PDA

View Full Version : Bad News For Our New Baby

ilovehounds
10-23-2001, 10:04 AM
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/028/Xw/Dn/rQ/Qe41585.jpg

Little Herc is in the doggie hospital :(
Sunday night he tried to jump up on the bed but didn't make it and fell down and busted his leg.

We got a call at 10 oclock at night from my brother asking if someone would come down to watch Emma so they could rush Hec to the vets. My mom and I went down, I wasn't prepared for what I saw. Jen had Hec in her arms laying on his back (like you would hold a baby) and his front right paw was bent right back dangiling.

They had to leave him there the vet knocked him out and told them that she would Xray it and call them in the morning. They went to the vets first thing the next morning to see him amd the vet told them that the bone was broke right through and it was on an angel. It would take a steel rod on the outside of the leg with pins drilled in to fix it. The bill would be $825 .

They just had a baby, they just signed the lease to there new house and now this.. but even though they have NO money they couldn't let him go. We all plan on pulling together to get the money, and helping out anyway we can to help them save money, like baby sitting, alternate buying the baby supplies and I have even started my brothers website (he air brushes) to help him spread his business and get more orders.

We get to bring him home on Friday, he has to stay VERY quiet and his leg has to be kept VERY clean. We are going to help look after him.

Money is tight but in times like this we will pull together to help little Herc and find it somehow.

My prayers are with Herc for a safe operation and a quick recovery ....

Violet
10-23-2001, 10:14 AM
Oh the poor thing! He's so tiny. Please give him hugs and kisses from me. Get well soon Herc.

purrley
10-23-2001, 10:33 AM
OH the poor baby - I hope everything goes OK with his operation - being that he's so small he should make a good recovery. Give the little Herc a bundle of kisses & loves from me.

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-23-2001, 10:50 AM
ilovehounds,

Would it be OK if I set a little contribution to Herc's recovery fund? I can oly send you $25.00 or so, but I am sure every little smount can help.

Please let me know.

ilovehounds
10-23-2001, 11:03 AM
Souraya that is so very kind of you, its people like you who make this world a better place :)

But it would not be up to me to say yes, I would have to take that up with my brother, and he hates it as it is that he is taking for money from us. I pride thing I think :)

You are a wonderful person, and I thank you for your kind offer.

Corinna
10-23-2001, 11:31 AM
Not to hurt your brothers pride but maybe you could let us know the vet hospitals name and location and we could sent it directly there. It allows his pride intact and lets us feel better, we use to do this at the vets we worked at and after the bill was paid any left went to help some one else who had the same situation.

ilovehounds
10-23-2001, 12:05 PM
Oh gosh you are never going to believe me when I tell you this.... I think little Herc has a Doggie Angel Looking out for him.

I just got off the phone with my brother, he went over to visit Herc on his lunch break to see how he was doing, and the vet told him that your families donations have paid five hundred dollars off the vet bill, so all you need to pay is three hundred and twenty five, she told him to take his time they will set up a pay off program for the rest. So feeling happy he went back to work and ten min. later Jen pulled in all happy telling him that she has three hundred dollars for the vet bill. He was shocked but it turns out that ......

they had made a deal with their landlord (the one they are leaving) that if they found someone to move in to the place on the firts of November then they wouldn't have to pay the last month rent (firts and last months rent agreement) and he agreed.

Well anyway a young women who is having a baby wanted a bigger house and when she walked into the house and saw the babies room she fell in love with the place and is taking over the rent starting Nov. So the landlord will give them back their check for the last months rent.

