PDA

View Full Version : Can dogs drink too much??

GSDgurl
06-19-2003, 08:03 AM
Colby....my 8 week old puppy...if you haven't heard of him is opsessed(sp) w/ water. I know water is good for him and I give him water every time its time to eat. N' he has water outside too when were outside. I only give him water in a small bowl n' don't fill it up all the way. B/c when he does get near a big water bowl he tries to drink ALL of the water....:eek: ....n' thats A LOT~! Then when he is done drinking out of his lil' water bowl inside he has the hiccups for awhile ..... b/c he drunk it soo fast. I usually have to pull him away from the water bowls outside b/c he won't stop drinking.

He has a suppy of water all day....so its not like he is dehidrated(sp) or anything....he just drinks too much. Could this be a problem?? Has anybody else had this problem w/ their dogs??

Thanx for any help you give
Casey

anna_66
06-19-2003, 08:05 AM
We've always let our dogs drink all they want & we've never had a problem. I guess he's thirsty if he wants to drink it all;)

GSDgurl
06-19-2003, 08:24 AM
Well yea he might be thirsty.....n' he has a suppy of water all day long too....all the animals do. Its just 2 big water bowls filled up is a lot to drink for such a lil' puppy. Its like he don't know when to stop drinking his water.

Thanx though..

micki76
06-19-2003, 09:18 AM
We never withhold water for any reason. They only drink as much as they need.
Have you taken him to the vet yet? We always take our dogs a day or two after they arrive at our home, just to get everything checked out and let our vet get acquainted with them.

If not, and if he drinks an enormous amount and you haven't seen the vet, make an appointment and make yourself feel better.

ParNone
06-19-2003, 09:55 AM
I haven't encountered a situation that's similar to yours, but
dogs can drink too much water. When Murph and Maddie
were younger, they loved to play in the sprinkler. Murph
you could let play with it as long as he liked, but Maddie
had to have a time limit. If not, she would drink the water
to the point where her stomach was bloated and she
was in pain and severely drooling. Never had this problem
with her water bowl, only had to monitor her water intake
with the sprinkler.

Par...

GSDgurl
06-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Par-- Thanx for that info....that is what my Mom was thinking when he gets to drinking soo much. So I do watch what he does...all the time anyways...b/c he is just a puppy.

Micki-- I don't withold our water at all either.....I never said that....they get water all day long...as much as they want. We are taking him to the vet next week....when it can fit into the schedule. (I can't drive...Mom has to take me)

Anyways thanx for the advice~!
Casey....

lovemyshiba
06-19-2003, 01:22 PM
Riley likes to drink a lot of water too--I think it may be a puppy thing!! He doesn't get the hiccups though, he usually just slobbers it all over me when he's done:)