PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Dogs Warm in Winter

Trish Thurmon
10-19-2001, 04:15 PM
I live in the northwest Texas Panhandle.
I have been been using heatlamps in the dog houses but that is not safe. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a large black lab and white samoyed and they don't like to stay in the house overnight, even when it's icy and snowy. Thanks.

zippy-kat
10-19-2001, 04:54 PM
Hi Trish!

Wolfforth, TX...that's close to Lubbock isn't it? My parents live in Hobbs, NM--you're almost neighbors! lol

What kind of doghouse do you use? I've heard that the Igloo shaped ones are good. Our dog (boxer) refuses to sleep inside. She just has a 'regular' doghouse--though it is set up on bricks so it isn't directly on the cement. We sometimes warm her 'blankies' in the dryer before tucking her in at night. lol

Sorry I don't have much advice--I'm sure our other members do, though!

Welcome to Pettalk!

Rottie
10-19-2001, 05:38 PM
Maybe you could put some straw down to keep a little warmer. You could also put some kind of flap on the door to keep the wind out.

jackiesdaisy1935
10-19-2001, 05:53 PM
I also read where the Igloo dog houses were great for warmth, maybe some kind of a washable pad to sleep on in the dog house. I'm afraid I can't give you too much advice on this subject, our dogs think they are being punished if they have to go outside. :D
Jackie

ilovehounds
10-20-2001, 10:53 AM
Straw is the best thing you can use, it holds in the heat and keeps animals nice and toasty warm, as snug as a bug :D Also maybe insulate the dog house.
Oh and don't put a door on the dog house, to keep it shut up because that only makes it colder inside.
If you use straw then don't feel bad about them staying out in the cold because it does really work. We use it for our ducks, rabbits, goats, pigs, and my hound Copper who also will not come in the house.

aly
10-20-2001, 09:54 PM
Besides all the other great suggestions, you could also heat a large rock in the oven then wrap it in blankets and put it in there for the dogs to cuddle with. I do that with my baby foster kittens and puppies, although they're not outside but love to snuggle with a warm thing.

Eudora
10-20-2001, 11:10 PM
I don't really ahve that problem except when it's just rained in the morning and everyone is still kind of cold. then Cookie will come inside and snuggle with me. i love that and she does as well.

mruffruff
10-23-2001, 01:41 PM
While straw will keep the dogs fairly warm, it also attracts fleas. Better to use cedar chips. A doghouse should not be too large or too small. The idea is for the dog's body heat to keep him/her warm.

I also like the igloo type dog houses. They are insulated for comfort both winter & summer. They clean easily and last forever.

A flap on the door may not be necessary in Texas but in Michigan's sub-zero winters it's a necessity. The flaps don't seal well so there is still some circulation. At the very least, see that the door doesn't face the incoming wind.

Some of the doghouses have vents in the roof that can be opened and closed.

How cold does it get where you are?

Shoshonee
10-23-2001, 09:09 PM
While reading your question I remembered seeing a heating device for pet beds. After much searching (I am exceptionally organized,ha ha :D ) I found it in a Jeffers Pet Catalog. It's a disk that you microwave and put under the bed. It lasts 12hrs. Pretty reasonable too, $20.00. They have other ones too that are a little more expensive. Hope that helps!

Phred
10-24-2001, 12:42 AM
Here are click links to the Jeffers site that "Shones" just mentioned.

The Microwave Heater is shown on this page of the Jeffers catalog: "Snuggle Safe Microwave Heating Pad" (http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=MFHTQ6V7Q4FL8KS9C3D8KFK7CJ7X86XC).

The JeffersPet.com home page is at: JeffersPet.com (http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/).

A lot of the other heaters and heated beds shown on the Jeffers site require 120 volt AC power to operate. That means a *shock* hazard to your Pupper if he/she gets bored :( and decides to make a chew toy out of the power cord :eek:. I don't know how "chewy" the heater that is warmed in your microwave might be...? :rolleyes:

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Phred ]