PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion of cropping ears and tails and fancy haircuts?

jackiesdaisy1935
03-06-2001, 05:04 PM
As a novice with our first Schnauzer we went the route of having her ears cropped listening to the breeder that she would look so much better. Our second Schnauzer who is Daisy, we decided not to put her through this painful experience. She has very big ears and we love her the more for it. When we got our third Schnauzer, Perry, we got him from a breeder who already had his ears cropped., but still had the bandage on one ear, so my husband worked with him and his ears stand straight. I would never, ever, again crop any of my dogs ears. I would never put them thru this painful experience just to make them look pretty. I'm not sure about cropping the tails, I thought I read somewhere it is better for some dogs to have their tails cropped for safety. Our dogs tails were already cropped when we got them.

RachelJ
03-06-2001, 05:39 PM
My dogs tails were both cropped when I got them too. Poor Tucker's was done so short, he really doesn't even have a tail, just a stub. I didn't dock the tails of the one litter of puppies that Bailey had and our neighbor (from whom we got Bailey as a puppy) didn't dock hers or any others in that litter either. I wish the AKC would revise their standard to eliminate these practices. Different haircuts I have no problem with.

Angels3
03-06-2001, 05:47 PM
There's a campaign here by the primary animal welfare organization to ban tail docking in dogs.

jackiesdaisy1935
03-06-2001, 05:49 PM
Angels3, how about ear cropping? Do they perform that on certain dogs?
Jackie

Logan
03-06-2001, 06:42 PM
I was watching something on tv the other day about the guy that produces the Marmaduke cartoons. He has a greyhound with undocked ears. She (?) is absolutely beautiful, but very different than what you are used to seeing.
I am DEFINITELY against docking and cropping. Of course my Goldens have lovely, flowing tails and floppy ears that I love!

Daisy's Mom
03-06-2001, 06:45 PM
Being the mom of a Basset Hound, I simply love big ears and would never want to crop them. Why put them through pain just to have them look nice? I personally think that's sick. Same thing with tails. What's wrong with a long waggy tail? I find dogs are cuter when they have their ears and tails. As for the haircuts, they don't really bother me. I think they look pretty stupid, but at least it doesn't harm the animal. Well, as far as we know at least... it might get made fun of by the other dogs! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

karlicat
03-06-2001, 07:06 PM
My dog sorta gets embarrassed when we cut her fur too short. I am WAY against dock n cropping!!

Genia
03-06-2001, 07:15 PM
I am against cropping, docking and fancy
haircuts, unless for health and/or safety reasons. I believe that some dogs are sterotyped because of this procedure. In certain breeds of dogs, their look is intimidating. A gentleman who has the same vet as I has one of the most beautiful dobermans I have ever seen. He is un-cropped, un-docked (are those words?) and is so sweet natured and devoted to his owner. All dobermans may be this way but some people can't get past the intimidating look to discover this. I thought this way until I had the pleasure of living across the street from a gentle doberman. I also had the pleasure of meeting a Standard Poodle without the "foo-foo puff ball" cut (as my 11 yr old calls it) He was trimmed neatly and absolutly beautiful. Poodles are great family pets, but with the cut the perception is sometimes that they are spoiled, costly, pamperd animals with no real use. I admit have stereotyped only to find out later the wonderful qualities these animals possess. I'm not saying you should care what others think. I just think that if they were born with a certain look, why not accept them they way they are? If anyone can give me a good reason as to why these procedures are done, I would love to learn.

Rottie
03-07-2001, 11:48 AM
I really like the fact that Carl has no tail. It never gets in the way, knocking stuff over and everything. I also think he looks better with it off (although I never saw him with it on http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif)

If the tail is docked when it is supposed to be (when the pups are a few days old), it supposedly doesn't hurt them, too much. But, I've never actually been there during a tail docking.

The ear cropping is okay, I guess if you like that look, but I think it makes them look mean.

I think the fancy haircuts on poodles, and cockers, etc. are weird. Again, if you like that look it's fine, but I really think that it makes the dogs look like hairballs, not dogs.

[This message has been edited by Rottie (edited March 07, 2001).]

wolflady
03-07-2001, 12:04 PM
I think that cropping and docking is an inhumane act. What's the point? People are so superficial that they have to cut pieces of their dog off so they "look right"? Then again people modify their bodies these days too. But that's through choice. The dog's don't have that choice. I agree with Genia that uncropped, undocked dobermans are just beautiful! I don't know why or how anyone came up with this barbaric practice in the first place. Of course, sometimes the animal comes that way and there's nothing you can do about it, but just give them love! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif
As for haircuts, I agree that some of the haircuts give the animal a bad wrap, like the poodle...but a lot of people get this done for show. It doesn't hurt the dog, so that doesn't bother me. Also, clipping keeps dogs cool in the hot summers.

carrie
03-07-2001, 04:23 PM
I am going to upset some people ( nothing new there then!) but why get a dog that you have to perform surgery on before you are happy with the way it looks?
The surgical mutilation of dogs is only a necessary if the dog you have chosen to own is the wrong breed for you. If the characteristics of the dog suit you and you, personally, have no reason to think that a tail or ears are going to be a health risk then why would you want to give the impression that your dog looks different than the rest of the breed? What possible justification is the fact that you think it looks nice for cutting bits of healthy tissue away from healthy dogs?

