PDA

View Full Version : HORSES

Desert Arabian
06-17-2003, 01:40 PM
This thread is for exprienced and not so (but getting there) experienced horse people.

Talk about what ever you please, like breeds, coloring, illnesses, riding, etc. Or post questions that you may have.

I noticed lately that a lot of people are starting to like horses, so I thought I'd make a thread where we could talk about them.

Let's see how it goes! Let's have fun!

:)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hmm, what can I talk about!? Oh, here is a question for you: What makes you attracted to horses? If you ride, why did you decide to ride?

Here is my answer:
The main thing that attacts me to horses is the way they form/shape bonds with humans/their owners. When I am around a horse, I feel as if I am in another world, I don't have to worry about the stress of everyday life. They also feel like a friend to me, and I always catch myself talking and telling stories to the horse I am with. Also the fact that you are working with/riding a 1,000 pound + animal is also a neat feeling/attraction.

Well, in my case, when it comes to riding, there is a lot of explaining. I loved horses since I was around 2 years old, when my mom showed me one at the State Fair. I loved to play with model horses when I was little, draw horses, and read about horses. I always wanted to ride one. When I was 6 years old, my grandparents signed me up for English lessons for my birthday present. I went every Saturday, and had a blast. Since then, my love for horses and riding has grown a lot since then, and now I ride Western & bareback instead of English. I'm never going to quit...not until I die.

apcrs5122
06-17-2003, 02:21 PM
I ride horses western style. I started barrel racing a little over a year ago. I love horses, and when I ride I feel like I'm in another world. I love to run; fast. That's one reason I picked barrel racing;you get to run your fastest, and it's fun competing against people. Horses make me feel good. I think it's amazing how much a horse knows and how they can sense what your feeling through the reing, your legs and even your thoughts. They make wonderful friends/companions. The feeling I get when I'm around them is too strong for words.

shellonabeach
06-17-2003, 04:17 PM
"What makes you attracted to horses? If you ride, why did you decide to ride?"

I started having riding lessons when I was 8. All I can remember is the smell of the horses and the tack. I was rather spoilt and had my own pony by 9 so I was hooked. By 10 I was enjoying hacks with friends on ponies, I can remember hacking to the shop and buying ice-cream and eating them whilst riding back, I also remember the sun on my body as we would gallop about.

At about 12/13 I started jumping other people's horses I would actually ride new horses that came onto the yard. I lived to jump and would jump any horse over pretty much anything - I loved the feeling of jumping the fear and exhileration as I rode at a fence, I loved the feeling of jumping with no reins arms spread out (like flying) and I also enjoyed jumping combinations (doubles/trebles/in and outs). This love for jumping continued after I got Ross my current horse at 14 although he was a bit calmer than the horses I was used to and calmed me down and looked after me.

I lost me confidence at 15, I think I just started to think when I was galloping on hacks "what if" he shied or put a foot into a hole etc. I also had a few falls jumping. After this loss in confidence we had another blow when Ross fell on top of me in a cross country accident. At 17 I went through a breakdown and I would skip school and spend all day with Ross - we would hack for hours just the two of us. As has been said when I am on him I forget everything, physical aches pains also seem to go when I am riding.

To be honest now, after almost 3 years of very little riding, if it wasn't for Ross I would have given up on horses. He is a big part of my family (I have had him 7 years now) and will never be sold. I am moving him to live near me (he is 150 miles away with my parents) and perhaps my love for riding will return as part of my love for Ross. For now being with him and enjoying time together on the ground is still wonderful and we enjoy the occasional hack.

cali
06-17-2003, 04:26 PM
I dont get to ride much, there is no possable way I can afford it, once every summer I get to go for a 4 mile trail ride, for $12, buts that the only time I get to ride, I did take a half hour sample lesson once, it was the first time I had ridden, the instructer said I was a natural, I also rode a stubbern horse named moose once,at my great aunts stable, I was the first to ride him after he had a break for a while so he was really stubbern. but basicly I have only ridden 4 times:( I wish sooooooooo bad that I could ride more, that is why when I move to a farm in a few years I want a horse, I love them, they are so pretty:) although I think I would want to get an icelandic horse from newfoundland, they have a MUCH smoother gait! :D I only wish we did not have money problems:(

bluekat
06-17-2003, 04:37 PM
(Thanks for sending me the PM about this thread:) )

I love horses, I don't know what makes me so attracted to them, I just love them. I think they're very beautiful, and I love watching them run. I really, have never rode on a horse before. Well, a couple of times on little horses, ponies, and donkeys, but never a full grown horse. I would love to take riding lessons. I really want to have my own horse:D I love black horses and white horses. My dad's friend at work has two horses, and he always rides them around. It must be so fun. I wish we live on a farm, because if we did, I think we could have a horse. But horses are also very expensive.

