PDA

View Full Version : search and rescue dogs for DC&NY

joycenalex
09-12-2001, 05:30 PM
the search and rescue and cadaver dogs that are in DC and NY are going to need food, boots to protect their feet from the glass and sleep mats and health care. does ANYONE know where the dog community can donate directly for those dogs who are serving our country so well these next days and weeks.

Cinder & Smoke
09-12-2001, 06:55 PM
A Wonderful idea, but after you learn how well organized and trained these Search Dogs and their Handlers are, you'll understand that they won't be lacking for food, creature comforts, or safety equipment. The Urban Search and Rescue Teams (and Dogs) are air lifted in huge Air Force or National Guard transport planes; their equipment is carried in multiple tractor trailer sized cargo boxes to the disaster site. The Dogs have a complete assortment of safety gear - foot guards, body vests (both cooling and protective types), lifting and lowering slings, kennels, sleeping pads, first aid supplies, food and water containers and dishes, and favorite treats - everything they and their human handlers will need to survive in any environment for weeks of deployment. Each of the Dogs is a Handler's family pet and is never knowlingly exposed to unnecessary risk and danger. Their greatest risk is from the shifting of the building debris they are searching in.

Here's a link to the FEMA page that deals with the K-9 Search & Rescue Dogs: http://www.fema.gov/mobex/about3.htm

Here's the FEMA press release about the current Team deployments:
"FEMA has deployed eight Urban Search & Rescue teams US&R) to New York City to search for victims in the affected buildings. US&R teams are specially trained teams that include engineers and other technical experts as well as specially trained search dogs. Another four teams have been deployed to the Pentagon, for search and rescue efforts here. Four other teams are standing by."

And here's the link to a Pet Talk posting about other ways you can help: "How you can help!" (http://PetoftheDay.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=21&t=000254)

One thing that will help - Say a Prayer for the Search Dogs and their Handlers!

Cinder & Smoke
09-12-2001, 07:22 PM
Joyce n Alex ~

Forgive us, we didn't notice you're from Columbus. You live near the home of the Ohio US&R Task Force #1 - the Miami Valley US&R Team!

They (had) a great web site; complete with pictures of their Dog Teams - but it's undergoing renovations and there isn't much to see right now. Here are some links to follow...
The Ohio / Miami Valley team pages are at:http://www.ohtf1.com/
The Federal FEMA page that has click-links to many of the other US Team web sites is at:http://www.fema.gov/usr/tasklist.htm.

The Ohio Task Force Team is on the way to New York. You might try to contact them when they return from this deployment and ask if there is any way you could assist them in the future. Let us know if you can't contact them - we know a couple Columbus Firefighters who are Task Force members and could help with reaching the Dog Handler members.

Sudilar
09-12-2001, 07:53 PM
I really admire the SAR teams. Good luck to you all.

joycenalex
09-12-2001, 08:14 PM
thank you phred. i am watching the videos of FDNY team attaching an american flag to what is left of the antenna that was on top of building one. that antenna is at ground level. my heart is breaking.

delidog
09-13-2001, 03:55 AM
thank you phred...great info....i know that you are a firefighter....my heart goes out to the victims and their families of those brave firefighters and police officers we lost at the wtc...as you watch the photos of all the people running out of the building...your brothers were running in!!! the bravery!!!! i am not undermining the civillian victims...as i pray for them also...i just admire and respect the courage of the firefighters and policemen on the scene...they are so underpaid for their jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the deli dog!!!!!

Angels3
09-13-2001, 06:46 AM
Phred, that's right...you are a firefighter. It is your brothers who are the heroes in the horrors following the terrorist attacks.
Our US friends, Iris & Jim, sent us an email with the most wonderful photo of 3 firefighters running up the American flag among the ruins of the New York buildings . It shows the wonderful American spirit that no terrorist can break. You've probably been sent this great pic, too.

Rottie
09-13-2001, 10:04 AM
Here's a message I got through email today.

One of the stations covering the disasters reported that the dogs currently on scene were going through booties at an amazing rate. They were wrapping burlap around the dogs feet/legs which was slowing things down
considerably.

