PDA

View Full Version : Prairie Dog Problems!

luckycharm1313
10-21-2001, 01:58 AM
I'm having major issues with my prairie dog, Terkina. She is about 6 months old and she can't stand me. She tries to run away every time I try to hold her. She doesn't bite me, but she's not friendly at all. Is there any way to solve my problem, or am I stuck with a vicious/paranoid prairie dog for the rest of her life?? Somebody please help!!!
~*~Caitlin~*~ :(

Eudora
10-21-2001, 03:58 AM
i'm not very sure... I've never owned a prairie dog. Did you try talking to an animal trainer or your vet? And maybe you should start off slow - make sure you see her everyday as often as possible with some small treat or something to get her to like you. It worked for my friend's pet terrapin when it hated her.

Karen
10-21-2001, 01:29 PM
How long have you had her? What is her and your daily routine like? Describe more of the situation, and we'll be able to help more. One thing I will say, off the bat, is that some creatures (some cats, bunnies, etc.) just do NOT like being held, no matter how much they love you.

Stenograsaurus
10-23-2001, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Karen:
<STRONG>One thing I will say, off the bat, is that some creatures (some cats, bunnies, etc.) just do NOT like being held, no matter how much they love you.</STRONG>

I have a Husky who is like that. He is not the cuddly type. He will sometimes run from me. When I come home, he's all excited to see me for like five seconds and then he's done. If he's on the bed and I lay beside him to pet him, he jumps off. I know he loves me. He's just not a cuddly dog. Fortunately Patience makes up for it. She cuddles enough for the both of them!!