PDA

View Full Version : Update on new job at humane society....

Cisco's Mom
06-15-2003, 09:14 AM
Well, I have now been an emlpoyee for 7 working days and I will have to say that everyday has been very interesting!! I am working as a pet placement councelor(sp?) were I talk with people who want to adopt, looking for a lost pet, found a lost pet, or wants to drop off a pet. The emotions are constantly changing. Going from extreme anger to depression to extreme happiness. All tese feelings can occur in a matter of an hour!! I need and will have to find a niche that is best for me so that I can do the best for the animals. I'm sure that I will beable to do this with time. I do know one thing I will Never understand why some people treat thier animals the way they do. The very best moments are of course getting a pet a forever home or returning a lost pet to the proper owner.:D At this time of the yr. the shelter is maxed out which is not good for the pets coming in the door!! One lady stands out in mind and still bugs me. Last Fri. this lady brought a litter of kitties in and said that her female and male cat just keep having babies!! MMMMMMmmmmm...how stupid is this lady????? I quickly reached for a card that had info. on it about getting the cats altered and at a discounted price, but she showed no interest.Grrrrrrr!!!! If only people could understand that thier pets need to be altered!! There is just no way we can get all of these animals a home!!! We took in 151 pets yesterday and we were full at the begginning of the day!! The human race really saddens me sometimes.:( :( I try to keep in mind the babies we have that will or have found a home and try to stay as pos. as I can, but I tend to get very angry!! OK, I'm sorry I have gone on so long I will post more info. about my new job soon.
PS- on the llighter side. This is Quaymack. A labby w/ a missing ear. I helped him get a forever home yestreday along with sveral other fur babies!!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/p9c432816582aac547726d62d409fd96e/fbec2f4d.jpg

aly
06-15-2003, 01:01 PM
I have the same job :) I've been doing it for several years and was a volunteer for some years before that also. It has never gotten any easier for me. Its not a rare thing to see me crying at work, even in front of customers. Even though it doesn't get easy, I still feel its very rewarding and very worth it. If I ever feel like quitting, I just walk into the dog kennels or cattery and look at their faces. I could never leave them, although I have switched shelters a few times :(