PDA

View Full Version : What a problem!

anna_66
06-18-2003, 07:05 AM
I am just at my whits end here!

I've taken this rottie girl from the shelter, she is a lovebug for sure but I don't think she's used to being in the house. She can't lay still for a minute. I had her in the house from about 5:30 this morning till just a little bit ago.
Oh, did I forget to tell you we put her in the kennel last night & she got out:eek: Yep, she tore the chain link on the kennel up (about a 8-10 in place ) and squeezed through! We thought she was in the dog house, but then I looked out again & there she sat in front of the door!
Anyway, she knows that's how she got out & as soon as I put her back in, she tried to stick her head through again. So for the moment I've put the dog house in front of the door to keep her in. She ripped through my back screen already so I don't want to leave her loose in the yard, she might try to scratch up the door now.
What do I do??????????
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Logan
06-18-2003, 07:22 AM
She's bound to be agitated and nervous, Anna, and probably very scared. :( Poor girl. Poor you! How long is she staying with you? I don't think I'd leave her outside, unsupervised, if you can help it. You don't need to have your house torn up, nor do you want to have her get out before she can head towards her new home.

I wish I had some suggestions. Do you have a large crate that you could crate her in when you are not at home? Sounds like that may be the best option for her to stay safe when you're not there. I would think that she will settle down some today, when she realizes that she is safe.

How are your dogs doing with her??

anna_66
06-18-2003, 08:24 AM
They aren't doing at all Logan:( It's just the same as yesterday.

And the only crate I have is the size I put Roxey in, I don't think that would be big enough for her, plus I don't think I could get her in it.

I'm sure she's scared & all, I just wish we could find someone to take her. Needless to say Mark's not too happy about her tearing up the kennel & won't be happy about the screen either since it's new:(

Do I sound like an awful person, but I just can't deal with this & don't think it will change. I know all she wants is to be with me, but I have to think of my dogs too.

micki76
06-18-2003, 09:49 AM
Oh, man do I ever understand! We've been in the same kind of situation before. You feel so upset because you're trying to do the right thing, but it blows up in your face! How soon wil she be going to her new home or foster? If it's a short time, hold on, you can make it. If it's a long time- well, try to make it or move it up!

A large crate would be best, but if you could get her into Roxey's, that would be better than nothing or having your house torn up.

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Oh Anna, I am so sorry that you are going through this. Been there, done that! Just try not to lose focus of the cause. Rose is probably just scared and hopefull will start settling down soon. Can she not be confined to a room in your house away from the dogs? You said she loves being with you, but you also need to be with your babies. I understand. She won't be there forever and I am sure your babies won't mind you spending time with her. Sounds like she needs alot of love and attention.

Sorry about your kennel and the screen. I am sure Mark will be understanding. He might be upset at first, but he'll be fine.

I wish I knew someone who was interested in adopting this baby. Perhaps Molly will have some lead.

Give yourself a pat on the back for a good deed that you are doing. Don't despair!

anna_66
06-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by micki76
How soon wil she be going to her new home or foster? If it's a short time, hold on, you can make it.

As of this minute, she doesn't have a home to go to!

The lady who had planned on taking her now knows that she wouldn't be great with other dogs (at least not now) & she can't take her:(
This is one of the reasons I'm so bummed.
As for getting her in a crate, it kinda scares me. She doesn't like to be in confined places (even the bathroom) & at this time I don't want to force her.

And Souraya, your right. I took Mark lunch today & told him. He wasn't upset at all, he says it can all be fixed. What a man I have!
And yes, the kids are being very good about all of it.
The worst thing is she got back out of the kennel again before I left this afternoon, but she just laid on the back porch, it's the first time I've seen her sleep:) So I've just let her stay out there for now and sleep (obviously she needs it!)

micki76
06-18-2003, 02:38 PM
I know you said she's not good with your dogs, but have you tried just one of them at a time? Maybe Angus first since he's a male? Maybe if you and Mark took them in separate cars to a neutral place they could be reintroduced on leashes without problems. She’s most likely frightened of all three on their territory. Just a suggestion. We had to do this with my three little ones. Millie and Granny still do not get along, but it’s more tolerable now that we did the neutral reintroduction. May be worth a try, but be very careful.

