PDA

View Full Version : Silent Legacy/Matthew Shepherd

CattleDogMom
06-14-2003, 12:22 PM
I have gotten some response to my Matthew Shepherd ribbon and I just wanted to take a moment to explain a bit about it for those who don't know.

Matthew Shepherd was a young gay man that was beaten to near death while tied to a fence and then left for dead propped up like a scarecrow.

He was found alive, but later died. He is now used as an example against hate crimes. That is what my ribbon is all about.

There are 2 powerfull and beautiful video's I would like to share with you all. They are by Mellissa Ethridge. One is about Matthew Sheppherd, and the other is about acceptance. Please turn your speakers up.

Scarecrow (http://www.k-j-s.com/scarecrow/scarecrow.html)

Silent Legacy (http://www.k-j-s.com/silent/silentLegacy2.html)

Cataholic
06-14-2003, 01:12 PM
Those are both really cool. Scarecrow is very powerful. I can't believe it has been 4.5 years since Matthew was killed. It seems much more recent than that. Thanks for bringing attention to a very difficult topic for most to discuss.

wolfsoul
06-14-2003, 01:22 PM
That's so sad :( I don't want to watch the second movie...Whenever I watch things or see things about people who've died, I always feel like they are watching me..It creeps me out...

It's so sad that people have to hate others because of their sexuality. :( My best friend is a bisexual, and I have had a gay friend in the past, not too mention I have a few friends who are lesbians. They are all perfectly normal, and they are great people, not because of their sexuality, but because of who they are. :)

After watching Will and Grace, I've always wanted to have a gay friend like Will lol. :p :o

CattleDogMom
06-14-2003, 01:50 PM
The Silent Legacy video isn't about anyone in particular, it's about acceptance...I think you'll like it.

I always knew even as a little girl I was gay. But, I have a very close minded family, so to show them I was "normal" (among other reasons) I left with a jerk of a guy, had 3 kids and married him. Well, now I am happy I have my kids of course, but I dumped the jerk. Not that all men are jerks, but I am just saying I made a mistake just to make others happy.

Even though to this day I call myself "gay" or "lesbian" I guess technicaly I am bi-sexual. I am partnered with a man right now. But he understands my need for balance, and I do have relationships with women, too.
For me personally, it's not about finding the right man or woman, it's about finding the right person. I can honestly say my man-partner is the only man I will ever be with again. If we were to split, I would be 100% lesbian again. LOL, I tease him and say, "How does it feel to know you are the only man that can keep me straight?" He says "Darn good!!!"
:eek:

Crystal

babolaypo65
06-14-2003, 06:44 PM
Today was Gay Pride Day in my town. While I am not gay, I did some volunteer work for the festivall. Just got home, tired, sunburned. The videos reminded me that while there are many reasons to celebrate in the gay/lesbian/transgendered communities, there's still a lot of work to be done, and not just by folks who are gay.
Thanks for posting the links.

CattleDogMom
06-14-2003, 08:48 PM
Good for you...I always love Gay Pride festivals.

Ours around here is the weekend of the 28th. We also have alot of Gay Pride at our Pagan Pride festival in September.

What was your volenteer job?

Uabassoon
06-14-2003, 08:50 PM
We usually have our gay pride celebration in October it's called Outoberfest. We have it in October because it's way too hot to have it in the summer.

CattleDogMom
06-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Uabassoon
Did you want any of my pride banners?

Crystal

Uabassoon
06-14-2003, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I think for now I'm happy with the one I have. And I don't really want to add another one just because I don't want my signature to be too large. But if I get tired of this one I'll be sending you a pm asking you for a new one :)

CattleDogMom
06-14-2003, 09:08 PM
LOL...

Sorry, I collect/store art and banners on my puter...I guess I just thought everyone did...

Crystal

Uabassoon
06-14-2003, 09:11 PM
I didn't even think about storing them in my computer LOL If you want you can email some. I'll PM you my email address.

