PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to a little common courtesy???

moosmom
06-09-2003, 11:59 AM
As you guys know, I've been unemployed for the last 4 months. I send out roughly 3-5 resumes a week to anything I am remotely qualified for. I applied to the Michigan Humane Society over a month ago. I was told by the woman doing the hiring that there were 4 openings. I have heard nothing from anyone!!! No reject letters or reject e-mails - NOTHING!!!

I just called a parochial school I applied to find out the status. The job was filled!

I am getting so frustrated over this whole thing. It used to be that you'd get a letter saying "thank you for applying but we've filled the position". *Sigh*

I am doing everything in my power to find a job. This economy sucks big time! I even applied to PetSmart and called them once a week for over 3 months to find out the status after the manager promised me he'd call me. They hired someone else!!

I am so disappointed. I haven't let it get to me up to this point, but it's getting a little difficult to keep my chin up when no one even acknowledges your efforts.

Thanks for listening guys. I guess I just needed to vent.

ramanth
06-09-2003, 12:25 PM
*HUGS*

I must say that is indeed rude to say you'll notify someone and then not. :mad:

I hope something comes your way soon.

catland
06-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Vent all you want - that's what we're here for!

Have you considered going to a temp service? My company does a lot of their staffing through them. They aren't the "kelly girls" that some of us might remember from our youth. Some even offer medical and vacation benefits.

carole
06-09-2003, 04:17 PM
I feel your fustration Donna, yep its the same here in nz, they just pick the cream of the bunch these days, and dont even bother to send back your c.vs anymore, and they cost money to get them done, not cheap.
There are a few with good old fashioned manners, that do send letter and resumes back, but not many.
Lets face it there are some things about the good old days, we just cant get back. sigh.

captain
06-09-2003, 05:43 PM
Australia is the same. You send out CV's and they send you NOTHING in return. Not even a "thanks, but no thanks"

Manners "died" in the 60's!!!

lynnestankard
06-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Preaching to the choir Donna!

Lots of people over here complain of this too - just out and out bad manners. Makes my blood boil - what did happen to common courtesy?

Good Luck with the ongoing job hunt though - fingers and paws crossed over here.

Lynne

Cincy'sMom
06-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Both my parents are still looking for jobs too... I think they have gotten a few "rejection" letters, and even a few phone calls, but from others, nothing. My mom went in for a 2nd interview (a working interview) at a vet's office. After spenind the morning their, learning how to open files and clean rooms, etc. the vet told her , "well, I'll decide in a few weeks. Even if you don't hear from me for a while doesn't mean you didn't get it....but you can call if you get too antsy" What kind of attitude is that ?

It is a hard time to find a job, and I don't envy anyone looking. Part of me once to look for anew job, with more oppertunity for advancement, but right now my job is stable so i feel it is best to stay put.

Cataholic
06-09-2003, 06:15 PM
Donna,
that temp thing 'might' be the answer. We hired several people after they temped for us. I would also look to insurance companys...as a customer service rep, or some other entry level. Look for 'recession proof' occupations- things NOT affected by the economy....insurance, the medical community, the legal community...bad or good times, someone wants to sue some one....good luck! And, remember, it isn't how many resumes you send out, just that you send out the one that leads to the job.

Also, any chance of looking into going back to school? Make yourself more marketable? (and, in case you are thinking of the 'I'm too old'...don't even try it here).

lizbud
06-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Moosmom,

I feel for you, I really do. Looking for a job, going thru the process of answering ads or leads, sending out resumes & hoping to get to talk to a REAL LIVE person....then nothing.:( I swear,it's one of the most trying times in a person's life.(in my opinion)

It's much harder than actually working somewhere, anywhere.
It has a way of wearing even the strongest person down. Please
just try to hang in there.:) I think the temp idea that others have
mentioned might be a good idea. A lot of permanent jobs began
as temporary ones. Best of luck to you.:) Liz.

Karen
06-09-2003, 08:54 PM
All I can suggest is that we all, if we are in the position, to send out rejection notices.

Never been in that position, and I have usually called to follow up on interviews and gotten updates that way. I have been fortunate, and never been totally unemployed for long, though.

I know people who just work through temp agencies - it is getting to be more and more common for businesses to rely on temps rather than hiring more people, I am not sure what your job skills or wants are, but temping may be an option for you ...

I guess the cats are still not bringing in any cash of their own to support you, huh? ;) "It's okay, mum, we'll buy the kitty food this week, oh, and maybe some treats for you, too!"