lizbud
06-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Anna,

I've seen the pics of Rose that you posted & she does look
very sad & confused. Poor girl.:( Sorry about your kennel &
screen. I wish so much that I could help you somehow. You have
such a good heart to try to help this rottie girl.Do you think that
you (with Mark helping) could wash some of the stink off her?
I'll bet she would feel so much better. I don't really understand
who was supposed to eventually get Rose. The Shelter that Molly
spoke of? Or someone else at the end of the transport? Anyhoo,
I want to wish you the very best of luck with Rose & hope that
anyone else who also has "been there, done that" can offer you
more helful advise. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} Hang in there Anna.:)

mugsy
06-18-2003, 05:41 PM
And guess whose fault all of this is? MINE! I feel so badly. The good news is that after 2 days of phone calls and LOTS of tears I think I have found a shelter that will take dear Rose. I was hoping we could get her up there tonight but the 2 women that run it run it out of their home and both had to be at work at 3:30 this afternoon. I'm hoping that Anna and I can take her up there tomorrow afternoon when Anna gets off work.

Cinder & Smoke
06-18-2003, 05:55 PM
Seems like Miz Rose doesn't like *confinement* :rolleyes:

That may create serious problems with getting her into a Foster or Permanent Home :(. Here's what was done with Cinder when she developed "chewing issues" if left upstairs at home...

We created the Tyme-Out Wall & Chain in the basement. (Only works if you have an INDESTRUCTABLE corner or long stretch of wall available!) We cleared a 6 foot area of two walls in a corner - concrete block walls, concrete floor = NOTHING to *chew* on!! Drilled a hole in the wall at floor level; lead anchor and a closed eye-bolt attached a 5-6 foot Heavy Chain to the corner. Swivel snap-hook on the other end and - WALLA - a "Nuffin to Chew On", escape-proof, confinement area - without a super-confining cage or pen (that she might have tried to chew through ot get *hung up* on).
And she had about 28 square feet of floor space -
same space as a 5 Foot by 5 Foot Cage or Kennel!
A LOT more space than the average dog crate offers.

The only things "within chain reach" were a water bowl, some NylaBone chew toys, and a rug. *Dump* the water, and she went thirsty and had damp feet. Toss the toys out of reach and she got bored. She learned - quickly! Oh - and save the *BARKING* - only the Kat could hear her!
Luckily, she learned her House Manners within a month or so - and she only spent time in jail if I went to a Fire Event and couldn't take her along.

We *dusted off* the Wall & Chain when Smokey was adopted - but he only spent a few nights "down in jail" till he got the hang of House Manners.

If the basement jail can't be created; consider a garage or outside location - but consider the possibility of *BARKING* being a problem with neighbors! :eek:

Greatest concerns are
1) She can't get at ANYTHING that can be chewed upon...
2) She can't get the chain wrapped around or caught on anything...
3) She can't bother anyone with barking, whining, or howling...

Good Luck to You AND Rose!

anna_66
06-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Don't feel bad Molly, we are both doing our parts:)
So hopefully we can get her into a good enviroment with lots & lots of love (just what she needs!)
Well, I haven't tried the bath thing, but of course I've been brushing the *stink* off of her for the last 2 days & thanks to the order I made last week I just today received the Pure Bright-rinseless shampoo, what luck! So she laid in the kitchen floor & I sprayed her down & massaged it in, she just loved it:D Not to mention the brushing, she loves that as well (thank goodness because she had so much dead hair, she looked horrible). I must say in the 2 days she's been with us, her coat looks better, and she seems to feel better, hey, ever her poo is better looking:p
We don't have a basement or anywhere that could be done John, but it is an awesome idea. Mark fixed the kennel & hopefully she can't tear it up again. Seems like she's hurting her nose more than the kennel:( Mark also sprayed hot sauce all over the door to deter her from trying to get out again, she knows the door leads to freedom! As for the barking, she only barks when we come in, maybe for a couple of minutes or so. So that's not a big problem thank goodness.
Good news....she loves to play ball & can run like the wind! She will be a beautiful dog when she fills out.
We did let the dogs out while she was kenneled, Angus was fine as long as we weren't around, but as soon as we came out he was protecting us:rolleyes: and started barking, but not for too long. So we let all 3 out, Huney, she could have cared less & Angus & Roxey just kinda hung out around the cage. Rose wasn't too crazy with all of them out. I think if worked with she could handle other dogs, maybe not love them, but handle them.
Well I've took up enough space & time. Thanks for letting me go on & thanks for all the suggestions:)

mugsy
06-18-2003, 10:27 PM
Too late Anna, I still feel like a jerk for doing this to you.

