PDA

View Full Version : Changing Of The Litter

K & L
06-13-2003, 02:12 PM
We change 9 boxes daily. They say to have one litter box per cat...but since ours have access to outdoors (via cat run) we feel these are adequate.

Lerah021399
06-13-2003, 02:19 PM
we have two boxes...one for each cat. My husband completely cleans out the boxes and changes the litter weekly. Of course he scoops the stuff out daily.

NoahsMommy
06-13-2003, 02:22 PM
We scoop our five litter boxes daily. We have one out in the cat enclosure that we scoop as needed.

Catsnclay
06-13-2003, 02:24 PM
I've heard that rule too, but we only have 2 boxes for 3 kittys and that seems to be plenty. They are the huge boxes, since both Lucky & Fluffy are both around 20 lbs each. I clean it out nightly and monthly we actually clean & disinfect the boxes (unless someone decides to dirty the box!) Plus I'm usually in there after "someone" uses the box to cover and spray.....P-U! :o :eek:

PayItForward
06-13-2003, 02:28 PM
We have 2 litter trays for big cats and two small ones for kitten. This is plenty as our cats also go outside.

ScantyNebula
06-13-2003, 02:52 PM
We scoop Toby's litter daily, and we have litter that stays clean and lasts a while, so we do a full litter change close to monthly

mruffruff
06-13-2003, 03:07 PM
I have 7 large litter boxes and 1 small one for 8 cats. I use a scoopable scented litter and scoop twice a day. Every week, I change all of the litter.

Of course, most of them would rather go outside in the pen---which I scoop once a week. But I still haven't been able to eliminate the odor outside. I've been using Arm & Hammer cat deodorizer, but it hasn't helped a lot.

Mary

kimlovescats
06-13-2003, 03:09 PM
Hubby scoops first thing when he gets home every morning.... and we do a complete dump every Friday! ;)

ramanth
06-13-2003, 03:15 PM
I scoop daily but change the litter weekly.

jenluckenbach
06-13-2003, 03:50 PM
14 litter boxes......scooped twice daily. But I do not actually empty and change them as often as a lot of people do.

rosethecopycat
06-13-2003, 04:00 PM
I have three boxes available for four cats. But, as soon as the fosters are let out into the house, they all use the one box. Four on one box!
:eek:

Eh, what are ya gonna do?

Cookiebaker
06-13-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
I scoop daily but change the litter weekly.

Yup, us too!!

Cataholic
06-13-2003, 07:02 PM
I have six boxes for six cats. Minnie's is 'private' , in her closet. I scoop daily but, I don't change the litter ANYWHERE near the frequency that you all do. I bet I don't change out the litter but maybe 3 times a year.....and, no, my house doesn't smell like a cat box....

Cookiebaker
06-13-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I have six boxes for six cats. Minnie's is 'private' , in her closet. I scoop daily but, I don't change the litter ANYWHERE near the frequency that you all do. I bet I don't change out the litter but maybe 3 times a year.....and, no, my house doesn't smell like a cat box....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cataholic
06-13-2003, 09:03 PM
I'm tellin' ya...it is the truth. I cannot believe how often you guys change your litter. You all must own stock in a dessert.

I think I will buy some extra litter tomorrow and change it all over. I will admit it is nicer when it is fresh. I always add more litter in....I just don't change it ALL out....

Fuzzy317
06-13-2003, 10:28 PM
I picked daily, because we use scoopable litter. We have 4 cats, and 2 litter boxes. I try and scoop each box once per day. We change to totally new litter once a year.

Cookiebaker
06-13-2003, 10:31 PM
What brand of litter do you guys use? We use sprinkle the bottom with baking soda, and use clumpable litter (I can't remember the brand off the top of my head) but if we don't change it every 1-2 weeks at the most, you can definitely start to smell the amonia of urine.

kathyhimmer
06-13-2003, 10:35 PM
I use the cheap clay litter and a small garden trowel to clean it twice a day. It only smells when I am "disturbing" the litter.

Fuzzy317
06-13-2003, 10:37 PM
We use Tidy Cat Scoopable. Sometimes I get the "odor-control" and sometimes the "multicat" versions. With 4 cats and scooping every day, I don't notice much smell.