Requests are being made for booties. They stated to "clearly" identify the packages as Rescue Dog Supplies and send to:

New York City Offices
c/o Search and Response
Chambers Street
New York, NY 10007

The 'booties needed' post makes me think that just maybe the same search dogs will need vet wrap, antibiotic ointment, electrolyte solutions, duct tape, Pet Tabs, complete diets like 'Oinker Roll,' disposable food and water bowls, shampoo ... Now this is something we can ALL do.

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: Rottie ]

Cinder & Smoke
09-13-2001, 11:23 AM
Everyone ~ PLEASE read...

Dad just (11:44 AM) called FEMA Headquarters in Washington, DC, about the US&R Dog Teams needing supplies. Here's the official response from the US&R Team Coordinator:

"There WAS a brief period of need for dog booties for some of the Dog Team crews. That need HAS BEEN REMEDIED by the on-site logistics people and there is NO NEED for ANY Dog Supplies or other equipment in either NYC or DC/Virginia."

The gal I spoke to said she had received e-mails and phone calls about this need but had not had time to check it out yet, but agreed to do it if I wanted to "hold". I said do it!

She returned and advised what I quoted above.
She did THANK us for our concern and desire to help; but said the original source of the news media's story (probably a Dog Handler) quite probably had exhausted his/her personal supply and had not or did not know WHERE to go on-site to replenish the supply. She hinted that with the TONS of supplies the each Team brings with them in their "Cache" of cargo containers, it happens that someone "needs" something that is really right there but can't be "found" at the moment.

That sorta sounds like Dad at the Shop :D.

Cinder & Smoke
09-13-2001, 01:34 PM
Here's another Search Dog story from NYC:

QUOTED from http://www.Firehouse.com

"Search Dogs Pour Into New York City
MICHAEL LUO
Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Search dogs and their handlers have poured into New York City to help recover the living and the dead from the terrorist-ravaged World Trade Center.

Pamela Moks, a veterinarian at a mobile animal emergency hospital parked near the disaster site, said Wednesday some 300 dogs were part of the rescue effort.

Like many search and rescue dog handlers, Sheriff's Sgt. Mike Goldberg, of Hampden
County, Mass., is skeptical of using more sophisticated technology.

"The equipment, the heat-seeking and infrared stuff, doesn't work," he said. "What works is a nose."

Goldberg arrived hours after the collapse and put his rescue dog, a 4-year-old Belgian
Malonois named Jacative, to work.

In the first 24-hour period, rescuers and their animals brought out about half a dozen
survivors and numerous body parts. Also on the scene were "cadaver dogs", trained to track the scent of death.

The normal method is for heavy equipment to move aside beams and large pieces of concrete in an area, after which dogs and handlers begin searching in teams of four.

Every time a dog comes off the job it undergoes a health check at the mobile clinic, which is housed in an air-conditioned bus. It has 20 cages, four operating stations and x-ray facilities.

Moks said, "the things we are most concerned about are smoke inhalation and dust in their eyes". Vets also fear the long-term effects of exposure to asbestos.

"Think about how important this is", said Mike Shorter, a veterinarian from Manhattan. "The dogs are the front line."" end Firehouse.com quote

GO, Dawgs!

karen israel
09-13-2001, 03:00 PM
MAY GOD BLESS AND SHELTER FROM HARM ALL THE AMAZING HUMANS AND K9'S[B]WHO ARE RISKING THEIR LIVES ON BEHALF OF HUMANITYYOU HAVE MY UPMOST RESPECT AND ADMIRATION

Daisy's Mom
09-13-2001, 09:01 PM
Same for me. Well put, Karen.

Corinna
09-13-2001, 11:01 PM
Has any one seen if black paws rescues there. They are a group of newfys that train about 15 miles from me . They are amazing to watch Better watch out cinder and smoke dad will have you in more classes as arson dogs We have a friend who has one in Washington state. She is remarkable can scent out 150 different oders of fire accelerates. Shes a chocolate lab.
Merlins working on tracking (more than the food dish) I thought it would help both of us lose weight . I had one blind tracker she loved the job so much.
Phred,my hubby is a ex fire fighter and we are really praying and understanding how the guys are feeling. Prayers with you and you company as they feel the pain of these losses. I spent 2hours crying at the 2 mintue clip of Father Mikes funeral today.God bless you all.

