PDA

View Full Version : Violette's Expecting...

Desert Arabian
06-20-2003, 12:45 AM
Well, after being flat-out lied to by the pet store worker, Violette is pregnant. It was marked on the tank females only, and the worker assured us she was not pregnant, just chubby. I believed it, because she did not look as big as she does now. She did indeed look chubby, like little Peanut...but..um...no, not fat...pregnant.

I am going to set up her birthing aquarium tomorrow, as in Friday. I'm not quite sure of the exact delivery date. I am extremely stressed out and worried beyond belief, because I leave on Sunday for 6 weeks of horse camp. I am not going to be here for the birth, or anything. I am extremely upset, sad, worried...whatever you want to call it. I have a pit in my stomach...this has never happened to me before, I feel as if I am going to loose my hair. OI! :( :( :( :( :( I wanna cry.

I took some pictures to show you my little mama-to-be. Please excuse the extreme blurryness & fuzzyness. I had to distract her with one hand, and take pictures with the other. You get the general idea of how big she is.

http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/1preg.JPG
http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/2preg.JPG
Look at this pear!!!! Big juicy fresh pear! lol.
http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/3preg.JPG

Those pictures make her look like a little runt, in real life she looks like a battleship-S.S.Violette! :p

shais_mom
06-20-2003, 12:57 AM
good luck!
I know you mom will take good care of them while you are gone!

popcornbird
06-20-2003, 03:20 AM
Wow! She's pregnant for sure! I know you are worried, but please don't be upset. I'm sure your mama will do a great job in taking care of her and doing everything right. :) Hey, and you'll get more ratties! Now what could be better than that? ;)

ChloeLove
06-20-2003, 03:32 PM
Good luck! I hope everything goes well for the mama-to-be. She will make a great mother!!

wolfsoul
06-20-2003, 05:04 PM
Good luck! It's too bad that you have to be away :( I know I would hate for that to happen!

psssst....pop some of them babies in an envelope and mail them to me........;)

Desert Arabian
06-20-2003, 10:44 PM
Violette made a huge nest inside of her Super Pet Igloo. The babies should be here anyday now I believe.

They usually build their nests a day or so before they give birth.

I'll let you know if anything else arises.

:D :D

http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/nest.JPG

CamCamPup33
06-21-2003, 03:26 PM
hopefully she will have them soon before u leave that way u can enjoy yourself at horse camp! i hope u have fun! dont worry she will be fine! :)

luckies4me
06-21-2003, 04:24 PM
If she's that big I would say not any DAY, not ANY SECOND!!! She's huge. If she's building her nest it could be any time, and man I would plan on her having at least 7. ;)

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner YLL, but I have been working all day and just got home.

Make sure that the mom is getting plenty of extra foods, like chicken, kitten food (good ones are Nutro, Innova and Authority). Any extra fat and protein will do her very good. I would feed her as much as she wants to eat until her babies are about 3 weeks old, when they start sampling food on their own. Try to include some fresh salad greens, pears, apples etc. at least three times a week. Pregnant and lactating does also enjoy bread soaked in warm soy milk, it's my does favorite treat and it makes sure they have enough calcium. I also give Nutrical as well, or some crushed up Total Ceral mixed into a little bit of molasses, not honey.

I have only had one doe who lost a little weight while nursing and that was with my current litter whom I just weaned. She was way too young to be pregnant, about 6 weeks.

I would watch for signs of complications, such as no babies with a labor lasting more than 4 hours. Bleeding, especially if she is young. Young inexperienced does may need help with cleaning and cutting the cord, so I always have a pair of little scissors handy just in case. If she doesn't care for them, which she probably will, give her a few hours without any interaction. Keep her in a dark room with fairly low noise, and make sure she has lots of nesting material. I have noticed that most does who make nests make better mothers. ;)

Socialization is very important. I hold babies the night their born to check their milk bands and make sure they are present and thick, and also check whiskers, ears and other fun things like checking sexes. :D Males and female can be easily distinguised at this age. If your mom does not feel comfortable handling the babies, which could be risky since you have had the doe only a few days, then I would suggest starting at around 1 week, when their a little bigger but young enough for daily handling to really make a difference. I usually start with five minutes sessions, then fifteen, and then at about a week and a half I keep them out for about 45 minutes. After their eyes are open I take them out for about an hour in the morn and an hour in the evening. At three weeks I start "tub time", where I let them all play in the tub for a few hours, and I include some toys as well.

I am sure she will be fine, they usually are. However I would see if you can have a vet set up just in case you need to take her in for an emegency C-section. Again, not likely but it's good to be prepared. I don't know if I am forgetting anything.

OOOh yes! If the mom nipps, I take a towell to cover her and than take out the babies. I have had two nippy girls when they had babies, but they get over it when the babies turn about two weeks old, and then the mom pretty much begs you to take them out. :p

luckies4me
06-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Oh yes, how could I forget! If you are there for the birth, make sure to take plenty of pictures!!! :D :cool: