PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Dog Food?

Christiansmommy
06-16-2003, 07:46 PM
Does anyone use Diamond Dog food? And if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks in advance.

Robyn

tatsxxx11
06-16-2003, 08:24 PM
The kennel I worked at used Diamond to feed their clients. I had never heard of it before I worked there, but have since heard it described as..."good." I believe there's a standard and a premium blend. Were you considering this for Mocha??:) I'm not sure they have a puppy blend. Tell us again...when is the BIG day??:D

Christiansmommy
06-16-2003, 08:38 PM
They do have a puppy (large breed blend), actually. Yes i am just researching types of foods. I have (as of tomorrow), 25 more days to wait until we pick her up!!! I CANT WAIT!!!! My sister in law is getting married in 2 weeks, and then a week later, we are having a fouth of July party and then one week from that is the big day!!! (So at least we have things that will occupy us each week, while we wait in the meantime!!) :)

Anyway, thanks for the input!!

Robyn

PetLuvr4Ever
06-16-2003, 08:54 PM
We used Diamond puppy food for our Bulldog puppies. Actually, Do you have a Costco where you live? They have the EXACT same thing, it's just a diff. name for the costco store. It also cost a lot less for a bigger bag. It's called Nutra Nuggets and they have a 40 lb bag for dogs and one for puppys. We actually feed both our puppies and our dogs it. It's supposed to be a good dog food and so far we haven't had any problems. We just started using it about a month or so ago. :)

PetLuvr4Ever
06-16-2003, 08:56 PM
BTW, it's from the exact same makers and is like, half price.

Christiansmommy
06-16-2003, 09:02 PM
Thanks. My husband says they have a Costco in Delaware, where he works, we live in NJ. Thanks for your input...i'll look into it. :)

Robyn

shais_mom
06-16-2003, 10:20 PM
Diamond is a good food, but if you can get the PREMIUM EDGE made by Diamond, it is just a little more, but well worth it.
A guy from work feeds his mastiff that and she is perfect condition and it has stuff in it to help prevent hip dysplasia and arthritis. Glucosamine I think.
And they have the puppy version too

Christiansmommy
06-16-2003, 10:39 PM
Thanks Shais mom, I actually think the breeder might use the premium edge stuff, the ingredients look good. He suggests 15% fat and 26% protein (for whatever brand we choose)...anyway, it seems like it has all good ingredients...so we may go with that....we ONLY have 25 more days to decide :rolleyes: !!!

PetLuvr4Ever
06-16-2003, 10:57 PM
I just looked at our bag and it says that there is 31% crude protien and 20% crude fat. Also, ours is a Super Premium, if it matters any. :)

micki76
06-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Depends on whether you want to feed regular dog food or human grade food. After doing some serious research earlier this year, I decided that I couldn't possibly feed my furkids regular dog food. If you really want a great food, try one of the human grade foods, preferably one that's not extruded, but baked instead. They don't have such scary stuff in them. I didn't know how scary until I did my research.

If you want me to, I can post some of the research links that I used when I get home tonight.

Oh, here's a good one:
http://www.api4animals.org/doc.asp?ID=79

Christiansmommy
06-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by micki76
Depends on whether you want to feed regular dog food or human grade food. After doing some serious research earlier this year, I decided that I couldn't possibly feed my furkids regular dog food. If you really want a great food, try one of the human grade foods, preferably one that's not extruded, but baked instead. They don't have such scary stuff in them. I didn't know how scary until I did my research.

If you want me to, I can post some of the research links that I used when I get home tonight.

Oh, here's a good one:

I skimmed some of it, very interesting!! What type of food do you use? The ingredients in this Diamond food seem pretty natural...from what i have read.

Thanks.

Robyn

AngelZoo
06-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Diamond is an ok dog food.

I personally would also go with something that has no by products, and no corn (diamond has corn). And fresh human grade foods. What breed of dog is this? 26% protien and more is quiet a bit much for your average adult dog, unless he's a show animal or into agility. Also look for foods that have been through the extrusion process as apposed to the rendering process. Those foods are not baked as long, and retain many of the natural vitamins and minerals, as apposed to putting in artifical ones after the cooking process.

I choose things like...
Artemis
Azmira
Canidae
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul
Evolve
Holistic Blend
Natural Balance
Natural Blend
Natures Variety
Pinnacle
Sensible Choice
Solid Gold
Timberwolf Organics
Wellness
Wysong

Christiansmommy
06-17-2003, 10:33 AM
It is a greater swiss mountain dog...and the breeder has show dogs that are into carting and weight pulling, so maybe that is why he mentioned 26% protein...or maybe i heard him wrong. ANyway, thanks for the list of foods...i do want to research some.