Albea
09-14-2001, 12:07 PM
Karen just said it. May God protect and keep from harm all the rescue dogs and their handlers, as well as the firefighters, medical technicians and everybody involved in this extraordinary effort.

Dixieland Dancer
09-14-2001, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by K9karenI:
<STRONG>MAY GOD BLESS AND SHELTER FROM HARM ALL THE AMAZING HUMANS AND K9'S[B]WHO ARE RISKING THEIR LIVES ON BEHALF OF HUMANITYYOU HAVE MY UPMOST RESPECT AND ADMIRATION</STRONG>

Double Amen from us!

Sudilar
09-15-2001, 04:27 PM
Same here from us, Karen!

Here's a report that I got off another BB from a person with SAR.

This is cross posted with permission from Judi. She is a member of another
&gt;list I'm on and she is in NY with her dog a Irish Setter. Please cross post
&gt;and get the word out to be careful who you send money to.
&gt;
&gt;In a message dated 9/14/2001 6:51:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
&gt;
&gt;First off,
&gt; I AM BACK.
&gt; I WILL post more later about our sleeping Giant. (NYC)
&gt; Here is information that I can bring from the Front Lines.
&gt; Apparently ( after reading through about thirty emails on this tragedy)
&gt; there is some confusion on what is needed and how to help.
&gt; Here is the Front Line info.
&gt; FIRST: IMPORTANT
&gt; The presence of the USHS is very propminent. Their representatives are
&gt; there NOT to help us in caring for our dogs.........which in MY opinion
&gt; should be a big part of what they are for........
&gt; They are there to REPORT on the conditions under which we work our dogs.
&gt;(In
&gt; my opinion they are there to criticize how we treat our dogs. When they
&gt;only
&gt; see the tiniest part of our dogs lives.
&gt; They are ALSO THERE to COLLECT MONEY!
&gt; We are almost all of the same thoughts about this. (the active search
&gt;teams)
&gt; We wilkl in all likeliness never see that money ourselves, I understand
&gt; companies have donated products such as booties WHICH ARE NEEDED. 40
&gt;Pairs
&gt; of Muttluks were delivered in the names of Sue Burnham (IS) David Buzzel
&gt; (Working Collie Assoc.) Marcia Callerns (pvt)
&gt; Donald Bayly (we can guess who he is) Greyson industries (pvt) Mackell,
&gt;Dyer
&gt; and Haupt (law firm MI.) On behald of all the supporting agencies we thank
&gt; you. Copper's Muttluks were worn but still very useable so I did not take
&gt;my
&gt; pair, as there will be others who will need them. I may need them in round
&gt; two. There is promis of more.
&gt;
&gt; Money donated should go to the City Offices address that has been posted
&gt; New York City Offices
&gt; c/o search and response (K-9)
&gt; 61 Chambers St. New York, NY 10007
&gt;
&gt; OR supplies could be sent if your state's National Guard is sending
&gt; responders directly to the scene.
&gt;
&gt; Info on
&gt; the National Disaster Search Dog Foundation
&gt; This is ONE individual search dog faction located in Calif.
&gt; Right now they do not even have a presence in NYC. They have only 6 dogs
&gt;in
&gt; their foundation, all of which are well equipt. I believe that they also
&gt;get
&gt; funding from United Way.)
&gt; Any funding sent to them at their Calif address will be applied to keeping
&gt; up search classes and paying for seminars and training exercises. I am not
&gt; sure if individual handlers get any funds from a pool or not. THEY
&gt;indicate
&gt; that the members make their own equipment purchases.
&gt; I am not undermining their cause, but informing list members that money
&gt;sent
&gt; to this organization funds this organization ONLY and not the whole SAR
&gt;K-9
&gt; efforts in NYC.
&gt; I would not advise sending money to HSUS and be aware that PETA is there
&gt;as
&gt; well. I'm sure that they are using this advantage to ask for funds. they
&gt; are using their efforts NOT to make sure that the animals are ethically
&gt; treated (as their name suggests) They are fighting the domineering Search
&gt; and rescue K-9 handlers for forcing these "magnificent animals" into
&gt; hazardous and even life threatening situations. (Like we too are not there
&gt; by their sides) I have no doubt that they will share in funds from HSUS.
&gt;
&gt; Things that ARE NEEDED:
&gt; Bandages and vet wrap. Some are using this to wrap dogs legs so they don't
&gt; get scraped up, bandaging long ears. (two cockers !!! yes American cocker
&gt; Spaniels with ears shaved but also wrapped.
&gt; We don't really like to use Red Cross services or hospitals services for
&gt; things like blisters and general scrapes etc...so bandaids are useful and
&gt; dressings antibiotic ointments, etc. Ours ran dangerously low.
&gt; ANY electrolyte solutions for the DOGS. (Some for people too wouldn't
&gt;hurt.)
&gt; I left a box and a half of Zukes Power Bones Dog energy bars but donations
&gt; of more wouldn't hurt.
&gt; Again.......if there are any search teams going to this area, send items
&gt; with them as they will get there sooner. Not just K-9 search but Fire
&gt;Dept,
&gt; Urban search and disaster search groups can all transport into that area.
&gt; TRASH BAGS! for personal trash...The RATS are incredible in the rubble
&gt;area
&gt; now. (something I never anticipated...(there is always more to learn)
&gt;
&gt; WE DO appreciate every effort that is made on our behalf. and Thank-you
&gt;for
&gt; everyone that has helped out with phone calls to corporate entities,
&gt;support
&gt; funding and all the emotional support too.
&gt; Judi And Copper
&gt; Boston Urban Search and Rescue Task Force
&gt; Massachussetts Urban Search & Rescue Task Force (MA-TF1)
&gt; NYC WTC Debris Search Team