"you" being a generic term - not, I repeat NOT directed at anyone!!

[This message has been edited by carrie (edited March 07, 2001).]

ownerof3dogs
03-08-2001, 02:33 PM
I am not even going to touch this topic with a 10 foot or even 100 foot pole
But I do like the way Dobermans look with the ears and tail done. And I do sorta agree with Rottie on this one.
I guess it is just a prefrence.

BoxerLover
03-08-2001, 03:07 PM
Ok, When I rescued Nikki from the Boxer Rescue place, she was 10 months old and she already had both procedures done to her. I am TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY AGAINST ear cropping on boxers and other dogs. It is unnecesary and very painful. The reason that breeders have ear cropping done today is just because of traditional looks of a fighting dog. This is totally inexusaeable (is that a word?). Now, about tail docking. I personally love Nikkis little tail! I thought it was extremely painful to them until I got Nikki's litters tails docked. They were 3 days old and their tails were just cartilage, so it wasnt painful. I am just saying that I like Nikki's tail, I wouldnt change it. Tail cropping is kind of neutral for me because I cant really make up my mind if it is good or bad.

KYS
03-08-2001, 07:06 PM
Personal preference:

I prefer a natural look.

CROPPING: wouldn't do it.
DOCKING: I am neutral and will admit
that I like the look of docked tails on
certain breeds. I have been told that
docking has little or no pain, but I have
never had my tail docked, only my ears pierced. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif
FANCY Haircuts: To each his own.
I prefer the puppy cut.

Angels3
03-08-2001, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
Angels3, how about ear cropping? Do they perform that on certain dogs?
Jackie

Jackie, I've never even heard of ear-cropping in Australia & I've been associated with dog shows, and rescue & animal welfare for years. And I've never even seen a dog with cropped ears (except in pictures). But the campaign is strong against tail-docking. Here's the press release from the RSPCA, our major animal welfare association. http://www.rspca.org.au/media_releases/release-18-12-00.html

[This message has been edited by Angels3 (edited March 08, 2001).]

AdoreMyDogs
03-09-2001, 06:48 AM
Hi everyone...I'm back after a 6 day trip to Chicago area for business and I sure did miss pet talk! I brought my laptop with my but could not get the silly thing online! I think some of you already know that I despise cropping ears! I can't stand the way it looks on any breed, and it's a horrible experience for the dog. As for tail docking...it's no doubt painful, I don't care what anyone says, the scream that comes out of those tiny lungs was enough to give me nightmares when I worked at that vet. Unfortunately I assisted with a large number of tail docking/dewclaw removals. The pups receive no pain killers whatsoever. They simply do 3 snips and the tail is off, then they stich up the hole. No one could ever convince me that it's a painless precedure...ever! I do have to admit that I like the look of a short tail, however, although I would never do it to any of my dogs. My Graham has a naturally docked tail and it's cute, and i love rottie and aussie's round backends. I just think it looks good, but as for the ear cropping, I am turned off by the look completely, but it's just my preferance. I think it ruins the way dogs look.

Gio
03-09-2001, 11:31 AM
I am dead against it. I personally think that if a dog was born with a tail and ears it is meant to have them. Unless there are medical reasons behind the surgery, I think it is cruel to inflict those poor pups some unnecessary pain.

Luv My Brando
03-16-2001, 04:32 PM
In my opinion, Ears and Tails should NEVER be TOUCHED.

Is it right to alter body parts on animals because some animal breed association thinks (or thought) it looks better? No way.

I'm sure that the VAST majority of animals that have these procedures done will never be "shown" in competitions anyway. What a waste.

Margrete
03-16-2001, 10:57 PM
We've had 5 miniature Schnauzers over the years and all of their tails were docked at birth. We were told they are prone to back problems later in life unless that happens. Don't know if that is true or not. The ears are another thing entirely. Our first dog did not have cropped ears and we loved him that way - the next three had already been cropped by the breeder, so we had no say in the matter, although the last one with cropped ears had a terrible infection and the man caring for her (the breeder had been hospitalized) used the wrong kind of adhesive and it was a nightmare to get off. Our latest baby - now 9 months old - has the most beautiful big ears that just flop over at the tips - and they are going to stay just exactly that way. When we took her for her first visit to the Vet he asked if we planned on cropping her ears. We said no - and he replied thank God because it is such a traumatic thing to do to the animal. I know that this practice is banned in England and some other European countries. I think the AKC needs to have some pressure put on it to change it's policies about what a "show" dog should look like.

