PDA

View Full Version : sad news....

lovemyshiba
06-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Last week, I posted that my neighbors had gotten a dog for the family. Marley, the black lab, went back yesterday:(
The good news is, he went back into foster care, not into a kill shelter, but unfortunately, this was his 4th or 5th home.
I don't understand why they even got him. They have 2 cats, and the dad doesn't even like dogs. I think a puppy or a smaller breed may have been a better idea, or nothing at all.
Apparently he nipped one of the kids, and bit the older daughter (she's 15), while she was trying to put the leash on him.

Poor guy, he was so sweet. I loved him to death. If he got loose from their house, he would run and sit at our front door--we only met him a couple times, so I don't really know why he did it, but it was sweet.

They had adopted him through PAWS, who told them that he would be a great family dog. He is a year and a half old labrador, and they never mentioned that he is still a pup. These people wanted an adult dog, and a lab at 18 months is not. He had lived with one man before, a guy getting his masters, and unfortunately, when he gratuated, he couldn't take Marley. His girlfriend took him, but she couldn't keep him either, so he went to live at a frat house, before they gave him to PAWS. The man fostering him owns a kennel, and fosters their dogs a lot. He said Marley was definitely a one man dog , and he was surprised it took them this long to bring him back--he shouldn't have been adopted out as a "perfect family dog" without some training.:mad:

The whole situation makes me very sad--I didn't think they should have gotten a dog in the first place, since the dad doesn't like dogs, but they did, and poor Marley thought he had a home for a week:(

And, I'm sure some of you may be wondering, they were prohibited from giving Marley to anyone else, under the contract they signed, that's why I don't have a fourth:)

GSDgurl
06-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Awww that is sad~!! Poor lil guy....just wanted a home...:( I feel soo sorry for marley n' I hope he finds the right home soon~!!

Lots of love n' prayers to Marley~!

anna_66
06-13-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba

And, I'm sure some of you may be wondering, they were prohibited from giving Marley to anyone else, under the contract they signed, that's why I don't have a fourth:)
I kinda figured;)
I hope that this guy can find a wonderful forever home soon.

tatsxxx11
06-13-2003, 04:31 PM
Oh, this makes me so sad and frustrated! I work in Lab rescue (North East All Retriever Rescue www.nearr.com ) and every day I have to smooth the ruffled feathers of irrate applicants, annoyed that we refuse to adopt out a specific dog to them. We've learned the hard way...a young adult or puppy Lab is NOT the dog for an inexperienced dog family who is unfamiliar with the breed temperament, has infants, toddlers or young children and no fenced in yard! Like PAWS, our contracts guarantee that the adopter will return the dog to us if they must surrender. We work very hard to make a true and lasting "love match" fitting the needs/lifestyle of the family with the temperament and needs of the dog. And we require within 1 month, the dog be enrolled in obedience training. I hope this time around Marley finds that special home that can give him the attention he deserves! So many homes in his short 18 mos. of life:(:(

ChloeLove
06-13-2003, 04:45 PM
:(

Rachel
06-14-2003, 03:49 PM
I share your emotions on this situation. Thankfully labs are resilient, but they are also looking for love. I do hope this sweet guy will find the love everlasting that he needs so he can learn to trust and feel secure. So sad.

Sandra, thanks to you, there are other youngins being spared this fate.