Is that not to wierd to believe ??? Hercs been touched by an Angel :D

Chris wanted me to tell you this "Souraya you are a beautiful person, and I thank you very much for wanting to help us out, I wish you well and if you ever need help I hope in some way I can"

Wow I still can't believe how things just all of a sudden turned around for the best in a matter of two days :D

tatsxxx11
10-23-2001, 12:27 PM
OMG! First, poor little Herc. What a tiny little one he is. I am SO relieved that the vet was able to repair and save his leg, and his life. And then, the happiest ending! You know, by this evening, everyone here would have answered the call to help your family and little Herc for sure. You ARE family!! But Herc does have a very special guardian angel. A little, teeny, weeny one sitting right on his shoulder!!! Get well soon, and heal soundly little man. You are so adorable and I'm so sad you had to suffer such a painful injury! We love you!

purrley
10-23-2001, 12:27 PM
That is so very wonderful - that precious puppy should be just fine. I'm so happy all the financial stuff is out of the way - now everyone can completely concentrate on this little guys recovery (not that you wouldn't have anyway). God Bless :)

aly
10-23-2001, 12:29 PM
Angie, I just saw this post and am glad I was able to see the good news at the end. Please don't hesitate to ask us if any of your or your family's babies ever have off the wall medical bills again. I am sure many of us who are able would be more than happy to help.

I am SO glad everything has worked out and I hope the little Herc man is on the road to recovery. Give him a kiss from me :)

jackiesdaisy1935
10-23-2001, 01:26 PM
Angie, I just got to this post and I couldn't believe what happened to little Herc and then sad because of the financial burden they had, then happy to hear what a wonderful family you all are. It warms the heart.
I was going to ask what kind of air brushing your brother did, maybe of dogs, people might be interested in buying some of his shirts to help out.
Please give the little guy a little hug and kiss from Daisy, Perry and me.

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-23-2001, 02:48 PM
ilovehounds,

I am very happy to know that little Herc is going to be fine and that his bills are going to get paid. Thank you and Chris for your kind words.

Hurray for happy endings!

Daisy's Mom
10-23-2001, 03:11 PM
Herc is too cute to have this happen! I love his little face! I hope he gets well soon.

delidog
10-23-2001, 04:44 PM
i love hounds...i am sorry that i am late to the post...but i am glad that little herc is alright....i was just about to write and agree with the others...about setting up a fund at the vets address so your brother didn't have to feel embarassed...when i read further....there is an angel watching over lil' herc and your family.....and you are so deserving....hope all is well!!! the deli dog :)

Golden Smiles
10-23-2001, 05:25 PM
I just read this, and I feel so bad for that wee one. What a terrible break. :( Please give Herc a hug and a smooch from me! What a great family you have, all pulling together like that!

ilovehounds
10-23-2001, 06:27 PM
Chris just stopped in. Herc had his operation and came through it well.

They put three hard plastic (not steal, something about the cold)rods on the top, and sides of his leg and drilled pins through them into his bone. He was very sleepy when they saw him but he was still able to wag that little stump of a tail :D Im sure he will do just fine, he is a mighty little dog and very well loved.

Chris and Jen send all there love and thank yous to all you kind, caring people. They felt really good to hear that so many wonderful people were willing to help them out.

Thank You Pet Talkers, you are true Angels !

Logan
10-23-2001, 07:14 PM
Awwwwwww....poor little Hercules :( You know, Herc, I just recently transported a little boy named Cheech to his forever home. He broke his leg too! It was a back leg with him, and he had decided that he needed to play with the "big" dogs, when he was just a pup. You know what? He's doing great!!! He had to be quiet for a while, but after that, he cut loose and had a big time! :D I'm sure you will too.

Hang in there little buddy. It will all be ok!

Logan

crow_noir
10-23-2001, 07:32 PM
in the beginning of the thread i wanted to cry because i felt horribal, my now my eyes are all teared up out of joy. i love happy tales like this! so real, but sooooo much like a faerie tale!

RachelJ
10-23-2001, 07:55 PM
I feel so bad for little Herc having to go through such an ordeal. These little ones are fragile. It doesn't take much. He will probably mend nicely, but it just is so upsetting to think of him in any kind of pain. Prayers for Herc's fast and complete recovery everybody.

10-23-2001, 09:21 PM
Herc is in my thoughts and prayers. I was sooo sad when I read this this morning. My godmom just had one of her puppies in a cast... a little dachsund! They are so tiny and yet have this huge thing on their leg! I'm sure Herc is a trooper and will pull thru just fine!

