PDA

View Full Version : Bad Breath

gkristian
06-17-2003, 05:42 AM
Foxy breath stinks and i really don't know what to do. If anyone has any sugestions please post them.

binka_nugget
06-17-2003, 08:50 AM
How often do you brush foxy's teeth? Try brushing more often if you can. Also, I found this site with dog recipes. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/1011/dog.htm#badbreath :)

I Love Brian, Forever <3
06-17-2003, 08:54 AM
Greenieeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss! :) :D

RubyMutt
06-17-2003, 08:55 AM
There are a lot of vitamens, treats, and what not available to help dogs keep their teeth clean and breath fresh! I've seen them in most pet stores, but Drs. Foster & Smith also has a pretty good selection. Here's a link to their breah freshener products: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/sc_view.cfm?siteid=12&pCatId=9494

GoldenRetrLuver
06-17-2003, 08:55 AM
Greenies work great. Dogs looove them! Also, like binka_nugget said, try brushing your dogs teeth more.:)

Sudilar
06-17-2003, 11:54 AM
If your dog's breath is really bad, I would take him to the vet and have his teeth looked at. He might have an infection or bad tooth. Killian has lost more than 8 (I lost count) teeth because of his health problems. Another cause of bad breath could be something more serious as liver disease (ammonia toxicity). A little trip to the vet might help. Good luck.

lovemyshiba
06-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Greenies are great!! My dogs absolutely looooove them!!! I brush their teeth regularly too.

If it is really bad, definitely have the vet check it out. My mother in law's pom, Casey had horrible breath for a while, and when he went in to be neutered, they checked out his teeth, and found a piece of newspaper stuck way up under one of his teeth, and that was causing the awful smell. When he was boarded, they keep newspaper in the kennel, and they think that's what it was from.

AngelZoo
06-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Check his teeth, see if you see any cavities or bad cases of plauque/bleeding etc.
If so take him to the vet, and see what they say.
Otherwise, try brushing his teeth every day, or just give him a GREENIE!! :)

ChloeLove
06-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Make sure you brush his teeth...Chloe had to have an operation with anastheisa (sp?) (Got 10 teeth knocked out) and it was really traumatic for her, so it's not worth it. Brush brush brush! :)

We also give her these dog 'treat' things that really help a lot with her breath. They're called 'Breath Treat'. Original, huh? Well, anyway, they come from Four Paws. It really helps to eliminate bad breath and helps tartar control. Even if your dog doesn't like treats you can crush them up in his food. Just visit fourpaws.com, and they have their products there, but I can't seem to find it there. Oh, it comes 60 in a small size and 120 i think in the bigger one.

ChloeLove
06-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Oh yeah, our vet reccomends that you use a finger brush to brush their teeth. It's easier on their gums and works really well. Call your vet and ask about toothpaste, they usually have it. They also have dog mouthwash that kills germs and helps breath.
In Stop & Shop, I know they sell dog toothpaste and toothbrush (the toothbrush stinks, it's really hard and hardly works. And the toothpaste isn't really that great either.)

Cookiebaker
06-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Yip Yaps!! I swear by them. They come in a little blue tin, and are bone shaped breath mints. Malone gets one every day, and when he doesn't....WATCH OUT! Ai-yi-yuk!

gkristian
06-18-2003, 03:26 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try brushing his teeth more and some of the recipes from the site that binka_nugget said.

RubyMutt
06-18-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
Yip Yaps!! I swear by them. They come in a little blue tin, and are bone shaped breath mints. Malone gets one every day, and when he doesn't....WATCH OUT! Ai-yi-yuk!

Ruby LOVES those things! :D

*LabLoverKEB*
06-19-2003, 11:55 AM
We have Greenies, but I don't know how often to give her one? How often do you guys give your pups Greenies? Thanks!:) ;)

Oh, by the way, next time I'm at Petco, I'm going to have to get Yip Yaps! Lol!:)

wolfsoul
06-19-2003, 01:02 PM
If it's that bad, I'd take him to the vet. Bad breath is a sign of organ infections.

Leather gets mint flavoured treats, and both her and timber get their teeth brushed on a regular basis.