny. Anyway, I'm going to grab the Kong toy and try to figure out how to freeze water in it! :)
Again, hope you know I wasn't criticizing. I'm still in the learning process with dogs....even after 13 years!