PDA

View Full Version : feral cat colony

RICHARD
06-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Feral cat sanctuary recommended
By Mariel Garza
Staff Writer

A Los Angeles city panel Monday recommended a city-owned property on Oat Mountain, north of Chatsworth, be used for a no-kill sanctuary for feral cats.

The sanctuary, which would use the former barracks area of the onetime Nike missile base overlooking the San Fernando Valley, would be run by the Singita Animal Sanctuary, a Sylmar-based nonprofit organization that rescues and rehabilitates abandoned and homeless pets.

Jerry Greenwalt, general manager of the city's Animal Services Department, said the sanctuary would relieve some of the crowding in city animal shelters and would alleviate health and safety hazards caused by feral cat colonies.

"The feral cat situation in the city is difficult and in very many areas of city," Greenwalt told the City Council's Public Safety Committee.

Under the deal, Singita would lease the 25-acre site, which has been mostly vacant since the city acquired it in the 1960s, for $1 annually under five-year contracts. The isolated property is miles away from homes and businesses.

Singita plans to renovate existing structures at cost of about $240,000. Officials expect the city to incur no cost.

The sanctuary would take in about 300 cats and "socialize" as many of them as it could, with a goal of finding permanent homes for 15 percent, officials said.

---

NoahsMommy
06-10-2003, 01:12 PM
That is wonderful news!!!! I can't wait to check it out once they are established!!!!

ramanth
06-10-2003, 01:24 PM
Excellent!

Lots of luck that it happens. :)

RICHARD
06-10-2003, 01:36 PM
sorry about not posting WHERE the article came from...the Lost Angeles Daily News 6/10/03..

it's right up the street from my house..i can hardly wait either!!

Cataholic
06-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
sorry about not posting WHERE the article came from...the Lost Angeles Daily News 6/10/03..

it's right up the street from my house..i can hardly wait either!!

The Los Angeles Dailyl News is right up the street from your house? Wow, you must get the news first, eh?

RICHARD
06-10-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Wow, you must get the news first, eh?

no, the guy that delivers the paper gets the news first, i'm an afterthought.

mesiecat
06-10-2003, 03:02 PM
I wish other towns would at least adopt the attitude, of trying to do something with animals, other than putting them to sleep. My city and county can't even agree on who is to run the animal shelter, which at one time had a 5% adoption rate. We have a city shelter, run with city money and a county shelter run by the woman who let all the animals there during a snowstorm freeze to death because she took the kerosene heaters home with her. PetSmart tries but alot of people cant afford 125.00 for a pet.

moosmom
06-10-2003, 09:09 PM
That is WONDERFUL news!!! Now they'll have food and shelter and can live out their natural lives in peace, without having to worry where their next meal will come from.

It's about time! Too bad other states can't or won't follow suit (like Florida!!!) Maybe someone should send the article to Jeb Bush.

RICHARD
06-21-2003, 01:03 PM
yesterday the LA city council approved the
feral cat colony!!!!!!

Cheshirekatt
06-21-2003, 01:50 PM
Right on. :D