Steffi N
06-09-2003, 09:23 PM
I agree that job hunting these days is very frustrating. I too have interviewed on positions, waited a long time, and never heard anything. I enjoy the ad agency where I am working part time as an editor, but there is just not enough work to hire a full-time person.
Things are very slow. I'm registered with several temp agencies, and I'm not even getting much work through them. Just keep on truckin', Donna, and good luck. Meanwhile let's enjoy the extra time with our kitties.

binka_nugget
06-09-2003, 09:30 PM
Don't worry, I know what you're going through and I'm sure you'll find something right when the moment comes. I've been unemployed since last summer. It was my first job too (SUBWAY YUCK!). Being only 15, I'm trying to find reasonable places that would hire a student. I recently had an interview for Playland (an amusement park). A majority of their staff are my age, so I thought I'd have a chance at it. I had applied last year also...last year and this year...I got no phone call, no email..nothing. They could have at least said when we would hear from them if we did get the job. I'm going to apply at quizno's tomorrow...I doubt I'll get it..no one wants to hire a student. Good luck on your job hunting!

IttyBittyKitty
06-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by captain
Australia is the same. You send out CV's and they send you NOTHING in return. Not even a "thanks, but no thanks"

Manners "died" in the 60's!!!

Too right ... my partner was unemployed for over a year (he is a qualified I.T technician, and not only that, an absolute genius with computers!) and he sent out about 10 job applications a day.

That's around 3,000 job applications!

Interviews? 3
Return letters? 20 (approx)
Phone calls? 10 (approx)

You do the math!!! In the end I just got him a job at Telstra when I was working there...

Brie
06-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately it's not always just a hiring manager being rude by not sending out a rejection letter, it's time. Unfortunately in this enconomy it's more likely that more than 20 people applied for the position and the person just doesn't have the time to deal with it. I have used craigslist booth looking for employees and job hunting and the last job I posted for my employer got over 103 email replies!!! crazyness.

The next thing is.... how do you choose a handful to do interviews out of 103+???

I am in the same boat, I'm unemployed. But, I did take a temporary job. I'm working for the Oakland Zoo doing data entry (I'm on lunch right now). And doing some pet sitting jobs on the side, bringing a small amount of money every month.

Just throwing out my methods for job hunting (things everybody probably already knows, but, maybe there's somebody I can help out there):

I use all the online job hunting websites, craigslist, yahoo, monster, careerbuilder, here in the bay we have bayareahelpwanted.com. I think all of those websites also have my resume posted.

I also go directly to the source. Grab a phonebook for your area or an area you'd like to work and go to everybodies websites (sometimes you'll spend 10-15 minutes just trying to find their open positions listing) And if the company doesn't have a website call or walk in (with resume and cover letter in hand)

One of the things I've been told over and over again by hiring managers is that people applied for the position, but, when you read their cover letter, it's form, it's not specific to the duties and their experience relevant to the position, those are the people that are applying to every single job posting and don't really care about the position.
For the younger group out there and even those asked to fill out an application on top of a resume, remember to cater your application too! Make sure your experience from a past job that is relevant to the position your applying for is made a really big deal of!

I too (and my husband... who is now working full-time at Home Depot to make ends meet after his layoff) am incredibly frustrated by the down economy. So please, let it off your chest, there's a lot of people in the same boat out there that are more than happy to provide an ear, advise and a hug of support!

Keep your head up.

On a brighter side of things: the market is on the gain! The dow Jones is up over 9000 today (so far!) ::crosses fingers:: and hopes is stays that way! ;)

Barbara
06-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Donna, I am sorry to hear that. And yes, people could at least send your CVs back. I am in a position to hire people (although we do not hire at the moment for economic problems) and you can easily get 100 applications. And I think you can first send the ones back that do not fulfill the requirements, then you can pick the ones for the interviews. I call everyone with whom I had an interview, even if I have to say no.

I hope that you find something soon- at the moment it's bad worldwide but things come and go in cycles.

HoRsELUvR
06-10-2003, 03:58 PM
The people really should have let you know that the job was filled.That's pretty irresponsible of them.I hope you will be able to find a good job that you like soon.Good luck!

moosmom
06-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Well, I started calling temp agencies today and was able to get out 4 resumes. I explained to them that I was looking for something temp to perm. They were very understanding and told me they'd call me in a day or so once they've had a chance to review my resume.

I also called the Humane Society again. I left a message with the vet who is doing the hiring. He hasn't called me back because he was busy seeing patients. I'm going to keep on calling till I get an answer. I want this job so bad I can taste it!!!

Thanks for all your support and advice everyone! You're the best!!

Cinder & Smoke
06-10-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by moosmom

I also called the Humane Society again.
I left a message with the vet who is doing the hiring.
He hasn't called me back because he was busy seeing patients...