ScantyNebula
06-13-2003, 10:39 PM
we did use silica crystals for Toby's litter .. but after a couple months of use we noticed it would be really dirty and yellow from not being able to scoop out the pee .. so we switched to fine litter called "Maxx Scoop" I really like it so far .. only downfall is the litter sticks to his paws easily!

kathyhimmer
06-13-2003, 10:43 PM
In the houseware sections of the large hardware stores, there are shelf papers of various kinds. I found a kind that is a plastic open weave. It's real purpose is to keep things from sliding as you open and close drawers, but putting it around the outside edges of the litter box gets the litter off of the cat's feet.

marysmerrycats
06-13-2003, 11:07 PM
I voted weekly, was the only close choice, but I actually do it every 2 weeks, clean the boxes and put all fresh litter.
I scoop them twice a day, I have 3 large boxes for the 5 cats. I will add fresh litter sometimes when needed.their vet says to have a box for each cat plus an extra one, but 3 works out just fine for them.

about every 2-3 days I have sweep and lightly mop (swiffer mop with chlorox wipe)
and once a month I do a "total cleaning" where I shut the kitties out of the bathroom (after I move the boxes to the hall) and use the good mop and bucket with a little bleech in the water, have to clean the counter , sink and tub too.

marysmerrycats
06-13-2003, 11:15 PM
how much litter do you have to buy each week/month?

I buy tidy cats, and i buy about 4 of the containers with the handle each month . each container will fill 2 of the boxes.

marysmerrycats
06-13-2003, 11:28 PM
We change to totally new litter once a year

a year?

In the houseware sections of the large hardware stores, there are shelf papers of various kinds. I found a kind that is a plastic open weave. It's real purpose is to keep things from sliding as you open and close drawers, but putting it around the outside edges of the litter box gets the litter off of the cat's feet.

good idea! I have a kitty mat, but that is a great idea, I think I will buy some tomorrow.:)
I hate the way the hall is full of litter all the time, they track it out from the bathroom.

kathyhimmer
06-13-2003, 11:32 PM
Now you'll just have to hope they don't decide they don't like how it feels and hop over it!

marysmerrycats
06-13-2003, 11:35 PM
:eek: they just might too!

shais_mom
06-13-2003, 11:56 PM
I don't scoop, unless it over whelms me when I open the door of the closet. And I change litter every Wed. (day before trash day!)
I use Tidy Cat either mult cat formula or antibacterial formula.
I don't know how much I go thru b/c I try to always keep an extra bag on hand, but I would say 20# every month and a half or 2 mos.

The Cat Factory
06-14-2003, 12:26 AM
I have 6 litter boxes, they are scooped daily and the litter is changed about once a month. I use Swheat Scoop litter :D

Nomilynn
06-14-2003, 01:27 AM
I scoop every day or every other day, depending on how "full" it is. I have four boxes for three cats, and sometimes they don't even use one or two of the boxes.

I dump it all out and add all new every 4-5 months or so. It really doesn't smell, unless I'm scooping and break up a clump.

I use Purina Maxx Cat Scoop for multiple cats, and I swear by it. It doens't stink, it isn't too dusty, and it clumps really really well.

jenluckenbach
06-14-2003, 06:08 AM
I don't really keep track of how often I dump the clumping litter. Possibly 4 times a year (maybe only 3 :o ). I use the cheapest stuff I've found. It is called Premium Scooping Litter. It comes in 40 pound bags At $6,98 each and I usually buy 3 bags every month just to top off the boxes.:D I only have odor right after someone poops and doesn't cover :mad: . The fosters have to use clay due to the babies and I am dumping that about every day or two.

Cataholic
06-14-2003, 09:48 AM
I switch brands...depending what is on sale. I really wonder if you guys need to be switching out the litter as often as you do. I really don't notice the smell...unless, as someone says, I break up a clump.

I do scoop every single day, in the am...and maybe 1 time a week at night too. I always add fresh litter to keep the boxes full- approx 3 inches of sand. I will notice an odor if the box gets too low...

I haven't EVER changed the litter as much as some of you guys do. I really haven't ever had the smell of cat in my house.

marysmerrycats
06-14-2003, 11:59 AM
well I don't think it is just the smell, it gets dirty, the litter itself is just dirty.there are always little pieces that just don't seem to get scooped up. I have tried other brands, and the kind that the warehouse store, costco, makes is very good, as good as tidy cats, and its cheap for a large amount, BUT its too dusty, I don't want them breathing that. tidy cats is the best it only is slightly dusty when I pour it not when they cover or when I scoop.