crow_noir
09-16-2001, 01:39 AM
wow

...makes you wonder if sadly the rats are going to get to the bodies before the rescue teams do.

crow_noir
09-16-2001, 10:25 PM
just so you know Sudilar, i cross posted the e-mail over to a few of my forums on Delphi.

Cinder & Smoke
09-18-2001, 11:58 AM
K-9 SAR Dog & Handler on duty in NYC

Here's One of the Many, on "The Pile" in New York City...

Photo from http://www.Firehouse.com

http://www.firehouse.com/terrorist/images/17_Fsar.jpg

Caption:
"Massachusetts Search and Rescue Teams continue to search for survivors amidst the wreckage at the World Trade Center." Photo by Andrea Booher / FEMA News Photo

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: Cinder & Smoke ]

Pam
09-18-2001, 02:42 PM
Phred I just want to say that I am honored to have met you here at Pet Talk. I don't think most of us realize the risk that firefighters take each and every day, not just in such a disaster as this one. I heard someone say on TV the other day that though many people lost their lives last Tuesday, the firefighters gave theirs up willingly as they attempted to rescue as many as they could. That statement really impacted me so much!! One man said as he was rushing down the stairs he passed the firefighters on the stairs rushing up. I thank God for people such as yourself who put the safety of others ahead of your own. You are all awesome and we humbly salute you!

Cinder & Smoke
09-18-2001, 03:02 PM
Dad sez "thanks, Pam", but...

The real SALUTE needs to go to the 300 FDNY Firefighters, and the other Emergency Services Personnel, who gave their Lives :( that others might live...

May we Never Forget.

Cinder & Smoke
09-18-2001, 03:40 PM
Another FEMA SAR K-9 in Action on "The Pile"...

Photo from http://www.Firehouse.com

http://www.firehouse.com/terrorist/images/18_Pfemadogs.jpg

Caption:
"Urban Search and Rescue teams work with their dogs to uncover victims following Tuesday's attack in the World Trade Center."

