PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Cat?

PetLuvr4Ever
06-16-2003, 10:23 PM
I think that my cat, KC, is pregnant. I have no clue as to when she got pregnant so I have no clue when to expect kittens(if she is preg.). Does anyone know how to tell if she is going to have kittens? Also, is there a way to tell when she's getting really close to having them? It's been a few weeks or so since I've notice her attitude change and she seems to be a bit bigger. Right now, she is way the heck more lovable. She always comes up to me to be petted and rubbed now. She used to be some what skittish but is the sweetest thing now. Any advice would be great. :)

kimlovescats
06-16-2003, 10:34 PM
The most obvious changes in a pregnant female are an increase in appetite.... hungry all the time. Also, their nipples will get pinker and start to protrude through their fur. If she is pregnant ... the normal gestation period for cats is 63 days. If your kitty is not pregnant .... I would get her spayed, as it is much better for her health, and would prevent any more homeless kittens! ;)

PetLuvr4Ever
06-16-2003, 10:38 PM
ok, thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on her. Well, We were going to get her spayed until she snuck out and started acting funny and looking a bit fatter. Once we know for sure if she's pregnant or not then we'll deff. get her spayed!

L. Wayne
06-17-2003, 07:29 AM
A pregnant cat will usually begin to seek out a place to give birth to her brood. This is one way to tell. Also, like Kim said, she will be eating much of the time, and her tummy will begin to get larger as the 63-day gestation time nears. After she has weaned her kittens in about 3 months, be sure to take her to the vets' and have her spayed.

Fox-Gal
06-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by PetLuvr4Ever
I've notice her attitude change and she seems to be a bit bigger. Right now, she is way the heck more lovable. She always comes up to me to be petted and rubbed now. She used to be some what skittish but is the sweetest thing now. Any advice would be great. :)

The change in her attiude alone tell me she most likely pregnant. I had cats 40 some years and in almost every cat thats been pregnant their attitude changed, More loving some time even to the point that I just wanted them to leave me alone.

In time you will notice her looking into dark places, that maybe she never gone before, closet, under the bed, etc etc. Thats when you'll know it's getting close to delivery. Once you start notice that, if you have a spot you might want the kittens to be born start working on it. Get old towels, what ever and make her a nice safe spot, out of the way and dark and show it to her, over and over if you have to. Hopefully she will like you spot better then what she picked out. Remember where she has them, most likely is where they will stay for a few weeks, and then later she might move them on you.

Good luck to you and her and don't worry cats know what they are doing she will be fine.