That is so wonderful how you all are pulling together... I wouldn't have expected anything less though. You are wonderful :D!

Good luck and give Herc a big kiss for me and my girls :D!

*LabLoverKEB*
10-23-2001, 09:34 PM
Poor little Herc! I'm really glad he's alright, though! ;)

That's amazing... I think Herc really was touched by an Angel!

LabLover & Sadie*

Sudilar
10-23-2001, 10:59 PM
Oh poor little baby!!!!! I'm glad Herc got through the surgery and I hope the road to recovery is a smooth one. He'll be in my prayers.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-24-2001, 07:37 AM
Poor little baby! Glad to hear that he will be okay! Those puppy bones can heal quickly!

This is like a reality check for all of us with pets! Who knows when accidents or illness in a pet might demand a great deal of money? It certainly wasn't expected in a puppy! I know some people who's dog got sick very quickly with a serious illness, and they had not only the initial costs of stabilizing and diagnosing the dog, but then $100 treatments each week or so. Luckily, after a few treatments, the dog stabilized to a point where she won't need more treatments for a long time. Scary, isn't it - not only that your pet is sick or hurt, but also there's the underlying fear that you'll go broke!
Somehow, God comes in and saves the day, like with little Herc!! :D

mugsy
10-24-2001, 11:23 AM
I'm glad to hear that Herc is going to be fine. This story only reaffirms to me that dog people are the best people!

Albea
10-24-2001, 12:29 PM
Sometimes is good to read a post late ;) This way I get not only the bad news but the good ones at the end.
I'm so very sorry little Herc had to go through such a painful experience and your family through such anxiety. But it's so good to know that the pup is doing well, on his way to recovery, and your brother and sister-in-law won't have to worry about the vet's bills. There was indeed a guardian angel looking over all of you and ready to reward you for your love for one another and your compassion for the little one. I hope the angel stays with you for a very long time.

tatsxxx11
10-24-2001, 01:49 PM
So glad to hear that little Herc is on the mend :) Please give your family my love and little Herc a kiss when you see him! What a brave little boy you are Herc!!

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

AdoreMyDogs
10-24-2001, 02:01 PM
Poor little tiny itty bitty Herc man :( Kiss his boo boo for me when he gets home. May he get those mighty dog bones healed rapidly and be back to his old bouncy self :)

Daisy's Mom
10-24-2001, 06:51 PM
I am glad Herc's on the mend. What a hectic time for your family! I am glad that he is going to be okay.

lizbud
10-24-2001, 08:42 PM
I'm sorry that Herc had such a bad fall;
but am much relieved about his chances for
complete recovery!!BEST OF LUCK HERC!!! Liz.

KYS
10-24-2001, 10:17 PM
Very glad that everything has worked out,
and Herc is re-cooperating.

Speedy recovery and plenty of good wishes. :)

ktreva52
10-24-2001, 10:31 PM
I am so glad Herc will be all right, but you know, this does make me think, would it be possible for us to set up some sort of "family fund" for instances like this? If everyone that posts here gave a few bucks/month, we could have some sort of emergency fund available for situations like this or to help folks like DogResQ (see "Unbelievable") and Hope. Whatcha all think?

sammi
10-25-2001, 10:38 AM
Poor little Herc. I hope he is getting along okay at home. Yes , you do have an angel looking out over you! :)

ilovehounds
10-25-2001, 06:57 PM
Sorry, I haven't posted latley, I have had all day classes yuck!

But I do have some more news, guess what Hercs home. He came home last night, my brother went over after work to see him and the vet asked if he wanted to take him home. Chris thought she was joking but the vet said ya he is fine and has been up and crying for Jen ever since she left him at lunch so we think if you keep him VERY quiet he can go home.

So he is at home, he doesn't want to stay quiet he wants to go go go :D so he stays in his cage most of the time and snuggles in bed when he's quiet and tired. He is not in a cast so they are really carefull with him. He has a cone on his head so he can't chew at his leg, he looks sooo cute, I'll have to post pics when I get them devoloped.

