PDA

View Full Version : A story that will break your heart

apcrs5122
06-18-2003, 03:58 PM
Ok....as you all know, it's Alex's birthday tomorrow and I was thinking of how great a dog he's been for us. That got me thinking of his story of his previous home, and now I just have to vent (I hope you will still read this, even though it's long):

We adopted a 9 year old Alex in April of 2002, so we've had him for a year now. When I learned his story when we were taking him home, I was broken-hearted and so angry at the same time. The old owners had had him since he was a puppy (I'm pretty sure of this) and when they gave him up, he was almost 10 years old. He had on his collar and all of his tags when he came in, and when the shelter called the number, they said they were tired of him and that they didn't want him! I couldn't believe that after having such a great, loving dog for 10 YEARS that they didn't want him back! They said he was a fence jumper, which is true, but he was jumping a 4 ft. fence using a sandbox to get over! I mean they could have atleast moved the box so he couldn't use it to get over! And do keep in mind he's a great pyr/newfie mix which is a very, very large dog! Oh, and they kept him outside probably most of the time, which is bad enough in the summer, but he's a LONG HAIRED dog!!! They had another dog, a boxer, and when they fed them, they made Alex stay back until the other dog finished eating, and once he had eaten his share, there was only like 1/2 a cup of food left for Alex! And they didn't ever give him more! Now that's neglect, because he eats AT THE MINIMUM 4 cups of food a day!! Also when he somehow got out of our backyard and got picked up by animal control, :( , we had to go get his rabies certificate (which was given to him before we got him), on the form it said that he was neutered, which he had NOT been, until we got him!!

So all in all, his owners were cruel, neglectful liars!!

I'm so sorry this is so long ;) but I just had to vent and get it all out.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-18-2003, 04:01 PM
I just don't understand people sometimes... What's the point of getting another dog, if you don't want him? I'm glad you did what you did and I bet Alex is too. :)

apcrs5122
06-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Yes, I think Alex is much happier now that we have him. May I add that while at the shelter, Alex was 86 pounds, and now he is 116, the right weight!

bluekat
06-18-2003, 04:04 PM
I know its tomorrow, but anyways, Happy Birthday Alex!:D

Your story made me very mad and sad at the same time too. I don't understand how someone could just throw away a dog, when they've had him for 10 years. Don't they even love him? I agree, those are very cruel owners, he doesn't even get enough to eat, poor dog.
Thank you for adopting Alex, I'm sure he's having a much better life now.:)

apcrs5122
06-18-2003, 04:49 PM
Yes, he definitely is in a better home, and is very, very happy! (Especially now because he knows he is getting presents tomorrow!!)

ChloeLove
06-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl
I just don't understand people sometimes... What's the point of getting another dog, if you don't want him? I'm glad you did what you did and I bet Alex is too. :)

EXACTLY! Some people just don't deserve to have dogs. :mad: :mad: :mad:

carole
06-18-2003, 05:31 PM
HAPPY BIRTTHDAY ALEX, at least now he has a wonderful home, what he truely deserves, shame on those people shame shame shame on them and much more:mad:

wolfsoul
06-18-2003, 05:35 PM
Sad story :(

Do you have any pics of Alex? :) I've ALWAYS wanted to see a pyr/ newfie mix, always thought it would look neat :D

apcrs5122
06-18-2003, 05:38 PM
Also there is one other thing that happened to my poor baby in his old home. He was beaten. Not just beaten, but cornered so he couldn't get away, then beaten. By a man, so now he either cowers whenever a man comes near him, or acts as if he wants to take his head off (I'm not saying he is an agressive dog, which he is not, he just has had bad experiences)!

apcrs5122
06-18-2003, 05:40 PM
I do have pictures, but I can't post them, due to computer things. He looks basically like a Newfoundland landseer, only with smaller ears and a slightly more pointed muzzle. He also has double dew claws on his back feet, so his hind feet look kind of funny. As soon as I can post pictures, I will!

joycenalex
06-18-2003, 07:58 PM
happy birthday alex! may there be more years of plenty for you!

captain
06-18-2003, 08:09 PM
Sweetheart Alex - at least now you have a better home, more weight, and LOVE!!!!!!!

CattleDogMom
06-18-2003, 10:33 PM
Thank the Mighty Ones he now has a wonderfull home and a happy ending to his sad story.

Crystal

CamCamPup33
06-19-2003, 12:10 PM
poor alex ur getting all the love and attention u need now dont worry! :D