Desert Arabian
06-18-2003, 12:28 AM
I've barrel raced a couple of times. I barrel raced on Quarter Horses and a Tennessee Walker. The Walker did better than the Quarter. lol. I am probably gunna do it some more this summer, along with some swimming! :) :D

(Thanks for sending me the PM about this thread )
No problem! :)

Vermontcat
06-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Hey YLL, I found a photo of two of your favorite things.:D
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0167261/lotr2_2-47587.jpg

I love horses too. Who is it that said that famous quote "The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man"(or woman)?
That explains how for me just being around horses and their natural beauty makes me feel good inside.:)

Desert Arabian
06-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Why thank you for that picture, but I already have it saved in my computer (along with 100 others):D :D :D :D :D

Tina
06-20-2003, 01:41 PM
What makes you attracted to horses? If you ride, why did you decide to ride?

What attracts me to a horse is really hard to explain. I've been attracted to them since I was a little girl. I've always loved to watch them running around in a field or just watching them out in the field eating. I've been around horses alot. My great-uncle he use to have horses all the time when I was younger. I'd love to go and ride. Heck sometimes I'd just go in the field and spend time with them. My cousin that lived with him would always get me to ride with him during the summer. I loved every second of it. He had some beautiful horses! I remember on horse he had there named "Spunky" she was a sorrel quarter horse/walker cross I believe. Gosh I loved that horse! She was so gentle and friendly. Sadly one day some people came and were going to buy her. I could had that horse if my mom and dad had the land to keep her on. I hated after she was gone I was lonely. He only had one horse after her that was young and not broke yet. I didn't go back anymore for along time after she was sold. My dad always promised he get me a horse but it never happened of course now I understand why. We had the land later on when I was in highschool for a horse. Its just they couldn't afford to keep one I guess.

A year after Rob and I were married Rob asked me if I'd like to have a horse. I said sure why,not I've always wanted one! Well we went and looked at horses Babe was the second horse we looked at. We decided to buy here. She was 17 year and 1/2 years old almost 18 years old when I got her. I loved her so much. I learned to ride both english and western. She was a great horse to ride. Unforunetly we couldn't afford to keep her any longer. So we had to sell her a year and half later. It don't seem like a long time. But to me it seemed like I owned her forever. I cried and cried after she was gone.

Hopefully after we get settled into a new home in a few years. And if we can afford it I hope to have another horse or two. I miss being around horses.

cocker_luva
06-20-2003, 03:30 PM
i was reading with my dad last night and he asked me if horses could change color. i told him 'yes some breeds can, like the lipizzaner (born black and whitens with age).' Then he asked me if thoroughbreds could. he showed me a pic of a race horse in his Sports Illustrated that was born grey and ended up chestnut. i said that he must have misread or got confused on which horse they meant in the pic (there were about 4 in the pic).

did he misunderstand? or can thoroughbreds change color?

also this horse looked like a yearling in the pic, so it couldn't have been 'baby fur'. :confused:

Desert Arabian
06-20-2003, 03:37 PM
Hmm...I think it was loosing it's baby fur and growing in its final adult fur.

Buck was a real light cremello colored paint, and he turned into a dark brown paint when he was around a year old or so. So, I think that is what happed to the TB yearling.

iceyshiver21
06-20-2003, 09:47 PM
I have a morgan/Quarter Horse named Soni De who is and absolute sweetheart. He now shows no signs of the abuse he endured. He rides but is only green broke. I am using the Anderson approuch to creating and keeping the perfect bond with my horse that goes far beyond petting, riding and grooming. It starts with the instincs of the horse. He responds to it very well.

CamCamPup33
06-21-2003, 04:19 PM
What makes you attracted to horses? If you ride, why did you decide to ride?

What makes me attracted to horses...... well i love horses so much! i cant wait to move! then i get my own horses.. I guess what attracts me most is the connection i have with them.. I have been going to saturday horse camp for quite a while now ever since i was about 10. i rode and rode and rode.. Always talking to the horses when i rode.. For some reason i like to tell the horses what i did wrong and how i need to improve it. Horses are just beautiful and bold and ughh i cant express how i feel! lol.. They are beautiful creatures and i luv um! I decided to ride because i fell in love with them. then i got into the luv of horses :p