Photo by: Andrea Booher/FEMA News Photo

Pam
09-18-2001, 07:35 PM
I heard this on the news tonight as well. Thankfully people are trying to keep one step ahead (hopefully) of these creeps. Also saw a report that said sales of firearms, ammunition, canned goods, bottled water & TVs were way up this past weekend.

mkgwolf
09-19-2001, 04:50 PM
I live 30 miles from Washington DC so this area was really hit bad. Lots of people around here work at the Pentagon, I think there is about 24,000 working in the whole building. I saw in the local newspaper today that 3 local people are dead. One is my neighbor's friends's Mom. My friend's dad was 300 hundred ft from the point of impact and he got out all right thankfully. Its just unreal and unbelievable how close this is to me. I never thought something like this would ever happen. My Dad works in DC but far enough away to be safe, and he said he could see the smoke rising. These acts of terroism left over 5,000 dead, we will bring those responsible to justice, whatever it takes.
-God Bless America-

Cinder & Smoke
09-20-2001, 09:17 AM
Another neat link :cool: to a Discovery article on Search & Rescue Dogs was posted by Angles3 (our Aussie Mate) on the Dog Rescue page. Here's the link to Discovery: Discovery: Rescue Dogs... (http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20010910/sardog.html).

That page links to another one explaining how the Collapse Rescue Teams operate and train.
Discovery: Collapse Rescue Teams... (http://tlc.discovery.com/tlcpages/rescue/rescue_main.html).

Thanks for finding these sites, Angles3. "Good on ya!" :D

Sudilar
09-20-2001, 07:15 PM
What a magnificent dog!!!! What a hero!

Cinder & Smoke
09-20-2001, 07:23 PM
Read about the Vet *MASH* unit set up inside the WTC restricted zone that is caring for the Search & Rescue Dogs.

Link: http://www.suffolkspca.org/index2.html

The page that covers the *MASH* unit won't always directly link; scroll down from the main page above and there is a click-link that does seem to work from the main page. In case it might work from here I'll try to insert it here:
the Mobile *MASH* Clinic (http://www.suffolkspca.org/mobileClinic.html)

These folks are accepting cash, check, or web donations; several methods are suggested in the main page.

Oops; forgot the photo page - looks like a lot of good pix, but I couldn't get them to enlarge. They might have a site problem or too much traffic. Try this link:
http://www.suffolkspca.org/pictures.html

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: Cinder & Smoke ]

lizbud
09-20-2001, 09:53 PM
Hi everyone,
Today in Indianapolis, the Marion County
Search and Rescue contingent came home to a
hero's welcome in downtown Indy.The Firefighters and S&R Teams were in New York
hours after the disaster,and just today were
able to be reunited with their families.The
event was widely covered in the local media,
and one scene on T.V. showed all personnel
standing for the Governor's remarks while
the camera panned down to show a little girl
kneeling next to a yellow Lab(K9 rescue).
When she reached out to the Lab,the dog
laid on it's side for a belly rub from the
child..It was quite a picture!!!

Cinder & Smoke
09-21-2001, 07:03 PM
Another news report on the Search Dogs in NYC:
link to Firehouse.com. (http://webpublisher.lexisnexis.com/index.asp?layout=story&gid=1990000599&cid=1600003560&did=441M-PKR0-006F-0493-00000-00)

Stay Safe, guys!

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: Cinder & Smoke ]

lizbud
09-21-2001, 07:32 PM
Many Thanks for the link to FIREHOUSE.COM
I neglected to mention Cinder & Smoke's
Dad, that I appreciated the earlier DISCOVERY links also. They were great sources of info
from 'the front line'. We All are so grateful
for people like You & your fellow Firefighters !!Thanks so much !!

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: lizbud ]

Cinder & Smoke
09-22-2001, 07:35 PM
Two pix of OHIO S&R Dogs on duty in New York City...

Here's Tascha
http://www.fema.gov/diz01/images/d1391p38.jpg

And here's Woody
http://www.fema.gov/diz01/images/d1391p37.jpg

Good Luck and Be Safe, guys.

auggie
09-22-2001, 08:02 PM
web page (http://apnews.iwon.com/apnews//20010919/ATTACKS_TRADE_CENTER_NYR118_20010919175205.html)

Phred, this Picture of a Ohio Rescue Worker and his Dog made me cry.

jackiesdaisy1935
09-22-2001, 08:46 PM
This is the first I checked into this post.,
Wonderful photos of the most brave rescue workers and their very brave canines. We owe them all a very large debt of graditude. God Bless them all, rescue workers, firemen, policemen and the wonderful caring dogs who all put their lives on the line.

Sudilar
09-22-2001, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all the great links and pics! I am just so impressed by what all those SAR teams do and their great dedication!!