AdoreMyDogs
03-17-2001, 10:43 AM
Hi Margrete,

People will come up with any kind of excuse to make it ok to mutilate dogs for vanity reasons. I have heard the most ridicilous excuses for docking and cropping. I don't believe ANY of them, except that tail docking does have some benefits when the dogs are playing or hunting in the underbrush, having a docked tail will minimize potential tail damage. But how many dogs with a cropped tail actually hunt in long grasses and underbrush? How many of them even hunt? The original purpose of docking tails was to protect them from getting cut up while hunting.

I like the look of a docked tail...I would NEVER do it to any of my dogs, even if someone paid me to do it, but regardless I like the way it looks, as do most people which is why people do it now.

ownerof3dogs
03-17-2001, 11:41 AM
what you said about the tails I have heard too and that is why, in some cases, ears were cropped too so they wouldn't get cought up in brush while hunting or doing gaurd work( casing someone into the woods)

Daisy's Mom
03-17-2001, 01:37 PM
That doesn't make sense. Basset Hounds were bred to hunt rabbits and they have the biggest flappiest ears of all, not to mention a big wagging tail!

jackiesdaisy1935
03-17-2001, 05:34 PM
Hi Adoremydogs We have had three Schnauzers and it is almost impossible to get a Schnauzer from a breeder without a docked tail. They do that immediately after they are born and you don't usually get a puppie until they are at least 8 to 12 weeks old and their tails are already docked. However the ears are another thing, it is usually up to the person who buys the puppie to crop or not crop. We opt not to crop. We got Perry at 7 months old and he was already cropped, when we got Daisy she was not cropped and we left her natural, we love her big ears, they stand straight up, no tip.
I think it is a thing with the breeders and until they decide natural, most Schnauzers tails will always be docked. Hopefully someday all dogs will go back to their natural state.

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited March 17, 2001).]

ownerof3dogs
03-18-2001, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Daisy's Mom:
That doesn't make sense. Basset Hounds were bred to hunt rabbits and they have the biggest flappiest ears of all, not to mention a big wagging tail!

That just what I heard. Also thats why I said in some cases because not every breed gets cropped ears.
Can you imagine Bassets with cropped ears? Now that would be a sight.

Daisy's Mom
03-19-2001, 09:23 PM
Daisy just wouldn't be Daisy without those ears! The ears make a Basset. Big ears are adorable! Daisy likes to have her ears flapped http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Smare
03-27-2001, 11:20 AM
Hi,
I have a doberman who had his tail cropped. It dosen't hurt the dogs if they get it done when they are small puppies. But however, he didn't have his ears clipped, and he is much cuter, and looks sweeter with floppy ears. He has gotten a lot of comments on his floppy ears too. And it is sooo cute when he wags his stubby tail! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif I think it is better to not crop their ears, unless your getting a gaurd dog and want him to look tough. As far as the tails though, if you want to have their tails cropped, do it when they are puppies, it won't hurt them as much then. But as far as I know, it is safe to do both.
Thanks,
-Smare

ownerof3dogs
03-27-2001, 01:50 PM
You have a Doberman. I LOVE dobermans. My mom bred them while I was growing up. They are lovely dogs.

Do you have any pictures you could show us?

danegirl
03-27-2001, 04:26 PM
i think you should leave your dogs ears alone my friends dad got her dogs ears cut and the vet messed him up they told me he was bleeding for like 2 minutes non stop http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif and they had to put one of those baords around his head so he wouldnt sctrach his ear and it was a cardboard one. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif im against it all leave your pet the way it is if you do it, it is just wrong http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif but thats my opinion so bye
Luv Ya
*Danegirl*

Jamaican 17
03-30-2001, 04:23 PM
I am also against docking, cropping, and fancy haircuts. It is painful to them and also I think that it is mean. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif

PUPPY POWER
04-09-2001, 09:17 PM
I was thinking of docking my dog's ears but I thought that if god wanted his to be docked he would have been born with his ears docked. Besides I would not want any oneto cut pieces of my ears off, would you?