IttyBittyKitty
06-15-2003, 07:42 AM
I was wondering who Matthew Shepard was, thank you for sharing those. I just can't imagine why people do the things that they do to other humans and animals.

CattleDogMom
06-15-2003, 11:26 AM
I hear ya on that one!

When I watch those video's, I get chills...my hair stands on end and tears well up in my eyes. I get the same way when I look at pictures of orphaned animals, and trees being cut down! One of my hero's is Julia "Butterfly" Hill...the girl that lived in Luna the tree for 2 years to keep it from being cut down. I protested to our landlord of our house if he touched our trees I would do the same!!!

It's true, I guess...I'm a hippie flower child. I was born to one....it's in my blood...

My husband teases me. He is so straight laced, military man. And he married me. I go to marches and protests. I take the kids, I wear the hippie clothes. OH WELL..

I just wish people would realize as the "superior species" we need to treat that with care. But then again, I often wonder, are we really the superior species, after all?:confused:

moosmom
06-15-2003, 12:39 PM
CattleDogMom,

While finding the right person is one way of thinking of it, my philosopy is this...Until you can be happy inside and content with with the way your life is going (remember Life is what happens when you're busy making plans), that's when you'll find that special person.

There's a verse from a song by Peter, Paul and Mary that goes:

Home is where the heart is
No matter how the heart lives
Inside your heart where love is
That's where you've got to make yourself at home.

It's a song about children asking their Moms about their gay neighbors. I think it's got a very powerful message behind it. It's not how you live your life, who you live or what anyone thinks about it that matters. It's the love in your heart that counts.

What happened to Matthew Sheperd is disgusting. There are some sick bastards in this world. Okay, so they have THEIR opinions. Instead of killing a man to prove they're "real" men, all they have to do is believe in their distorted opinions and keep their damn mouths shut!!

BTW, I have a Rainbow Kitty sticker on my bumper and no, I'm not gay.

CattleDogMom
06-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Agreed....

In Wicca, the Goddess tells us...

"If what Ye seek, Ye find not within, Ye shall never find without."

I feel like I have offended, or said something wrong. I was merely trying to respond to those who responded to my ribbon, which I have since ammended, since it seemed to be too political for this particualr forum. No bother to me, though, life is about being like a tree....roots planted sturdy in the ground, but branches flexible too.

I realize that just because people have a rainbow doesn't mean they're displaying gay pride.

Regards, Crystal

CattleDogMom
06-15-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by moosmom

Okay, so they have THEIR opinions....all they have to do is believe in their distorted opinions and keep their damn mouths shut!!

PS.....

LOL...I bet "those" people are saying the same thing about US!

Peace, Crystal

Cataholic
06-15-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by CattleDogMom
I feel like I have offended, or said something wrong. I was merely trying to respond to those who responded to my ribbon, which I have since ammended, since it seemed to be too political for this particualr forum.

Crystal, I would like to know who has found offensive/wrong your banner, that you felt it necessary to change it. Would you pm me that information?
Thanks,
Johanna

CattleDogMom
06-15-2003, 01:39 PM
OH no no no!...for the record, no one has said anything...I was just saying I'm sorry if I did offend. I realize this is a pet forum, and what I had up may not have been appropriate.

If anyone wants to continue to talk about this topic, I suggest we do it in a PM. Maybe that will be better???

Uabassoon
06-15-2003, 05:40 PM
BTW, I have a Rainbow Kitty sticker on my bumper and no, I'm not gay.

I think that's cute my roommmate had one too and she's not gay. Last year she wanted someone to go to the Greek fair with her so I said I'd go if she went to Gay Pride with me. When she went she saw the rainbow kitty sticker and thought it was the cutest thing ever so she put it on her car.

moosmom
06-15-2003, 05:42 PM
Believe me, there is absolutely NO offense taken at all!! I say to each his own!! :D

The Dog House is for the purpose of discussing controversial subjects.