Hey Moo's Mum ~

So whas'sa problem *seein da Vet*?? :confused:

Ya gotz a hole HERD of 'skucez ta *see da Vet*!

Pik a Kat; toss em inna Porta-Prizin; an off ya goez.
Walk in an say ya gotta *see da Vet*...

Wunst ya *see da Vet* ~
start sellin yerself! :D

Summtymez ya jest gotta get *kreeative*! :p

4 Dog Mother
06-10-2003, 09:36 PM
My job was eliminated last summer and I have been looking for a job every since. Carl's factory closed and he has been looking since the end of September. As Amy said, we both send our resumes and most often hear nothing. I have had interviews and heard nothing. And I had that interesting second working interview and still do not know if I am going to get the job or not.

I am registered at about every temp agency in town. And only one of them calls me to work at the same office when one of the two girls is out sick or on vacation. I have asked why I am not getting anything and am told that they are not getting called for office jobs. I guess it is the economy. I did talk to a human rescource person at one company and she thought she would have a temp job open during a maternity leave and then the company decided that several of the secretaries near that area could cover while she was out. I think that is happening a lot - if someone is out for awhile they just have others cover and make do. And when Carl was working and an engineer quit, they would often just divide the work up and not replace that person.

It is tough but hang in there. The tide has to turn sooner or later and we just have to keep praying it is sooner. Will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

wolflady
06-11-2003, 12:16 AM
I hear ya Donna! I can totally relate to your plight. I have gotten so burnt out from posting resumes lately. I posted 39 resumes (and wrote nice specific cover letters for each one too!!) in one day last week...and still...no call, email...nothing from any of them! I thought for sure I would have at least gotten one from that bunch!
What really gets me is what positions are really available and which ones are bogus. It's a waste of my time to appy for a job that does not exist. It takes me a good 15 minutes just to write each cover letter! I know in some companies, they have to post certain positions, even if none are available. The company that I was previously working for (I was laid off 3 weeks ago now) had to post an open position for some legal reason, even though the position was already filled (by and H1 visa holder). That's just bull. I just don't agree with that, because how many jobs do I see on the net that are bogus like that? It's a waste of my time and their time, you know?
I am frustrated, and things are pretty tight right now. Temping might be a good idea. I have considered that. A friend of mine mentioned Office Team and Robert Half Technology as a really good temp agency. I figure I will try to find a good marketing job somewhere for some time before I go to the temp agency, because I know they could place me, but I'm not ready to slave away for 8 hours a day for 9-14 dollars an hour. Meanwhile, just to get a break from posting resumes, I have been volunteering at my local humane society a couple of hours a day. It's fun, and it's a good way to relieve stress.
There have been several positions that I have applied for that were a completely perfect fit, and it's a bit frustrating when you still don't get an opportunity, even through a phone interview! Hang in there hon, and hopefully something good will come our way soon!
**hugs**
Karen

Edwina's Secretary
06-11-2003, 10:08 AM
I work in human resources in high technology. Two years ago we were paying signing bonuses to new hires. In over 25 years I have never seen a job market like it is today.

We aren't doing any hiring. If someone leaves...we figure out a way to make do.

My husband needed an administrative assistant for his business. I offered to screen the resumes (who better knows what he needs in an admin ;) ;) ) His company posted the job on Monster Board. In 24 hours I had received over 3000 resumes. I had to ask them to take it off. I could not process any more imformation.

I have friends in the recruiting business. Right now they are suffering because the best way to get a job is network, network, network. Employers look for less expensive ways to fill jobs -- employee referrals, etc.

Temp to perm is a great way to go as well.

And...the early bird gets the worm...of those 3000 resumes...it was maybe the first 100 I really looked over carefully.

BTW....my situation is precarious so I too send out resumes....and get no responses...and these are my collegues!

All that said....positive mental energy is so important....keep the faith and ask people for help. It makes them feel good and just might lead to a job!

catlady1945
06-11-2003, 10:32 AM
I can understand not replying to everyone who sends in a resume. Sometimes there are hundreds. A lot of ads say thank you for applying but we will only contact those selected for an interview, which is fair enough. BUT - when you take the time to go for an interview and then never hear anything - that is just rude, and that is probably how they treat their employees!

gini
06-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary

All that said....positive mental energy is so important....keep the faith and ask people for help. It makes them feel good and just might lead to a job!

Donna, Sara has said it all in just that one sentence.

I have a young friend who has relocated to California from Boston. He is an engineer and he left a very well paid position. He has been here since last August and aside from a handful of interviews - he has found NOTHING. This is the worst job market I have seen for years and years. It is very depressing for young people who have just graduated and are ready to start their careers. Instead they find themselves living off of Mom and Dad.