PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Newborn Kitty Abandoned

micki76
06-15-2003, 06:05 PM
I posted this in cat health also. I just have no idea what to do!

I need help asap. We found a newborn (1-2 days old) kitty this morning and the mother (feral) has never came back to get it. She moved the other two. I bought the kitten milk replacement at Petco and have fed the kitty one time. Also made it potty. What do I do with it???? Keep it on a heating pad? How will I know if it's too hot? Kitten ate pretty well, I guess. I don't know how much it should take. Trying to find a wet nurse mother cat. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Cataholic
06-15-2003, 06:08 PM
OHHH>....way more feedings every 2-3 hours....use the washcloth to keep the bum area stimulated for poop/pee. After every meal. I think you should call a vet and locate a fostermom....the kitty needs heat.....ohh....quick someone else post!

aly
06-15-2003, 06:09 PM
KEep the heating pad on a low setting and be sure the kitten can crawl off if he wants to. When they get too hot, they will move unless they are sick. My Skylar stayed on his heating pad until he was 6 weeks old, hehe.

Be sure you get the special newborn milk with colostrum in it. This is very crucial for such a young kitten. The Petsmart here doesn't carry it but Petco does.

Do you have AIM? If you do, get on it and we can talk on there!

aly
06-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Oh yeah, its also really important to put a stuffed animal in there with him so he can cuddle up to it. Emotional comfort is almost as important as physical for them. When Skylar was little, I got a small stuffed animal because if it was too big, it made him get off the heating pad.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pf8b0c5fe974d24cdabfec9fe1d826f97/fc4d05ee.jpg

micki76
06-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Arrrggghhh! No I don't have AIM. Darn it!! The heating pad is on low, and I'll make room for him to get off of it. Thanks! Anything elso I should know? How much should he eat per meal? Not very much I assume.

aly
06-15-2003, 06:16 PM
At that age Skylar was eating about 3 cc's every 2-3 hours. It would vary some of course, but that was about the average.

Do you know about warming the formula and everything? Test it on your wrist and it should be about the same temp as your wrist .. not feel too hot or too cold.

Cataholic
06-15-2003, 06:18 PM
Micki...bless you!!! Stay calm, follow the instructions Aly has given you, and this should work. Good luck!! And, keep an eye out for those other kitties. I ***don't***think the feral momma cat would take this one back? Does anyone know this? I think I would look for a foster mom, too!!!!!

aly
06-15-2003, 06:18 PM
If you can't find a nursing mom, I'd be happy to help you or foster him for you? Not sure how your dogs feel about kitties. But I'm not too far away if you need ANY help at all so just holler, ok?

apcrs5122
06-15-2003, 06:21 PM
We are taking care of 5 orphaned kittens right now. We got them at 3 weeks old and they are now 8 weeks. You need to feed babies about every 2 hours and when they are about 3 weeks, feed them every 4. Talk to your local humane society (if you have one) and they should help. Use a warm, wet washcloth on it's bottom to stimulate bowel movements. Get on the internet and do searches for babies and make sure you keep it warm. Also it would be a good idea to put in a stuffed animal about the size a mother cat would be to sybolize a mother for the baby. That's all I can think of right now.....hope you can take care of it!!!

babolaypo65
06-15-2003, 06:21 PM
Boy I'm glad Aly and cataholic know so much! My heart was pounding reading this. I've never had to do this, so I have nothing to offer other than good thoughts!

Desert Arabian
06-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Here are a couple of websites. I hope they have some good insights for you!!

Website 1 (http://www.feralcat.com/raising.html)
Website 2 (http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/orphans.html)
Website 3- This one is the best I believe (http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm)
Website 4 (http://cathelp-online.com/health2kittens.html)

-YLL

micki76
06-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Thanks so much Aly! Chester is trying to eat him, so hopefully I can find a Mommy for him asap. I'm going to make some calls.

Should I cover him up with anything while he's on the heating pad or will he get too hot?

Trying to stay calm. :) Thanks Cataholic. And no, I don't think she's coming back. Chester put the fear of dog in her. :rolleyes: We kept him inside all day waiting for her to come back. She came and got the other two, but not this one. :confused: She's very feral and I think this was her 1st litter. I tried to get animal control to come and trap her so that at least the kitties would have a chance, but my little town won't do anything on Sunday! :mad: :mad: :mad:

aly
06-15-2003, 06:28 PM
ITs good to put a blanket over them to prevent a draft. Is he in a crate?

aly
06-15-2003, 06:32 PM
I cut up pieces of fabric (fleece) into sizes to cover the heating pad, and one to cover the kitty. Then I also cover the whole crate with a sheet. I check often though to be sure the kitty can get out and isn't stuck in anything.

I know a few of the rescue groups and shelters around there but don't know how they are with babies. Let me know if you can't find help. I really wouldn't mind fostering, especially since all mine are off the bottle now!