Robyn

micki76
06-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Excellent list AngelZoo. One correction, though. You want a baked food, not an extruded food. When they extrude the food, they have to spray it with rendered fat. Baked food does not have rendered fat sprayed on it. Baking help to retain the natural flavor. I know-my dogs eat Wellness Fish & Potato and They LOVE it. It's human grade, no rotten carcasses for my kids!

I have a ton of information at home. I'll post it here tonight. :)

Diamond seems ok, but the first ingred.(they are listed by how much there is of each ingred.) is beef meal. Better than corn, but it's just ground up bones with scraps of the flesh left on them. Sound good? Not to me. Maybe ok for other people, but I'm really picky with my dogs. Then rice. Bones and rice are the two main ingreds.

Cinder & Smoke
06-17-2003, 12:27 PM
We get Premium Edge, Lamb & Rice, Adult Formula krunchies.

It'z made by wunna the Diamond Companies,
all are related to Schell & Kampeter, Inc.

Premium Edge lists a phone number of 1-800-977-9797
and they will help you choose a food if ya call em up.

Webby site = Premium Edge Web Site (http://www.premiumedgepetfood.com)

Also - Sevens posted a link to the Purina web site on a Mr Binx post -
LOTTA good info on the Purina site!

Here's a link to their Nutrition Info pages...
Purina NUTRITION Info (http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp)

THANKS, Sevens!! :D

Logan
06-17-2003, 12:43 PM
Robyn, to my knowledge, there is "good" Diamond, and "not so good" Diamond food. In fact, Diamond manufactures the new dog food called Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (whatever the official name is), and it is supposed to be terrific. But their basic food is mostly corn, inexpensive, and probably no better than grocery store food.

One of my cyber friends has done a lot of food research. You might check out her website, www.greatgoldens.com to see the comparisons.

Lots of luck in the decision and with the new pup! :)

Logan

lovemyshiba
06-17-2003, 01:29 PM
wow--what a detailed description of the foods and ingredients!! I just loved that page, Logan. I have done a bit of research on dog foods, but didn't know what some of the terms meant, but there's a glossary on there and everything!!!

Christiansmommy
06-17-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Robyn, to my knowledge, there is "good" Diamond, and "not so good" Diamond food. In fact, Diamond manufactures the new dog food called Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (whatever the official name is), and it is supposed to be terrific. But their basic food is mostly corn, inexpensive, and probably no better than grocery store food.

One of my cyber friends has done a lot of food research. You might check out her website, www.greatgoldens.com to see the comparisons.

Lots of luck in the decision and with the new pup! :)

Logan

I think i am sold on the Chicken Soup for a Dog lovers soul...it seems to be so natural...and a few stores nearby me sell it. I know the Diamond Preimum Edge contained some sort of Glycosumin (sp?) for joints...which would be beneficial for Swissies...anyway, its looks great and the cost isnt that high...thanks for the website Logan!

Robyn

AngelZoo
06-17-2003, 02:05 PM
micki: You do not have to add all the fats and such to an extruded food, some companies choose not to, which is perferctly fine, and preferable to some people (such as myself) solid gold is a perfect example.
In comparion to extrusion vrs rendering, extrusion wins hands down, rendering is the cooking method that most companys (think of those found at popular pet stores and grocery stores) use.

Here's a quick little article for anyone whom is interested.

http://business.gorge.net/gorgevet/wysong.htm

Christians Mommy: The chicken Soup brand is one of my top 5 favorite foods, for dogs, cats and ferrets! I feed the cat formula here to my adult ferret in his mix, plus my cats love it as a treat. ;)

Here's another interesting website about companion animal food, it's basically in a online course format, very neat :)
http://www.speedyvet.com/Learningcentre/index1.htm

Christiansmommy
06-17-2003, 02:09 PM
Cinder and Smoke...thanks for the info on The Premium Edge...there is a store around here that could special order it for me...to ship from online would cost over $10...so it wouldnt be worth it to do it that way....thanks for the info!!

Cinder & Smoke
06-17-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Christiansmommy
... The Premium Edge...
there is a store around here that could special order it for me...

C's Mom ~

CALL em up ~ and ASK where the nearest Store that carries it is.
If they're not sure - ask them to have your Area's REP call you.

And don't be bashful about asking for Samples! :p
When we were trying to find a new KAT food for da Boots -
I mentioned not wanting to buy a big bag to "try".

Not to worry! said the Sales Manager... ;)
Two daze later the UPS guy dropped a CARTON of sample bags -
a Month's supply!! :)

micki76
06-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by AngelZoo
[B]micki: You do not have to add all the fats and such to an extruded food, some companies choose not to, which is perferctly fine, and preferable to some people (such as myself) solid gold is a perfect example.
In comparion to extrusion vrs rendering, extrusion wins hands down, rendering is the cooking method that most companys (think of those found at popular pet stores and grocery stores) use.

