PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

trinity
06-16-2003, 06:36 AM
Well tonite is the night. Oatmeal, the stray that adopted us, goes to the White Coats to be checked over so he can become part of the gang. My question for all of you is this: what would you do if the feline leukemia test comes back positive? I can't take him in in that case as it is so contagious. At the same time, the thought of sending him to the RB at this point upsets me more than I can say. (I cried for an hour yesterday just at the thought...) I'm trying my best to think positive. I did one of those typically silly "mom" statements yesterday in the midst of crying...."You'd better be healthy or I'll hurt you!" I never claimed to make sense when I'm upset.....:rolleyes: I suggested to my husband we could just bring him home and let him go back to being a semi-stray but is that fair? If he is positive, that could mean a painful future for him. Plus our guys wouldn't be able to go outside with us at all or have the windows open since I'm told it is transferable if they hiss back and forth....well keep fingers crossed

ScantyNebula
06-16-2003, 06:51 AM
I went through the same thing when we got Toby .. we were freaking out waiting for the results to see if he had FIV .. luckily he never, lets cross our paws that the same thing happens for you! If it is positive :( I'd say try and find him an owner who wants a single cat only ..

PayItForward
06-16-2003, 06:59 AM
As we had a similar situation recently, I understand how you feel.

You get so attached so quickly :(

We had two different results Positive with sweet Caramal & Negative with young Bramble.

We had Caramel PTS as he had Aids & mouth problems (very likely cancer). We wouldn't have released him again but if he JUST had the Aids problem only, we would have taken him to the Cat Shelter.

People adopt cats with Aids or Leuk. as long as they stay inside and have no contact with healthy cats, they can lead happy lives.

Here is my advice to you.

First don't panic, just wait for the results. Our vets does it while you wait (one hour wait for results)

If he is negative.. Great. Enjoy your new cat.

If he is positive... Don't release him, he'll infect other outside cats and add to the local feral problem. Ring around the cat shelters and ask if anyone would be willing to rehome him.

If you can't find a shelter to take care of him, you have two hard options, risk housing Oatmeal in your spare room and try to rehome him locally or have him PTS.

The chances are that Oatmeal will have negative results, as he was once a family pet. He should have had all his shots while he was a pet. The most recent thought is that vacaines can last for years, so hopefully he'll still be covered.

Thinking of you both. :D

PS. Keep us posted asap

jenluckenbach
06-16-2003, 10:06 AM
Pay it forward said it best.
try not to get too upset at the unknown, but it is good to have a plan.
Most importantly, do not let him roam if he is positive. We (humans) must try to contol this disease, as he could infect the next cat that comes looking for a safe home.
Try all shelters and rescue groups to see if they have or know of someone who has a leukemia positive colony. That is what friends of mine did when they happened across a positive kitty.
And if you do decide to PTS, try to remember that you do it with love.

BEST of luck at the vet's

PayItForward
06-17-2003, 08:28 AM
Have I missed an update ?

How did Oatmeal do at the whitecoats ?

Hopeing everything went well.

PayItForward
06-17-2003, 03:10 PM
*Bump*