PDA

View Full Version : Boo and the White Coats

Soledad
06-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Boo had the severe misfortune of going to the vet today. We had to make sure the little guy was up to date for all things American kitties need.

We had him microchipped, tested for Feline Leukemia, vaccinated for Feline AIDS, Rabies/Distemper and given a physical.

He was very good but generally unimpressed. It's so good to know that if he were to get outside somehow, he would be identifiable and protected against disease. It makes me feel a lot better, even if he has to undergo an afternoon of hell.

Boo weighed in at ten pounds, though the vet said he could stand to be eight. Any suggestions??

krazyaboutkatz
06-10-2003, 11:26 PM
I'm sorry that Boo had to go to the whitecoats today but it's for his own good. I'm glad that he's healthy. For weight control you can feed him a lite formula of cat food and I also think you should get him a brother or sister so he can have a playmate. This will help him lose weight too. :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-10-2003, 11:33 PM
I wonder why the vet said he could stand to be eight? How old is Boo?
Jupiter weighs 15 pounds and Tinky 10?!?!? I don't think my babies are overweight.....:confused:

But back on topic... I am glad Boo was a good kitty at the vets.... I think he may deserve an extra treat...;)

I also think you should get him a brother or sister so he can have a playmate.

hmmmmm....... YES... i think this is the best advice you are gonna get....;) :D

NoahsMommy
06-11-2003, 12:25 AM
That's strange. Do you think he needs to lose weight?? I think he looks great!

Kater
06-11-2003, 12:38 AM
If the vet wanted Boo to lose weight it is probably based on his body frame and ten pounds might be a bit heavy on his frame. I would suggest finding out what toys will make him play actively and try to do that every day. I think he'll prefer that to "lite" catfood. ;)

shais_mom
06-11-2003, 12:38 AM
Only thing I can suggest is using the lite formula of his food. And I am sure that you already play with him everyday. Maybe supervised walks on leash around the yard??? :confused:

Kylie weighed in at 14 pounds at her last visit.

emily_the_spoiled
06-11-2003, 07:24 AM
Before you switch him over to the lite food you might want to wait until you are back in the US. You may find that during the trip he will lose weight from not eating. It is a long a stressful journey...

Cataholic
06-11-2003, 07:26 AM
Of course Boo would behave at the vets....he is very worldly now, and a trip to the white coats shouldn't phase him....as to weight...I am thinking the vet must have had a reason to say that. Boo must be a little kitty?? Did the vet caution you against any sort of rapid weight loss? Kitties develop fatty liver disease, which is life threatening, with quick weight loss. I would begin by switching him to 'lite' food, the same amount you feed him now, and slowly slowly decreasing it. Two pounds seems like a lot of weight loss for a kitty that weighs in at 10. None of mine have been intimate with the number 10 for quite some time, save for Tex.

Soledad
06-11-2003, 10:52 AM
Well, Boo is already on Science Diet Light. He used to be bigger and we were successful in trimming him up a bit.

I'm worried that he'll get bigger now that he's an indoor only cat and he doesn't seem too crazed over toys. I guess I'm forced into getting another cat as soon as we settle down in Washington. :p

Boo is rather small. He's short, but long and there's no way he could weigh 16 pounds and still be mobile. I'm sure we'll find a way. :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-11-2003, 07:26 PM
and he doesn't seem too crazed over toys.

do you have one of those laser pens? Tinky and Jupiter go CRAZY for it and run like crazy,.... most cats i've heard really like it and that will help him get some exercise.

tatsxxx11
06-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Boo, Oliver here. Sorry you had so suffer the indignities and the TORTURE of a day at the white coats!!:eek: But, as my Mommy tells, me, it's all for my own good!:rolleyes: As for the weight "thing..." I'm a bit on the diminutive side myself, and I weigh in at 8lbs. I think you look great just the way you are!