PDA

View Full Version : Microchipped

K & L
06-17-2003, 04:33 PM
We've thought about this but have never done it.

Uabassoon
06-17-2003, 04:36 PM
I've been wanting to get both my cats microchipped. I think maybe once I move and get a little extra money I'm going to take them in. I refuse to put collars on my cats because of what happened to Zasper and I know the humane society here scans for microchips so I think it would be a good idea if I did it.

PayItForward
06-17-2003, 04:45 PM
Yes. I really think microchips are a great idea, especially in England with our Inside/Outside cats.

Milly & George were done by the RSCPA before we adopted them.
Treacle & Milo have been done by the RSPCA after they were adopted from 'The Cat Shelter'.

Bramble has a vet appointment Friday and if the vet thinks she is old enough, she'll be chipped then.

Nomilynn
06-17-2003, 04:58 PM
I voted no, because I'm not really "in the process," but it is something I would like to do. I take my cats across the border a lot, and if god forbid one was to escape from my car, I would feel a lot better knowing that the microchip was in place. Right now, though, I don't have the money.

K & L
06-17-2003, 05:08 PM
What's held me back is if they don't have the microchip equipment to check your pet out, the chip is worthless in the pet!

PayItForward
06-17-2003, 05:21 PM
In England all offical shelters & vets have the scanners.

It is getting more & more common to have your pet chipped as well as/instead of a collar that can be lost or removed.

RedHedd
06-17-2003, 05:34 PM
Yes, both of mine have been microchipped. It was part of the adoption "contract" I signed when I got them. At first I was hesitant to do it, but I don't like putting collars on my kitties so decided to have it done. Also being in the legal profession I wanted to live up to my end of the contract. They are both indoor cats, but living in earthquake country, anything can happen and if we ever get separated for whatever reason, I want to be able to be reunited with them.

ChrisH
06-17-2003, 05:39 PM
Even though Ebby is an indoor cat (and I hope to keep her that way) I plan to have her microchipped when I take her to the vet for her check up and boosters in August. It seems to me to be the best way to have ID on a cat, especially when, like Ebby, they will not wear a collar.

All Creatures Great And Small
06-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Dudley is microchipped, and came to us that way. I believe it was part of the adoption agreement at the shelter he came from, or my mother-in-law just decided it would be a good idea. He also wears a collar with a tag on it, in case the average Joe in the neighborhood finds him and can call us, rather than having to take him somewhere where they have a microchip reader.

Little Sammy will be microchipped at the same time as his neutering, and he will also have a collar with a tag. We use the breakaway safety collars for both. They are strictly indoor kitties, but are always hovering around the doors looking to make a break for it ;) :D . I would be devastated if I lost either one of them, so I opt for the extra security of the microchips.

Uabassoon
06-17-2003, 06:33 PM
Corkscrew is a door darter which is why I want to get him microchipped when I move. At least in the house I'm in now if he gets out he ends up in the patio and hasn't ever figured out that there is a small flap open to get in and out from. So it's easy to just chase him around the patio and then bring him inside. I would love to collar him, but even with breakaway collars I'm still scared to collar another cat. Because I learned the hard way that they don't always work. I've also thought about getting an ear tag or a tattoo so that way a stranger will know that he does belong to someone but I worry about how much it would hurt. However I have ear tagged and tattooed farm animals, and it wasn't too bad.

catlady1945
06-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Two are. One came with microchip from the Humane Society. We microchipped another one because she loves to roam. The other two are not. They don't like the outdoors.

jenluckenbach
06-17-2003, 07:31 PM
One cat is chipped. She came from the shelter that way.

Russian Blue
06-17-2003, 08:18 PM
I had Nakita microchipped because we often go to the cottage and I take her for daily walks. I wanted to have all my avenues covered just in case she somehow got away!

;)

tomkatzid
06-18-2003, 12:09 PM
Ashlee and Nina are, Kelcee is not. Since she is older, I thought it might hurt too much. But I guess age should not be a reason not too. If we were robbed and they left the door open and she got out and lost her tags, how would anyone know where she lived. Guess I will get it when she goes in for her check up in a couple wk ends.

emily_the_spoiled
06-18-2003, 12:42 PM
Both Emily and Tanner are micro-chipped. I figured that if I ever move and they were to get out this would increase the probability that I would get them back. Besides Emiliy won't wear a collar, so I had no other way to identify her and I had thought of moving to England at one point (where it is mandatory to chip your cats).

Sometimes the local SPCA'a will provide low cost chipping as a special at their adoption days and this is one way to get your pets done.

Although there are two brands of chips on the market, the scanner technology will read both without difficulty (which is changed from a few years ago). Most American shelters (at least in the biger centers) now automatically scan when animals are brought in.

wolfsoul
06-18-2003, 01:35 PM
When i move out, I'll be microchipping Sara, and my future doggies :D Right now, my mother thinks that it's a waste of money. I completely disagree. It's only twenty dollars here, and worth every penny!

lotsocats
06-18-2003, 04:43 PM
I never thought about microchipping my indoor cats until about a month ago when a series of tornadoes swept through the area. I thought about what would happen if my house was hit or damaged and the cats got out. Since then, I've decided at the next vet visit they will all get the chips.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-18-2003, 05:41 PM
T & P are not microchipped because when they were young, there was no such thing. And now neither one is a door darter so I figured it wasn't really necessary. But lotsocats, you bring up a good point. I'll have to re-think. :)

When I took Eduardo to the vet I had them check for a chip. The tenants said they had asked around and nobody claimed him, but I wanted to make sure he wasn't someone's pet before I put all this effort into him. He wasn't chipped, and I thought about having him chipped for the future owner, but decided to wait and see how it went with finding him a home.

If I were going to keep him, I would definitely get him chipped - and any future kitty that comes into our home will be chipped for sure - especially since they will be coming in the motorhome with us all over the country. :)

Miss Meow
06-18-2003, 05:45 PM
Ours are microchipped and tattooed. After seeing the size of the needle and microchip (size of a grain of rice, my butt :eek: ), I nearly backed out as I was about to faint - Shane had to hold the cats! But it's an extra peace of mind in case something happens.