PDA

View Full Version : Poor Riley!

Prairie Purrs
06-14-2003, 05:26 PM
A friend of mine adopted Riley, one of my Angelboy's littermates. He's a big, sweet, two-year-old lapcat, and she adores him. Well, the poor baby is going to have to have surgery on Tuesday to repair a broken leg--the way my friend describes it, it sounds rather like a hip replacement. The femur is detached somehow from the hip socket.

She has no idea how it happened. He must have jumped or fallen from somewhere in the house (he and Angel and their brother Pistol are all climbers).

The worst thing is that she first took him to an emergency vet who didn't bother to take X-rays and told her that one of her other cats must have bit him--then sent poor Riley home with some antibiotics! :mad: Fortunately, she followed up with her regular vet, who had the sense to do an X-ray.

The vet says Riley will always have a limp after this. :(

Does anyone have a kitty who has had a similar injury? Any encouraging words I can pass along?

neko1
06-14-2003, 06:56 PM
Hope everything goes ok with the surgery! We'll be praying for you Riley

Lorraine
06-14-2003, 09:18 PM
Poor Riley! I'm sending best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery!:)

krazyaboutkatz
06-14-2003, 09:43 PM
I've never had a cat that had to go through this kind of surgery but I'm sending prayers and positive thoughts his way for a successful surgery and speedy recovery too. Please take care Riley.

lizbud
06-14-2003, 10:26 PM
Poor Riley indeed.:( I've never had this experience so can
offer no advice, but I will pray that he recovers quickly. It's
hard to believe that a simple fall could create the kind of injury
you describe.I would think it would take a lot of force to dislocate
a limb at the joint, unless Riley had an underlying problem with
his joints. I wish him the best of luck.:)

Prairie Purrs
06-14-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Poor Riley indeed.:( I've never had this experience so can
offer no advice, but I will pray that he recovers quickly. It's
hard to believe that a simple fall could create the kind of injury
you describe.I would think it would take a lot of force to dislocate
a limb at the joint, unless Riley had an underlying problem with
his joints. I wish him the best of luck.:)

My friend's vet said it's not an uncommon injury--and he's a pretty big boy, so if he landed wrong it would have been a lot of stress on the leg.

Thanks, everyone, for wishing him well. I'll pass it along. :) It's almost like having one of my own cats hurting, 'cause Riley was born in my study and spent his first few months romping around my house.

slick
06-15-2003, 01:35 PM
So sorry to hear about Riley. I'm praying that things go well.

Prairie Purrs
06-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Riley got through his surgery extremely well. My friend tells me that as soon as she got him home, he dashed up the stairs and hid under the bed. So apparently he's going to be able to get around just fine. :)

tatsxxx11
06-19-2003, 07:54 AM
It does sound like it may be a stress fracture; poor kitty may have had a predisposing weakness in that joint:( I'm sorry to hear that treatment was delayed but the emergency vet. But it sounds like he's in good hands now. Prayers are on the way for dear Riley!!

K & L
06-19-2003, 09:00 AM
As a matter of fact one of our cats had a hip surgery. It all worked out wonderfully. They actually removed some bone and cartlidge grew over to take the place of the bone. They said Bailey may have a limp, but he doesn't. Wouldn't even know he had the surgery. Good luck to them both.

kimlovescats
06-19-2003, 01:12 PM
So happy to hear that Riley is feeling so much better!!!:D

Prairie Purrs
06-19-2003, 01:53 PM
Good to hear that Bailey came through the same thing so well! I'll let my friend know about that. :D

krazyaboutkatz
06-19-2003, 11:42 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Riley is doing well. :D I'm sure he'll be back to normal in no time at all. :)

HayleyRosie
06-20-2003, 06:21 AM
Riley will be in my thoughts and prayers.