[This message has been edited by PUPPY POWER (edited April 09, 2001).]

wolf_Q
05-06-2001, 01:57 AM
Both of my dogs tails were cropped when we got them (schnauzer and poodle). Reggie's (schnauzer) ears are not cropped however, and I adore his big ears! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif I have a stupid question, has anyone ever seen a schnauzer without a cropped tail? Serious, that would be quite weird (and cute too I'm sure!)...I've seen poodles w/o cropped tails, and they look cute. My opinions on fancy haircuts: I don't think it should be a big deal, but some dogs, like the ones I have...if you DON'T clip their hair at least some, they get to looking like a big ball of scruff, their hair grows too fast. Reggie just gets the puppy cut, and with Smokey we usually just trim his hair down, and around his face and paws.

------------------
*Pet Portraits*
http://www.geocities.com/wolf_q/home.html

Iditarodfan
05-06-2001, 12:48 PM
Glad to see this topic has been raised. I am against cropping, docking & extreme hair cutting on dogs. Just as I am against "puppy mills" and breeders who are not responsible. I love my mutt, Molly G. and think most dogs were originally working dogs & thus they are intelligent & need activities to keep them from getting into trouble with intolerant people.
Happy Trails from an Iditarodfan http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

jackiesdaisy1935
05-06-2001, 01:03 PM
Wolf_Q I have never personally seen a Schnauzer with a natural tail, however I have seen them on the Schnauzer rescue where they have natural ears and tails. Daisy, like your schnauzer, has natural big ears and we love them, but her tail was docked when we got her. Perry came to us with ears cropped and tail already docked.
http://schnauzerville.homestead.com/files/doggy8.gif
http://schnauzerville.homestead.com/files/schnauzer.gif

wolf_Q
05-06-2001, 01:51 PM
Do anyone happen to have a pic of a schnauzer with a natural tail? Just curious, I'd like to see one. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

------------------
*Pet Portraits*

aly
05-06-2001, 02:21 PM
Tail docking and ear cropping I'd never do. Even if it was a pain-free procedure, I probably still wouldn't do it. I must admit I like the look of those cute stubby tails but I wouldn't have it done. I have nothing against fancy hair cuts. I personally don't really like them on my dogs though. I get Reece the puppy cut and even that is too froo froo for me. As long as it is not harmful to the dog though, I think any haircut is fine.

[This message has been edited by aly (edited May 06, 2001).]

4 feline house
05-06-2001, 05:23 PM
Not having dogs, I usually post on the cat side. Curious as to why the dog side has thousands more posts than the cat side, I thought I'd visit. Maybe it was good that I did.

Having once worked for a vet, I have been there when tails were docked and ears were cropped. I always had to run in the bathroom, turn on the water, and cover my ears to keep from hearing the little days old puppies scream. I wouldn't come out until the people were gone, making my boss check them out, because I could not look them in the eye.

Pam
05-06-2001, 06:43 PM
Being a poodle owner for the last 30 years I thought I'd weigh in here. Unless you know the breeder way ahead of time, before your puppy is born, by the time you get to see the litter the tails will have been cut and the dew claws removed. I really don't feel strongly here one way or the other. The breed is to have a certain look so it is done to conform. I have never shown my dogs so it really would not matter to me, but like I said the deed had already been done by the time I saw them.

As far as the fancy clipping goes, I have never had any of my dogs in anything but the puppy cut. It is an easy cut to maintain and I think it just looks nicer. I understand the possible need for the fancy cuts when a dog is being shown. I am sure it enables the judges to better discern the quality of the coats and also the skin under the coats since these cuts definitely reveal both. Even though these cuts are not my cup of tea, I do very much appreciate the time and patience and art work that it takes to create this look and I still root for them heartily at Westminster!! I even think that my dogs actually have felt better about themselves after their baths and grooming. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif My main complaint is the misplaced ideas about poodles that come from the "sissy" cuts. They are anything but sissy dogs. They are extremely intelligent dogs who are capable of doing most anything one would desire of them. The fancy cuts do give them a bad rap.

Corinna
05-06-2001, 06:53 PM
Ok I'm going to make some mad but as a springer and former cocker owner. I'm with the going a head and crop and dock.
Ear cropping saves lots of ear problems (having a cronic sore ear kid I know) I had a cocker that didn't have a docked tail and one who did, long tail always full of feces. Sorry but for health reasons I'm for it.

wolf_Q
05-08-2001, 03:47 PM
I agree with you, poodles get such a bad rep! I've been made fun of before because I own a poodle. My dog is NOT prissy. He *prefers* to lay in the dirt, dig in the mud and he can fetch sticks in the lake like any retriever! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif (and he is 15 years old mind you) I will say one thing though, poodles are demanding, at least mine is...if he wants something, he TELLS you.

My main complaint is the misplaced ideas about poodles that come from the "sissy" cuts. They are anything but sissy dogs. They are extremely intelligent dogs who are capable of doing most anything one would desire of them. The fancy cuts do give them a bad rap.[/B]

------------------
*Pet Portraits*