PDA

View Full Version : Pro Heart 6

ramanth
06-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Forms.... forms.... and more forms....

oiy.

I talked to Kia's vet today and I was reminded about why I like her so much. She wanted to know how Kia was doing and was very helpful in getting me all the infomation I needed.

Kia's distemper injection also came from Fort Dodge (the makers of Pro Heart 6). The Bordetella vacc came from Intratrac II and was given nasally.

Dr. Kuschel told me that the next 6 months are crucial. The PH6 is still in her for this amount of time and it's possible that she could have another reaction (seizure, vomiting, diarrhea, ect.)

I'm in the process of reporting Kia's reaction to PH6 to the FDA.

Jean Brudd, one of the creaters of http://www.protectyourdog.com has had aprox. 31 Adverse Reactions and 30 deaths reported to her, with more reports coming in daily. :(

We don't want anymore people to go thru what we did.

Warn your friends and neighbors. This drug should not be on the market.

Aspen and Misty
06-11-2003, 12:19 PM
I've been telling any one and everyone I met who has a dog. I saw what Kia had to go through and don't want any other dog to go through that, the poor baby. What I don't understand is why vets still use it!!!

Ash

tatsxxx11
06-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Kimmy, yesterday while at the vet's with Cody, I asked Dr. Paul about the Pro Heart 6. His practice still refuses to administer it. They are a very cautious group and they believe not enough testing, evaltuation, etc. has been done as yet to allow them to prescribe it with confidence. Something he said really surprised me. According to him, the Pro Heart 6 requires sensitivity testing BEFORE each injection to determine if your dog might have a negative reaction. They inject a small amt., then wait 1-2 days...if no reaction, you need to return for the full dose. I don't remember you mentioning if your vet had recommended that. According to Dr. Paul, that is what the manufacaturer strongly recommends as well! Prayers continue for Kia's FULL recovery.

lovemyshiba
06-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Kimmy,
Please post any addresses or telepone numbers you have for any of us to call or write. If it will help get this terrible thing off the market, I know everyone will do it.
I have been telling everyone I know with dogs about Proheart, and I was even thinking of sending the negative info to all of the vets in my area, to any that carry it. I know my vet carries it, and I will definitely be speaking to her about it. There is a vet who comes into my work every Wednesday night, and I will be speaking with him this evening.

My prayers continue for Kia's full recovery, I think of her every day.

ramanth
06-11-2003, 02:36 PM
I have a few word documents given to me by Jean that I plan to convert into Html and then link from my site. I just got swamped with work so for now I just have a warning at Kia's website.

Here's some links that were given to me:

http://www.i-dog.com/board/messages/46/18660.html?

http://forum.dogomania.com/viewtopic.php?t=1371

http://bewareofproheart6.freecyberzone.com

http://concernedvet.netfirms.com/index.html

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/announcements/ivermectin/ownerinfo.html

www.fda.gov/cvm/index/ade/ade_web_rpts.pdf (This is a download that takes some time. You must type in "moxidectin," then "parenteral" and then "dog." Then you will see the ailments and the figures of VOLUNTARILY reported cases. Most people probably don't know they can file such a report with the FDA, and some just do not choose to.

4 Dog Mother
06-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Four of my five have had Pro-Heart injections. When the vet first suggested we try it on Dazzi, she never mentioned any negative reactions and never did a sensitivity test on any of them.

I am ashamed to admit that someone did post something about negative reactions right here on Pet Talk not all that long ago and I did not read it completely becasue I have one of the slowest connections that exist on my computer. I did ask the vet again about her feelings on Pro-Heart as the dogs each came up with needing it this spring. She again said she had never seen a negative reaction and she felt that a slight reaction would be better than not remembering to give a pill and having your dog contract heartworm. Obviously she is not up on what those reactions can be.

I do have a lousy memory but I have decided that I would rather working harder at "remembering" than risking any of my dogs lives or health.

Thanks Kimmy and thanks Karen and Paul for giving us this forum to let others know of problems, risks and giving each other support as we go through these type of things that other people who are not pet owners can not even begin to understand.

Cincy'sMom
06-11-2003, 04:00 PM
Our vet had suggest it for Sadie abouta year ago, and I decided that it was too new, and I want more info before changing her (and fortunatly, I am good at remember dates!)

I have been mentioning Kia's reaction to everyone I talk to with dogs. I was talking to our neighbor a few night sago, who has an American Bulldog. he said he asked his vet in Pensecola Fl (before he moved here) about the shot and they said there will still some things they wanted to see worked out before they started to carry it. After telling him about kia, he said he'll just stick with the pills. Friends at work also said, had their vet mentioned the shot them, they would have gone for it for ease, but now they will not.

I am so sorry Kia had to go through this, but if there is a positive side, think of how many lives Kia may have saved. What a special girl!!!

mugsy
06-11-2003, 06:44 PM
We told our vet about Kia's reaction and he thanked us for telling him so he had more ammunition for people who insist on the shot. He refuses to give it too. He thinks the risks are too great and it doesn't protect against all worms like the pills do.

Kia, I'm so sorry you had to go through this, but thank you for alerting us so all of the PT pooches can be safer. I hope you're feeling all better real soon.