Well I gotta go, I have the pleasure of babysitting Emma tonight and she just woke up :D

Daisy's Mom
10-25-2001, 08:35 PM
YAAAAAAAAAY! Herc, you take it easy now!!!

Dixie Belle
10-25-2001, 11:48 PM
A speedy recovery to the little guy!!!

tatsxxx11
10-27-2001, 04:07 PM
How's the little Herc man doing???

lizbud
10-27-2001, 08:25 PM
Just checking in to see how Hercules is
doing today...I hope he is able to heal
quickly!!!

ktreva52,
I've been thinking about your idea for a
general 'animal fund' to help out & offer a
'helping paw' to those who need it. I would
definately support such a fund! I'm not a
wealthy person by any means, but a few dollars a month by members here could really
add up. So if it's O.K. by Karen & Paul,
I would be happy to contribute to such a
'helping' fund!!!

K9karen
10-28-2001, 10:25 PM
I'm playing catch up again, but I'm so glad I was able to read a happy ending! The mysteries of life never cease to amaze me! How comforting that Chris and Jen had such fabulous luck and that Herc has a guardian puppy on his wee shoulder! ;)
I think that KTreva had a brillant idea! I'm not wealthy either, but if any of my PetTalk family needed help, I'd do what I could in a minute!!! If everyone gave $5,10 a month, we could start a PetTalk Health Fund! Afterall, you never, ever know when you need help. If you can't rely on your friends, and not be ashamed or afraid, who can you turn to, esp; if family is unable.?
I don't sit here at 1130p cause I don't have anything else to do! I may be a little tardy sometimes, but I know there are many of us who contsnatly keep in touch. C'mon, I know we all must like each other immensely (in my case love) to care so much!
Is it leagl? Don't know. Don't care. I don't think it's soliciting!/ For those of you who are not working or in school, so what, nobody has to know how much who gives or WHO gives.! AND when we don't use it, cause we all have healthy puppsters, we can use it to build Petsville (LOL!) OR have a reunion someday!
Bottom line, I'm all for it!!

ilovehounds
10-29-2001, 09:04 AM
Hey guys

A quick update. Little Herc is doing well. He isn't the happeist puppy in the world but he is doing good and he's not in any pian.

He has to stay in a crate with a cone on his head for another 4 weeks, he isn't allowed to move other then to go out for his duties and then right back in. They let him out and wrap him in a blanket so he can't move for his snuggles :) he misses sleeping in bed under the covers at night, but they just can't take the chance that they might roll on his leg.

He has six screws in his leg and they each have to be cleaned with proxide twice a day, it's hard to do because he hates it.

But the vet garantees he will be back to 100% in 4-5 weeks.

Daisy's Mom
10-29-2001, 07:22 PM
Oh poor Herc! My heart goes out to that little angel. I hope these 4 weeks pass quickly for him and that by the time Santa Paws comes with lots of treats, he will be running around like new!

jackiesdaisy1935
10-29-2001, 07:51 PM
Herc is not liking life right now, but bet he will make up for it in just about 4 to 5 weeks. He is such a sweet little boy, glad to hear he is making progress and it won't be long before he will be back doing what he likes best. Hugs and kisses
Jackie

ktreva52
10-30-2001, 06:05 PM
I'm so glad Herc is doing better. It won't be long before he's back to his happy, busy little self.

Here's a further thought on a fund to help out. We have 2,200+ members. If everyone donated $1 per month for a year, that would come out to over $26,000 in a year. That would help out a lot of emergency needs or for some of the rescue dogs' needs. All we need is someone to administer the fund and act as "selection committee" for needs/requests. Anyone willing to do that? If the funds were put in a liquid mutual fund account, they would be accessible and earning interest. We could set it up as a not-for-profit if necessary and work from there or as a sort of group insurance thing. Any attorneys out there? What would be the legal ramifications? Tax liabilities? I think it would be best if any requests for funds include the vet's name and address and funds could be sent directly to the vet. That way, no one would have to worry about propriety. The other pet folks should probably have a look at this, too.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: ktreva52 ]