Naomi, I might try that brand, it sounds good. I have tried so many and thought I had settled on tc but will try that kind...

Pam
06-14-2003, 12:07 PM
I scoop daily but, I don't change the litter ANYWHERE near the frequency that you all do. I bet I don't change out the litter but maybe 3 times a year.....and, no, my house doesn't smell like a cat box....

Same here Cataholic! I scoop at least once a day in the morning and if I happen to be downstairs (in the basement) during the day I might scoop again if I see something has been added. :o I keep about 3" of litter in their boxes and sometimes if I am going to do a change I'll pour the remaining contents of one box into the other one and refill the first one and vice versa. That way I am not refilling them both each time. The only time I have ever noticed an odor is right after someone does poopies and I happen to be there right after. :o I use Arm & Hammer and I really like the smell. :)

Nomilynn
06-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Mary I have never seen the Maxx Scoop brand of litter in the states. My mom, who lives in Oregon, uses Tidy Cats and it works about the same except it is a little more dusty than the Maxx Scoop. Let me know if you find it :)

marysmerrycats
06-14-2003, 04:45 PM
oh yeah, I forgot you are not in the states..lol oh well I like tidy cats

ScantyNebula
06-14-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
I scoop every day or every other day, depending on how "full" it is. I have four boxes for three cats, and sometimes they don't even use one or two of the boxes.

I dump it all out and add all new every 4-5 months or so. It really doesn't smell, unless I'm scooping and break up a clump.

I use Purina Maxx Cat Scoop for multiple cats, and I swear by it. It doens't stink, it isn't too dusty, and it clumps really really well.

It IS good litter, I just started using it with Toby and I find it to be the best yet

Nomilynn
06-14-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by ScantyNebula
It IS good litter, I just started using it with Toby and I find it to be the best yet

After doing much bargain hunting, I've found Walmart to have the best price for it, and Safeway is the most expensive :) Hopefully that can help you out some :)

Cataholic
06-14-2003, 09:10 PM
OK>>>>>> six clean litter boxes...scrubbed clean, wiped dry, and filled with new litter. My hands hurt, stink, and feel tight and dry..but, it is all about the cats, isnt it?

Cinder & Smoke
06-14-2003, 09:19 PM
OK>>>>>> six clean litter boxes...
scrubbed clean, wiped dry, and filled with new litter.
My hands hurt, stink, and feel tight and dry...

:eek:
EE-Gadz! Dont tell our Boots!
HIZ sandy-box ovurhaul izint scheduled till next weekend! :(

Iffin he heerz bout this -
he'll be leavin a *pee* Note fur Dad in frunt of da box! :p

PS: Whut'd Binx get inna deal? ;)

Uabassoon
06-14-2003, 09:24 PM
I try to scoop daily but I don't change all the litter very often. Maybe once a month or so.

lizbud
06-14-2003, 09:36 PM
I have 5 boxes for 4 cats(inside) and 3 boxes for 3 cats (ouside)
in the garage. I scoop them all everyday. Litter is changed
once a week for the inside cats & every few months for the
outside cats. If I can walk into the house & smell "kitties" I
know the boxes are overdue for a change of litter.:D

ScantyNebula
06-14-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
After doing much bargain hunting, I've found Walmart to have the best price for it, and Safeway is the most expensive :) Hopefully that can help you out some :)

LOL thats funny, I just went out to Walmart tonight and saw it there much cheaper than it was at the grocery store! :) As i mentioned before, the only complaint is where its so fine it sticks to his paws easily, but kudos to it for being not so stinky!

krazyaboutkatz
06-15-2003, 12:06 AM
I have two extra giant litter boxes for 4 cats and I also keep about 2-3 inches of litter in them. I scoop once a day and I use Ever Clean Unscented Extra Strength Formula and sometimes the scented kind too. It's quite expensive at Petco but I've found it to be only 10.99 normally or 8.99 on sale at Pet Club for a 25lb box. I never change all of the litter completely unless I change to a different brand or unless it smells very bad. I also use litter box liners so the urine and poop never touches the litter boxes so odor doesn't become embedded into the plastic. The litter also lasts a long time. I add a little bit to the litter boxes about every 2 weeks or so.

I've tried many kinds of litter and have found that Ever Clean is much less dusty, clumps very hard, and controls odor very well. My cats also seem to like it and usually cover up all of their poop now. :D