PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have a Favorite?

Genia
05-12-2001, 11:54 AM
I know we all love our furbabies. But, for multiple pet owners, do you have a favorite? As parents we don't want to admit to having a favorite baby but for me, I have to admit Jeffrey is my favorite. I show the same love to Jeffrey and Bandit, but Jeff has a special place in my heart. Part of it is because of the evidence I have of prior abuse. His previous family told me they left him in the laundry room all day. "Mom" was in school all day and "Dad" worked nights and slept during the day. He lost a toe, I don't know how, but the vet said it was ripped off. Then there's the fact that most people we meet always compliment Bandit because he is a pure breed. Jeffrey is practically ignored except for the question of what kind of dog is he? My friends who have gotten to know Jeffrey love him. Bandit is a sweetie and I would never treat them differently but I guess I'm a sucker for the "under-dog"!

Dixie Belle
05-12-2001, 01:21 PM
Out of our gang, it is pretty hard to have a favorite because they are each so different. My husbands favorite is Blue Boy. I guess Mama Dog would have to be mine. But all of our furbabies get the same treatment.

Logan
05-12-2001, 01:36 PM
I have to admit, if I do have a favorite....no one will ever know!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

I love them all, in different ways!!!

Logan

RachelJ
05-12-2001, 02:11 PM
My previous dog Bailey was my "dog of a lifetime". She was smart (knew dozens of tricks), cooperative, and could read my mind. I never had before nor since a dog that would follow my verbal instructions in the manner she did. She was my partner and we were a team. But there are attributes that my others dogs have that she didn't. She was not one to play with toys or retrieve a ball...all that was quite beneath her, and if you were upset, you would just have to console yourself, because she wanted no part of a pity party. Her daughter, Tizzie, was nothing like her, but a sweet, gentle soul who wanted nothing more than to be by my side. Hannah has taught me about life and how to live it, about myself and what's important, and Tucker has brought me love and affection and being needed. Which is my favorite? That is like asking whether I would rather have food or water or air to breathe.

Sudilar
05-12-2001, 03:42 PM
Your last line says it all, Rachel!! Perfect!

05-12-2001, 03:43 PM
This is one of those things you think about but try not to admit. I always feel guilty. My 3 girls are all very different. Maddie is the new one and is hyper and funny and very mischievious. I found her and adopted her from the shelter we took her to 4 days later. So, there is a very special place in my heart for her. Sasha we got from a friend who couldn't keep her anymore. She is very timid unless we are playing and is just so incredibly sweet. She is like the fragile baby of the family...even though she is older. Lexi I have had since before I was married. I got her as an 8 week old puppy. So, if I had to pick a fav it would be her because she was my first dog (that I owned all by myself). She is four now (almost 5) and seems to know when I am sad and is so smart! But, they all get the same love and attention. I couldn't have it any other way http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif!

"doggiemom"
(angel)

Pam
05-12-2001, 05:16 PM
Rachel, I agree that your last line was absolutely perfect!! Each of my pets has been so special in their own way. I have had 5 poodles (4 are at the Bridge) and 2 cats. I could never tell you which was my favorite. They were/are all so very different and special in their own individual ways. Peaches (toy poodle) was probably the smartest of the bunch and was my first poodle. She probably knew I needed her emotionally as much as she needed me for her day to day needs. Pumpkin (toy poodle)was a wonderfully loving little guy whose greatest joy was to be by my side. Ashley (miniature poodle) Beautiful and headstrong but my devoted, loyal and constant companion. Whitney (standard poodle) Probably most human-like in her qualities but with none of a human's faults whose main desire in life was to please her humans. Trevor (first cat who opened me up to the world of cats and their beauty and wonderful gentle ways). Andy (who just loves to love and brightens each day with his sweetness). Bella (precious little puppy who is teaching me everyday to see all things new).

jackiesdaisy1935
05-12-2001, 05:37 PM
My favorites are all the pups here on PetoftheDay that I have grown to know by seeing their photos, listening to their stories, some happy, some sad, getting to know their guardians, and knowing that they all have wonderful families and are truly loved by all. Of course Perry and Daisy would be up on the top of the list too.

AdoreMyDogs
05-12-2001, 09:59 PM
As much as I love both of my dogs, there's no question that Graham is my favorite of the two...no offense, Cassie my friend. They are both absolutely delightful in their own way, but Graham and me have a true spiritual bond that I have never shared with another dog before. He understands me and we connect, often without even words or hand signals. One example of how amazing he is...I am fixing up and cleaning up my mother-in-law's house in order to sell. I was painting the living room and Graham came into the living room and layed close to a wet paint wall. I was just getting off a ladder and was just about to point to the kitchen, and without even telling him to go into the kitchen he got up and walked there. I then layed a rag on the floor between the living room and kitchen and told Graham not to cross the rag...and after working in the living room for about 3 hours he never once asked to cross that rag. He's amazing. I never taught him that. Cassie is the perfect little companion. She's amazingly loving, considering what a crummy life she had for her first 7 years. She's absolutely the most adorable little thing ever, she's a little doll. I love Cassie so much but she does not have that same spiritual connection that Graham and I have.

Angels3
05-12-2001, 10:59 PM
We have 3 dogs & 3 cats. When one of them is alone with me, I tell that pet that he or she is my favourite pet. Then I tell that 'favourite' to keep this fact a big secret...because we wouldn't want to make the others jealous, would we.
So each of our 6 pets thinks that he or she is my favourite...& I DO think so, too!

RachelJ
05-13-2001, 09:44 AM
Leslie,

I loved your account of Graham knowing what you want without even asking. That was the way my Bailey was. Bailey had one litter of pups before she was spayed. There were seven pups and although she was a devoted mother, I could tell that this caring for pups stuff was not her calling. She was very grateful when they could eat on their own and she didn't have to be with them, although whenever they saw her, they still wanted to nurse. We had a pen set up in the kitchen where we kept the pups. As you can imagine, I had to keep changing the paper in the pen frequently. One day Bailey and I were outside the pen and I opened it up to go in and pups spilled out in every direction. She and I looked at one another with that "Oh, my Gawd" expression. She then immediately took to rounding them up and helping me get them back in the pen. I think she wanted them back in the pen as much as I did and just knew what to do to accomplish the task.

Sorry to digress off the subject, but I just had to share this story with Leslie.

ilovehounds
05-15-2001, 08:17 PM
I love all my animals very, very much. But I have to admit that between my two dogs, Hannah and Copper, Hannah is my favorite. The reasons are because I have had Hannah since she was a puppy, she was my first dog and my only dog for two years. We have the history and memories of puppy hood and training and all the fun things, we sleep together ever night all snuggled up under the covers, we are best friends. I just got Copper a year ago he was three when I got him, he is terrified of being in the house he runs around scared and pees on the floor so he is an outside dog( very happy to be http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif ) and I don't get to spend as much time with him. Don't get me wrong I love him very much and wouldn't trade him for the world. I treat them the same I don't favor Hannnah over Copper, when they are together they are treated equal and they get equal my love.

ownerof3dogs
05-16-2001, 01:25 PM
I hate to have to admit this but Hercules is my favorit. He has such humane qualities and seems to under stand evrything about me. He also is the most affectionet and seeks attention. But I love them all in diferent ways for different characteristics