PDA

View Full Version : Electric toothbrush versus standard tooth brush

carole
06-16-2003, 08:22 PM
I know this is an unusal subject, but as americans have had electric toothbrushes for years, and we have not, i wondered if how many of you have them, and if they are better or not as good.

Freckles
06-16-2003, 08:34 PM
I believe electric TB is easier on the gums. Since I switched to Sonicare, my hygienist just says "keep doing what you're doing".

wolfsoul
06-16-2003, 08:36 PM
I have an electric toothbrush :) It works alot better than my old standard tooth brushes.

The only cons I can think of are the annoying noise, and having to get new batteries..

carole
06-16-2003, 08:41 PM
The reason i started this poll , is i have just switched to an electric toothbrush, i noticed some plague build up on one lower tooth, and i notice its diminished somewhat since using the new brush.
However my dentist told me i did not need one, as i have very little plague build up, (maybe this is changing now) he also told me i brush my teeth perfectly, he said many people over-brush and damage the enamel, i wonder if this is true with the electric ones, geez they feel funny until u get used to them.

carole
06-16-2003, 08:43 PM
BTW i use rechargeable batteries, keeps the cost down somewhat.:D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
06-16-2003, 09:01 PM
I have an electric, and have used an electric for a long time so I can't really compare the two, but electric is very good.

Vio&Juni
06-17-2003, 05:17 AM
I started using an electric one since March. I think it's much better. My sister also had some plague, and after the first brush, we noticed that it disappeared.

micki76
06-17-2003, 10:20 AM
I use a Sonicare. Best electric one I've ever used. My teeth are very clean and I spend about 1/3 of the time with the hygienist now.

Edwina's Secretary
06-17-2003, 10:50 AM
You are less likely to damage the enamel or your gums with electric. If you have a timer on it you are more likely to brush for the recommended two minutes. My dentist recommends them highly!

shais_mom
06-22-2003, 01:43 AM
I have the crest spin brush pro and I love it!

tomkatzid
06-22-2003, 02:02 AM
The Dentist told me not to use elec. because I have had gum grafts and it would be too hard on the tissue. But sounds like it might be better. Maybe I'd better ask another Dentist.

Cheshirekatt
06-22-2003, 02:06 AM
I've also had two gum grafts and my periodontist just told me to wait 2 months before I started using the electric again. I love my Sonicare. It defintaly cuts down on the scaling. And I have braces so that's important. :D

Rachel
06-22-2003, 10:00 AM
I would love to use the electric toothbrush, but I hate the idea of having to have it sit out on the counter, plugged in all the time and recharging, which is what the one I used to have needed.

As far as being too rough on your gums, you can do that with a regular toothbrush....as well. I have a tendency to *scrub* instead of brush. I also heard that with a Sonicare you had to use specific kinds of toothpaste or else something would happen to the plastic handle. Anybody heard of this?

Freckles
06-22-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
I heard that with a Sonicare you had to use specific kinds of toothpaste or else something would happen to the plastic handle. Anybody heard of this?
Nope

Cheshirekatt
06-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Me either.

ScantyNebula
06-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
I have the crest spin brush pro and I love it!

Me too! I bought one a few weeks ago and it is great , a big improvement from a regular toothbrush. :D I find a good thing about it as well is you don't have to spend as much time brushing as you would with a regular brush, not to mention it feels like I just came out of the dentists office after I brush with it! heh

ScantyNebula
06-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
I would love to use the electric toothbrush, but I hate the idea of having to have it sit out on the counter, plugged in all the time and recharging, which is what the one I used to have needed.

As far as being too rough on your gums, you can do that with a regular toothbrush....as well. I have a tendency to *scrub* instead of brush. I also heard that with a Sonicare you had to use specific kinds of toothpaste or else something would happen to the plastic handle. Anybody heard of this?

you should try the crest spin brush pro .. its only 10 dollars here in Canada, it comes with 2 AA batteries, so you don't have to plug it in or anything, you could just buy rechargeable batteries. I've had my brush for a few weeks now and the batteries are still fine .. they seem to last a long time.

carole
06-22-2003, 03:33 PM
First i would like to say i am finding the electric pretty darn good, my teeth just feel cleaner overall, now one more question , can anyone tell me how often you should change the brush head? thanks:D