And don't get stressed out! You're doing all you can and so whatever happens, you know you tried your best and made a big difference :)

micki76
06-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Yes he's in a dog bed in a large crate. I have a towel over the dog bed, but not touching him and he has a small stuffy now. Wow, no sleep for Mommy tonight. At least I can take him to work with me tomorrow. :) Glad for my boss, she's an animal person, too. Gotta go feed! :)

PetLuvr4Ever
06-15-2003, 06:50 PM
I had to raise a kitten that had just been born once. It was actually Opie who I raised. Anyway, just do what they have told you to do. Keep a heating pad in there and feed him every 2-3 hours. Also, if you haven't, then you'd probably want to put an old towel or somthing over the heating pad. That also keeps is from getting too hot and incase he/she has to go it won't get on the heating pad. At first it's pretty stressful but afterwards, it gets fun!

angelkitty023
06-15-2003, 09:51 PM
I have clarise in a cat carrier .
when im not in the room
cuz ozzy may grab her.
but lately she been fast ,
but 2 fast 2 furious(the movie).:D
ozzy tries to get her playing but she fast for him
them get in underthe bed
he stay there lookin for her but she goes to the top
:D

cat carriers have door u can close try get a small 1 .

micki76
06-15-2003, 10:44 PM
Thanks so much everyone, for your information and your encouragement. Thanks Aly for all your help and YLL thanks for the links. I found the 3rd one very helpful, esp. about rubbing the head and back to stimulate nursing. :) He/she's quite the good eater and seems fairly strong so, fingers and paws crossed, we may have a real chance!!!

Here's a few pics:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/pb91167e8315e9b42ed5422377fbf6de5/fbeabd5f.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/p1b87716dc9da249c36138c2677596db9/fbeaba7e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/p305dbaccf90a6667bf3d6114da8ccfe8/fbeabaca.jpg

How sweet!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/p68ac643222f37306ea6267ed2d7f156b/fbeabb74.jpg

Look at that orange spot!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/pd62e2961ea5eb0bceccd002d5278d2d8/fbeabb1a.jpg

PetLuvr4Ever
06-15-2003, 10:48 PM
aww!! How cute!! So adorable! I hope that he/she makes it!

aly
06-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwww, looks like a dilute calico so she's probably a girl. Don't show Naomi !!! ;) :D

ramanth
06-16-2003, 08:43 AM
AWWWWWW!!!

I have nothing useful to offer, I just wanted to thank you for saving her/him. :)

What a sweetie!

micki76
06-16-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by aly
Awwwwwwwwwwwww, looks like a dilute calico so she's probably a girl. Don't show Naomi !!! ;) :D

If two little bumps in the genitle area indicate anything, then I think I have a little boy kitty. :)

Hey Naomi... LOOKY HERE!!

K & L
06-16-2003, 08:48 AM
Sounds like everyone has already given you valuable info. The kitten is adorable. Good rescue job! Keep the photos coming.

moosmom
06-16-2003, 10:59 AM
I'm so sorry I missed this thread.

The mother will not come back, trust me on this one. You are considered a predator to her and that is why she moved her other babies.

The only thing you can do now is concentrate on caring for the one baby left. Make calls to shelters, or rescue organizations to see if there are any lactating (nursing) mothers there. If so, ask if you can bring the kitten in to nurse off of her. She'll have a better chance.

She will let you know when she's hungry, believe me!! You got alot of great advice here. I just wish I had seen this thread sooner. Keep the heating pad on low and cover it with a towel. The kitten will sleep most of the time unless she's hungry.

One other suggestion is if you have one of those wind up alarm clocks, put that in as well, as it simulates the mother's heartbeat.

Good luck. You're doing a great thing.

Nomilynn
06-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by micki76
If two little bumps in the genitle area indicate anything, then I think I have a little boy kitty. :)

Hey Naomi... LOOKY HERE!!

Oh believe me... I LOOKED! and then cried at the cuteness of it all. I swear.. that little face is talking to me!!! :eek: :D

Barbara
06-16-2003, 01:55 PM
I think at that tender age, little bumps don't say much:( Wait and see -and choose a neutral name:D

aly
06-16-2003, 02:39 PM
micki - how are you doing with no sleep today? :)

I know it would best for the kitty to have a nursing mama, but I personally have never done that due to the risk of baby giving the mama cat FIV. Since you can't test until 8 weeks, there will be a possibility of baby carrying it. Its is probably a very LOW possibility since baby probably wasn't exposed to too many other cats yet. Mama doesn't transfer it through birth, but if she licked baby at all, there's a chance baby could have caught it. Or if its, FIP, that is VERY easy to contract.

Anyway, just something to think about :)

micki76
06-16-2003, 03:13 PM
We found a lactating momma and the woman fostering her and her kittens is very experienced in all this, so even if momma won't nurse him, the human knows what to do! Way more than me!!! We're meeting her this evening. Thank you all so much!!!!!! Aly, you are awesome!!!!!!

Cataholic
06-16-2003, 06:01 PM
I think that is what will work best for everyone Micki! Please let us know how it goes...

micki76
06-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Wow! She's gonna be a great foster for this kitten! She has done this a lot and currently has a litter of 4, now 5. :) Her kitties are almost weaned so she may not nurse "my" kitty too long, but Jackie can certainly take over. She said she ends up keeping most of her fosters and has several animals. She works at her family’s business, so she can take kitty to work as needed, too. I'm so happy! :D :D
Once again, Pet Talkers too the rescue. You guys are terrific and I'm so glad to be a part of this community. Correction, family.

Forgot-She said she'll call in a couple of days and let me know how things are going, so I'll update everyone here, too! :D

NoahsMommy
06-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Awww! That's great! I'm glad it all worked out OK. :) She sure is a cutie!! :)