Cataholic
06-15-2003, 06:02 PM
What rainbow kitty sticker? If I get one, will I have to become gay?

moosmom
06-16-2003, 11:07 AM
Johanna,

I went to Cape Cod with some friends a couple years ago. We walked around Provincetown and happen to wander into this great shop. I noticed both rainbow cats and rainbow dog (Dog and cat shaped rainbow stickers) stickers and decided to buy one, not knowing what it stood for (or caring for that matter). I put it on the bumper of my car and it's been there ever since. It's my favorite sticker next to "I'm tired of stupid people" sticker :D. If you'd like, my friend is going to the Cape in a couple of weeks and I can have her pick one up for you. Let me know if you prefer a dog, cat or both!

wolfsoul
06-16-2003, 06:55 PM
A little irrellevant, but has anyone listened or heard of the band tATu? They are two lesbian singers from Russia. They have great music :)

http://www.tatu.ru/eng/main.shtml

CattleDogMom
06-16-2003, 06:57 PM
I have heard of them, but I think it's an act for them...just to sell albums and make money.

My daughter loves them, though.

wolfsoul
06-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Yes, it could be an act ;) Have you seen their videos? lol. Apparently they are pretty...ummm....*ahem* graphic :rolleyes: :o

Cataholic
06-16-2003, 07:03 PM
Wow, thanks, Donna! I think I would like one of each...not wanting to leave Binx out of the loop...just let me know the costs, and I will write the check!!

anna_66
06-17-2003, 07:50 AM

For me personally, it's not about finding the right man or woman, it's about finding the right person. I can honestly say my man-partner is the only man I will ever be with again.

I couldn't agree with this more Crystal. If anything ever happened to Mark, no other man could or would ever take his place:)
And thanks for the videos they were both very moving. I'd never heard Scarcrow, but had heard Silent Legacy before. I really love Mellissia Ethridge's music.

PayItForward
06-17-2003, 11:52 AM
For me personally, it's not about finding the right man or woman, it's about finding the right person. I can honestly say my man-partner is the only man I will ever be with again.
Too right.

We fall in love with a person, not a gender.

IttyBittyKitty
06-18-2003, 09:11 AM
Agreed....

In Wicca, the Goddess tells us...

"If what Ye seek, Ye find not within, Ye shall never find without."

I feel like I have offended, or said something wrong. I was merely trying to respond to those who responded to my ribbon, which I have since ammended, since it seemed to be too political for this particualr forum. No bother to me, though, life is about being like a tree....roots planted sturdy in the ground, but branches flexible too.

I realize that just because people have a rainbow doesn't mean they're displaying gay pride.

Regards, Crystal

Exactly. There is no reason why a straight person can't support gay pride -after all, every individual will benefit from a more tolerant society. We should all stand up for the causes of the minority groups to which we belong, but even more importantly, those to which we don't belong. After all, we support animal rights and none of us are animals! :D

I don't want to invite vitriol (and I'm not asserting anything about any Pet Talkers), but I've noticed that most people who get offended by politcal slogans in general such as gay pride, anti-racist and animal rights slogans in the general populace are those who don't want to be faced with the reality of prejudice because they are too afraid to stand up to it.

Their greatest crime is silence. Sad, but true.

Vio&Juni
06-25-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
A little irrellevant, but has anyone listened or heard of the band tATu? They are two lesbian singers from Russia. They have great music :)

http://www.tatu.ru/eng/main.shtml

They are not lesbians. This is just a technique of their producer to market their music. Although, the attitude towards gays and lesbians changed a lot since then. I can't say people are very tolerant here, but sometimes, it gives me goosebumps when I hear stories from other countries (US mostly). No offence to Americans, please. Although people are very traditionalist here, I've never heard of cruel attitude towards other religion or other sexual affiliation.
I can also call myself bi-sexual, although I had one gf only, and more than one man :( It's really not about gender, it's about the person and you're lucky to find the person not everyday.