OH HAPPY DAY!!!! OH HAPPY DAY!!!!! I just got off the phone with Vicki and she said that if the girl in LaPorte doesn't take Rose that she will and Mike has said that he will work with her on her aggression issues if she does end up at Vicki's. But....the great news is that the 56.4 pound weight has been lifted off of our shoulders....she is guarenteed to live!!!! YEAH!!!!!

micki76
06-18-2003, 10:34 PM
YAY!!!!

Oh, Molly!! You guys all just freakin' rock!!!!!

captain
06-18-2003, 10:35 PM
Oh Oh Oh - Molly - you are such a legend!!!!!

Anna - you too!!!! Sorry you had to go through such a hard time with her.

Between you both you have saved a very scared dog, and we all know that with Mike working on her agression issues, all will be well!!!

You guys are great - I have tears in my eyes .....

mugsy
06-18-2003, 10:36 PM
A little more good news....Vicki is also going to attempt to save 7 more dogs tomorrow from a kill shelter in eastern Ohio!! They are all just precious....wish us luck on both sides!!!

Cincy'sMom
06-18-2003, 10:45 PM
Yeah for Rose!!! And for everyone involved!!! You guys are swesome...I was thinking about you all through dress rehersal tonight wondering how things were going!!!

ChrisH
06-19-2003, 06:27 AM
:)Nothing but good news!:) YAY for all!!!:)

You guys are so great!!!:D

anna_66
06-19-2003, 07:16 AM
I was so glad to get your call last night, I slept so well & so did Rose. I never heard a peep out of her & I don't know if it was the pepper spray or what, but she didn't try to get out again:D
She's starting to know what "Wanna go outside?" is, and when I take her out she potties. She will make someone a wonderful pet, like me & Mark said "If we didn't already have dogs, we'd keep her!"

Oh and I forgot to add, I got my first kiss from her yesterday while she laid in the chair with me:D Now that's progress!

micki76
06-19-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by anna_66
Oh and I forgot to add, I got my first kiss from her yesterday while she laid in the chair with me:D Now that's progress!

What a sweetie pie!!! :) :cool:

mugsy
06-19-2003, 09:47 AM
I am so excited to meet her today!!

Just so you know, Anna and I were talking last night and she said to call whenever I found something out about Rose. Well, I was talking to Vicki and it was almost 11pm when I finally convinced her to take Rose if the other shelter didn't come through. Well, that made it midnight at Anna's, but, I did what she wanted:D and called her. I woke her up (she said I didn't lol) and told her the good news and gave her a hard time because she didn't seem to be overly excited and told her she should be doing her happy dance....thus the title of her post today! lol

lovemyshiba
06-19-2003, 12:42 PM
Oh, she sounds like such a sweetie!!!!

Sudilar
06-19-2003, 01:17 PM
What a dynamic duo you two are!!!! Congratulations!!! You both are Angels!! Woohoo!

anna_66
06-20-2003, 08:31 AM
I must say now...............

SHE WAS WORTH EVERY BIT OF TROUBLE WE WENT THROUGH! :D

I know I didn't think that at the time, but I truly fell in love with Rose and miss her so much it brings tears to my eyes. But I know that they can find her a wonderful home with wonderful people who can love her & give her the attention she needs!

tatsxxx11
06-20-2003, 08:53 AM
Anna, dear, dear Anna. I for one am NOT surprised to read that you feel in love with your sweet Rose ! You gave her the most cherished gift a living soul could ever hope for...selfless, unconditional love!! You gave her food, shelter and comfort, You showed her patience and love...and most of all, you gave her HOPE!:) Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! Bless you Rose!

bnormal
07-01-2003, 08:14 AM
"Oh Oh Oh - Molly - you are such a legend!!!!!

Anna - you too!!!! Sorry you had to go through such a hard time with her.

Between you both you have saved a very scared dog, and we all know that with Mike working on her agression issues, all will be well!!!

You guys are great - I have tears in my eyes .....

What more needs to be said?

:D :D :D