Here's a quick little article for anyone whom is interested.

http://business.gorge.net/gorgevet/wysong.htm

See, everything that I've read (and info from my vet) states that the extrusion method was far worse that baking. Here's a direct quote from one of the sites:
"Most dry food is made with a machine called an expander or extruder. First, raw materials are blended, sometimes by hand, other times by computer, in accordance with a recipe developed by animal nutritionists. This mixture is fed into an expander and steam or hot water is added. The mixture is subjected to steam, pressure, and high heat as it is extruded through dies that determine the shape of the final product and puffed like popcorn. The food is allowed to dry, and then is usually sprayed with fat, digests, or other compounds to make it more palatable. Although the cooking process may kill bacteria in pet food, the final product can lose its sterility during the subsequent drying, fat coating, and packaging process. A few foods are baked at high temperatures rather than extruded. This produces a dense, crunchy kibble that is palatable without the addition of sprayed on palatability enhancers. Animals can be fed about 25% less of a baked food, by volume (but not by weight), than an extruded food."

Also, this is what I've read about the rendered fat (not used on all extruded foods, but most):
"You may have noticed a unique, pungent odor when you open a new bag of pet food -- what is the source of that delightful smell? It is most often rendered animal fat, restaurant grease, or other oils too rancid or deemed inedible for humans.

Restaurant grease has become a major component of feed grade animal fat over the last fifteen years. This grease, often held in fifty-gallon drums, may be kept outside for weeks, exposed to extreme temperatures with no regard for its future use. "Fat blenders" or rendering companies then pick up this used grease and mix the different types of fat together, stabilize them with powerful antioxidants to retard further spoilage, and then sell the blended products to pet food companies and other end users.

These fats are sprayed directly onto extruded kibbles and pellets to make an otherwise bland or distasteful product palatable. The fat also acts as a binding agent to which manufacturers add other flavor enhancers such as digests. Pet food scientists have discovered that animals love the taste of these sprayed fats. Manufacturers are masters at getting a dog or a cat to eat something she would normally turn up her nose at."

Christiansmommy
06-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Micki76...how do you find out if the food is extruded or not...i guess the website might say so...i am looking into the chicken soup for a dog lovers soul...i think the site said it is slow cooked...thanks.

micki76
06-17-2003, 10:41 PM
Micki76...how do you find out if the food is extruded or not...i guess the website might say so...i am looking into the chicken soup for a dog lovers soul...i think the site said it is slow cooked...thanks.

Usually, it will say if it's baked. Otherwise I think it's probably extruded. I know the Wellness that we feed promotes that fact that it's baked. You can really tell from the texture and crunch of the kibble, also.

Sorry meant to add these links for you & forgot:

Here's a good one about the ingreds that are good, not so bad, and really bad:
http://www.iei.net/~ebreeden/kibble.html

shais_mom
06-17-2003, 11:48 PM
I think i am sold on the Chicken Soup for a Dog lovers soul...it seems to be so natural...and a few stores nearby me sell it. I know the Diamond Preimum Edge contained some sort of Glycosumin (sp?) for joints...which would be beneficial for Swissies...anyway, its looks great and the cost isnt that high...thanks for the website Logan!

Robyn

Robyn,
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28219

I am switching Keegan to this food, she loved it!

Logan
06-18-2003, 02:11 AM
One way I could tell a difference in extruded and baked is the shape of the food. Flint River Ranch is the only food I've ever given mine that I know was baked and it had odd shaped pieces. By the way, my dogs LOVED FRR, but got very fat when eating it! It was too rich for my couch potatoes! :o

Christiansmommy
06-18-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Logan
One way I could tell a difference in extruded and baked is the shape of the food. Flint River Ranch is the only food I've ever given mine that I know was baked and it had odd shaped pieces. By the way, my dogs LOVED FRR, but got very fat when eating it! It was too rich for my couch potatoes! :o

I have heard of FRR food and had it book marked as one of my favorites...so i just checked out the website again. The ingredients are very similiar to the Chicken Soup for a Dog Lovers Soul...here is a look at the CSFADLS ingredients:

Fresh, Pure, Wholesome Ingredients

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, oatmeal, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), duck, salmon, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, chicory root extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

As far as this being extruded, i am not sure...the website says it is slow cooked...which to me, may sound like baking...anyway, i think it sounds great and i really appreciate your friend for doing such a great job on that website! I think i may switch my cats over to this brand too!

Pam
06-18-2003, 07:08 AM
Gosh Robyn! Those ingredients sound better than some of the meals I serve at dinner for the humans! LOL :D :D